Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:13 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Yeah, it's a "flop" even though it's grossed over 150 million more than DoFP (which ended its theatrical run in the red). You can't overlook one tentpole film for another, unless you're playing the Pro/Con game. You say you're not anti-DC, but I've a hard time believing that.
It wasn't a flop by any definition. But it was definitely a disappointment for the studio. Not only in terms of box office receipts, but in general critical reviews.

DC didn't fumble on this one. But it didn't get them into the playoffs other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I don't want that for the DCEU. I want their films to have a different (darker) tone.
It depends on the character. Batman should have a darker tone. He is the Dark Knight.

But Superman? Wonder Woman? No. Superman shouldn't be about angst. Superman is about bringing light to the darkness.

Quote:
The MCU is already that way, and though the Russos are able to (arguably) make better films than their predecessors, they're still not quite where I'd like them to be. Otherwise, we wouldn't have Widow & Hawkeye exchanging jokes while they're fighting on opposing sides.
Yeah, I get very tired of the snark. For characters like Spidey or Deadpool, it can work. For the others, all too often it comes across like someone farting at the dinner table. You might chuckle occasionally, but the meal is better without it.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,133,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
DC just cannot topple Marvel in the film contest. .
Not even close. And I enjoy most DC movies (haven't seen BvS though).

Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 AM

So BvS is going to finish somewhere in the $875 million range. Certainly not a flop. But not the grand slam WB was hoping for either.

"Batman v Superman" Closing Out With $875M | News | Dark Horizons

Old 05-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
$875 million is certainly a lot of money, but they spent well over $800 million making and promoting the movie. The profit margin is very slim.
True.

Plus you have to keep in mind that "profitable" isn't the point in movies these days. The accountants can juggle receipts and cook the books to make any movie as profitable or unprofitable as they want it to be. See: How Hollywood Accounting Can Make a $450 Million Movie 'Unprofitable' - The Atlantic

But that really isn't the point. Movie studios are run by corporations these days, and the mission of corporations is not to be profitable but to maximize profits. Dozens of people come up with profit projections based on upcoming products (including movies). When those projections aren't met, people lose their jobs, and studio executives making six figure incomes don't like to lose their jobs.

And that is why BvS is considered a disappointment. It made money. But it didn't make the maximum amount of money that the suits wanted it to.

If they were smart, they'd say, "Thanks, Zack. We really appreciate all your efforts, but we're going to take things in a different direction," then hire someone to do that. Instead, they'll keep Zack and a bunch of accountants and marketing executives will be second- and third-guessing his every move and the moves of the other directors.

And this is one of the many reasons all the real filmmaking talent is on TV these days.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,592,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So BvS is going to finish somewhere in the $875 million range. Certainly not a flop. But not the grand slam WB was hoping for either.

"Batman v Superman" Closing Out With $875M | News | Dark Horizons

It seemed to have made all that money opening week & then just died after that.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,196,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It seemed to have made all that money opening week & then just died after that.
The terrible critical reception and mixed audience reception took a heavy toll.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 AM

406 posts, read 289,637 times
BvS was envisioned as a royal flush. It is at best a two pair. Then we are threatened with a Justice League film - as early as next year! Suicide Squad does what for the DC universe? Expand? Yes. Connect? No

Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
BvS was envisioned as a royal flush. It is at best a two pair. Then we are threatened with a Justice League film - as early as next year! Suicide Squad does what for the DC universe? Expand? Yes. Connect? No
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think WB has any idea what they're doing. They seem to be throwing stuff at the screen and hoping something sticks.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM

406 posts, read 289,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think WB has any idea what they're doing. They seem to be throwing stuff at the screen and hoping something sticks.
There is a looming crisis awaiting them. Audiences may have already picked winners and losers within an increasingly saturated market of superhero based films. Akin to an MLB expansion team setting up shop in Yankee territory, WB might be competing for third place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies