Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar
Saw. He just wanted people to appreciate their lives more.
Yes as John was slowly dying he became mad that OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE HEALTHY DIDNT CARE ONE BIT ABOUT THIER LIVES!!

The first one was the best!! (I have it on VHS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,630,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Titanic: Cal had every right to be pissed off at Jack and Rose, seeing as how the girl was his fiancee and yet was cheating on him with the guy she had just met. I thought it was a copout that the filmmakers made him pointlessly callous and annoying. ("Half the people on this ship are going to die." "Not the better half." I mean, come on, who actually says that?)
Well, even Rose's mother asked whether the lifeboats would be seated according to class. lol I don't think Cal was that bad though. He did what he had to do to survive (i.e. trying to pay for a lifeboat seat and when that didn't work, pretending like he had a child). His sidekick (who was that guy?) was more of a villain than Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes as John was slowly dying he became mad that OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE HEALTHY DIDNT CARE ONE BIT ABOUT THIER LIVES!!

The first one was the best, but I have at least five of the DVDs. There was always a twist ending so you just had to watch all of the movies! They stopped at Saw 7, right?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Not a first time, of course.

I WENT into a public 'ouse to get a pint o'beer, The publican 'e up an' sez, ``We serve no red-coats here.'' The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die, I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' ``Tommy, go away''; But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play, The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play, O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be, They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me; They sent me to the gallery or round the music 'alls, But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' ``Tommy, wait outside''; But it's ``Special train for Atkins'' when the trooper's on the tide, The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide, O it's ``Special train for Atkins'' when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap; An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' ``Tommy how's yer soul?'' But it's ``Thin red line of 'eroes'' when the drums begin to roll, The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll, O it's ``Thin red line of 'eroes'' when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too, But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you; An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints: Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an ``Tommy, fall be'ind,'' But it's ``Please to walk in front, sir,'' when there's trouble in the wind, There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind, O it's ``Please to walk in front, sir,'' when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an'schools, an' fires an' all: We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational. Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' ``Chuck him out, the brute!'' But it's ``Saviour of 'is country,'' when the guns begin to shoot; Yes it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please; But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool--you bet that Tommy sees!

Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,554,212 times
I would say Foul Play a 1978 movie with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase, in some small way , while I strongly disagree with the villain's attempt to kill the Pope which was very wrong, their gripe about how greedy and out of control the Catholic church had become was interesting in view of the fact that the movie came out about 5 years before the first child sex allegations against priests started making news.

It may be one of the few movies that has a villain with a real social issue opinion right or wrong.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 02-04-2016 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,625,117 times
Political films are usually insightful on 'villainy'....

'Michael Collins' is a case in point. Sometimes a man just has to do what he's got to do. Just to stay in the game. If you don't game is over!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I was always pretty sympathetic to Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men". I think they made his character very belligerent, but if you just look at the facts, he makes sense.
Yup. This is a great example.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:04 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,608,399 times
Let the right one in - i cared about the vamps and wanted them to have their nourishment. My sister disagrees - she loved the film but thought their killing and using the helper was abhorrent. so, yeah, I was routing for murderers.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I was always pretty sympathetic to Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men". I think they made his character very belligerent, but if you just look at the facts, he makes sense.
The Marine colonels I knew at the time of the movie's release, however, disagreed that his point was valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies