Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As far as Captain America and guns. I supposed his super soldierness would also give sniper skills but just as Thor pulls his punches so does Cap. In WWII it meant that the Nazi/Hydra would have to care for the wounded instead of leaving behind the dead.

HYDRA leaves their wounded behind anyway (if they don't take the extra time and ammo to shoot them first). The Wehrmacht wasn't that calloused, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I thought the same thing. Why are super heroes so addicted to punching? Why doesn't IRON MAN just spray Cap with a cloud of tear gas? Or knockout gas? Why doesn't someone hit Black Widow or Spidey or Ant Man with a tranqulizer dart? Why wouldn't someone be smart enough to take out IRON MAN with an EMP? Why has Cap developed a sudden aversion to guns?

No. All super heroes can do is punch and fly and flip around.
'Cause Cap don't care 'bout no tear gas--he's just that bad azz.

Iron man's suit is already protected against EMP (which isn't really the commonly assumed threat-to-end-all-threats--that's why US Air Force war plans actually included B-52 bombers navigating through the nuclear missile lay-down patterns on the way to their own targets).

The point actually made a couple of times in CA:CC is that they were pulling their punches.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
Quote:
I thought the same thing. Why are super heroes so addicted to punching? Why doesn't IRON MAN just spray Cap with a cloud of tear gas? Or knockout gas? Why doesn't someone hit Black Widow or Spidey or Ant Man with a tranqulizer dart? Why wouldn't someone be smart enough to take out IRON MAN with an EMP? Why has Cap developed a sudden aversion to guns?

Thor, could finish all of them off by summoning lighting & frying them all.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

The point actually made a couple of times in CA:CC is that they were pulling their punches.
War Machine actually called for a phasers on stun "take out his engines so he could glide in", attack on Falcon when he got hit by friendly fire and his armor didn't have the glide and eject capabilities that Falcon's rig does

Old 05-12-2016, 10:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,627,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Just once.

Spoiler
Wanda zapped Widow while Hawkeye was fighting her. He looked at her, and her response was "You were pulling your punches!"

Wanda should've shown up sooner to prevent another one-liner.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Just once.

Spoiler
Wanda zapped Widow while Hawkeye was fighting her. He looked at her, and her response was "You were pulling your punches!"

Wanda should've shown up sooner to prevent another one-liner.
See post #124 for another instance.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Spoiler
Black Widow can withstand a concussive grenade blast mere feet from her.

But there's something else.

Spoiler
Falcon developed Spider-Sense! That's how War Machine got messed up.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Thor, could finish all of them off by summoning lighting & frying them all.

Too bad that wasn't his strategy against the Chitauri until Cap instructed him.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:41 AM

One blogger has pointed out that Agents of SHIELD already has a more significant plot than CA:CC that CA:CC is weakened by not acknowledging: A whole freaking planet full of brand new InHumans, not to mention a host of lesser superheroes like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage.

Once those are considered, the need to get a handle on the special powered human situation becomes a lot more urgent--and should have been part of Tony Stark's argument.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I loved the movie. I had my quibbles, sure. Too many scenes devolved into silly punching. I wish there'd been a tad more logic applied to parts of the plot. But despite its flaws it is still a great movie. One of Marvel's best.

Did Spidey need to be in this movie? No. But honestly, it is very deftly handled. The intro in Queens is actually done with both a lot of humor and subtlety. It's very well done. Spidey and Black Panther were the highlights of the movie for me. I also really liked the fact that the villain has a point. His motivations are completely and totally sympathetic. This was one of the only super hero movies that managed a few plot twists that honestly surprised me.
On that...I am compelled to disagree.

Spoiler
Spider-Man was in the movie, then out of the movie, then back in the movie.

There are several jarring transitions in the movie, and the introduction of Peter is one of them. The scene stuck out like a wart. It has that "filmed-in-post" feel to it.

The other thing was Stark's motivation to exploit Peter in the kind of battle he ended up in. The balance of power on both sides was so off one must wonder why Team Stark didn't have a better handle on things. Cap's ace-in-the-hole indeed turned out to be Ant-Man, though. Wanda also helped shift the tide.

But Spider-Man is far stronger than anyone on Team Cap, even Cap himself, and they didn't really convey that. Also, if Spidey had gone into overdrive with his web shooters, he could've had Natasha, Bucky and Cap bundled up like cotton balls in no time.

The other thing with Spider-Man is that he's there more as an advertisement for the upcoming movie than anything. They should've left him out and emphasized Black Panther more. That guy stole the show, as far as I'm concerned.

Some of the best moments:

*Scarlet Witch altering Vision's mass till he took the down elevator through layers of concrete

*Lang going Giant-Man #LikeABoss

*Vision phasing and adjusting his mass at will...he's the perfect weapon

*Spider-Man — yes, he has no biz being in the film, but as far as showing him off goes, no complaints here. The upcoming movie will rock. Holland's definitely better than Garfield.

As far as twists go:

Spoiler
That Zemo revenge plot was some super-basic stuff. "You killed my family, now I'm going to destroy you from within." He did it all a little too easily, by himself.

I didn't care for Falcon's sudden Spider-Sense. It was a convenience to let War Machine get hit by Vision.

They also wasted another great villain, Crossbones, very quickly. I couldn't believe that. That also telegraphed Cap would most definitely not be dying in the movie, but I was 98.8% certain he wasn't, anyway.

For everything Iron Man's got tucked up away the armor, he was nerfed in the final act.

And good grief...what's with all the SHAKY CAM in this movie? That was overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies