Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And Civil War should easily top that based on North American box office take alone. Batman V. Superman had no business making anything less than making a billion but a box office of only 340 something million in America is a letdown to say the least.

It's an Avengers film that adds Spider-Man, so I'd expect Civil War to emerge the victor at the box office. People have some kind of inbuilt bias against Snyder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 AM

22,958 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It did get good reviews.
Your review doesn't count.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
People have some kind of inbuilt bias against Snyder.
Or could it be that we've seen enough of his movies to see his continued weaknesses as a filmmaker?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Debating semantics at this point. I don't know that I would call BvS a "flop," but it was certainly a major disappointment for WB. No sane person seriously doubts that. This was supposed to be the biggest movie of the year and launch the DC movie-verse as THE next big thing. It did neither, and garnered nothing but bad reviews.

Marvel is really, really good at making movies that please the comic book fans yet still appeal to general audiences. DC is only doing half of that --- and not very well.

If Suicide Squad under performs, I suspect a lot of key players are going to start losing their jobs.
I am unsure on Suicide Squad flopping. I think it will be a fun dark movie and very good, the issue is how much it translates to the general moviegoers rather than comic book fans like Batman V. Superman basically did. I loved the comic book movies that are a little more based towards us but the general audience has proven to not go to them like The Watchmen and if they see it, not like it Batman V. Superman.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Your review doesn't count.

It counts more than yours — wait, you don't have one. You didn't bother seeing the movie.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
It's an Avengers film that adds Spider-Man, so I'd expect Civil War to emerge the victor at the box office. People have some kind of inbuilt bias against Snyder.
There's that some DC hate from Marvel fans (something I try not to do myself though I am more attracted to Marvel characters except for say a Green Lantern, Green Arrow or Flash.) The bigger thing was panned reviews and word of mouth. The difference with general public word of mouth now is social media spreads word faster. Before we had to wait until our circle saw a movie like say Spider-Man 3 to say it sucked. Now we can check metacritic, rotten tomatoes and twitter to see a movie like say The Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Fantastic Four were horrible messes.

Quote:
Or could it be that we've seen enough of his movies to see his continued weaknesses as a filmmaker?
Ridley Scott was written off after Exodus: Gods & Kings until The Martian came out. The problem with Snyder is besides The Watchmen, none of his films are universally beloved. Scott had his name from Alien, Blade Runner and American Gangsta, Synder just has The Watchmen which wasn't a box office success at all. I liked Man of Steel and loved Batman V. Superman but am meh towards Sucker Punch.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Synder just has The Watchmen which wasn't a box office success at all. I liked Man of Steel and loved Batman V. Superman but am meh towards Sucker Punch.
I'm not a fan of the film, but 300 did pretty well. It was made for 65 million and earned $456M worldwide. It was popular for a good minute.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the film, but 300 did pretty well. It was made for 65 million and earned $456M worldwide. It was popular for a good minute.
I was speaking of the films that I've seen. Didn't want to be unfair because I knew there was more.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It counts more than yours — wait, you don't have one. You didn't bother seeing the movie.
Touche, sir.

But this is the Internet. Since when is an informed opinion necessary?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I was speaking of the films that I've seen. Didn't want to be unfair because I knew there was more.
I haven't watched SuckerPunch, myself, so I can't comment on it. But John Scalzi liked it, if that means anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies