Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 07:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,219,734 times

Advertisements

Give examples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 24,001,717 times
The Matrix, Agent Smith was defending the system and trying to keep people plugged in to feed the machines.
Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ultron saw the evils of the world, especially Shield and the Avengers and thought the world would be prefect without them and the rest of humanity.
Batman Begins, the League of Shadows led by Ra's al Gaul tried to destroy Gotham due to the crime that had overrun the city.
Watchmen, just watch it if you haven't already. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,343,019 times
The Last of the Mohicans I can't blame Magua. I would have done the same thing. I could imagine the anger and hatred he must have felt.

No Mercy: .

Old 12-26-2015, 11:50 PM

2,322 posts, read 927,228 times
The Rock (1996)
Brigadier General Frank Hummel

From Wikipedia...
Quote:
A group of rogue U.S. Force Recon Marines, led by disenchanted Brigadier General Frank Hummel and his adjutant Major Tom Baxter, seize a stockpile of deadly VX gas–armed M55 rockets. The next day, Hummel and his men seize control of Alcatraz Island and take eighty three tourists hostage. Hummel threatens to launch the rockets against San Francisco unless the government pays $100 million from a military slush fund, which he will distribute to his men and the families of Recon Marines who died on clandestine missions under his command and whose deaths were not compensated.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:52 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,406,916 times
BLADE RUNNER.

The entire point of the end of this movie is that the "hero" is wrong (and knows it) and the supposed "villains" had a legitimate complaint. By the end of this movie, if you aren't rooting for Roy Batty --- at least a little --- you haven't been paying attention.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM

12,334 posts, read 17,190,293 times
Tamara-High school student is killed after being the victim of a cruel prank, And the perpetrators try to cover the crime up. She then returns with supernatural powers to take revenge. It was hard to feel sorry for the victims. I know what you did Last Summer is another with a similar theme. Both villains were regular innocent people before they became victims.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,809,577 times
Seconding Watchmen.

Also, all the X-men movies with Magneto as the primary antagonist (which I guess means 1 and 3, I think?). His means are a overreaching a bit, but one could argue that he's driven to those means as an effort towards continued survival.

The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. She just wanted her sister's shoes back, the shoes that Dorothy got by murder-via-house-dropping.

Terry Benedict from Ocean's 11 (2001). He was the one that GOT ROBBED. By a guy whose girlfriend left him. Not "cheated on him with a guy who knew they were together". So you're dating some girl and her ex-boyfriend gets a bunch of friends together and robs you?

Jason - Friday the 13th series. I'd be pissed too if a bunch of kids were picking on me for being handicapped, let me drown, and the people who were supposed to stop that from happening were off having sex and/or murdering my mother.

Leatherface probably applies for similar reasons as Jason.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:48 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,920,433 times
I agree with the suggestions of Magneto and Roy Baty.

Yes, for BladeRunner the entire premise of the original story (despite Ridley Scott's failure to understand it) is that the replicants had become more human--more likely to pass the test for humanity--than the humans who hunted them.

And Magneto in the X-men movies is the textbook example of "how to build a sympathetic villain." He's absolutely right in his apprehension of the danger mutants faced from humans. And I'd argue he's not really wrong in the measures he takes to combat that problem.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 PM

12,334 posts, read 17,190,293 times
I would like to add The Gift with Joel Edgerton and Jason Bateman. It became very hard to side with the protagonist due to his dark, violent actions both past and present.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:34 PM

1,300 posts, read 967,186 times
Definitely The Last Samauri.

Also, Anna and the King
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies