Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:24 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,600,807 times

Advertisements

Star Wars
Star Trek
Tremors
Serenity
Jurassic Park
Terminator
Guardians of the Galaxy
Back to the Future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,218,036 times
World of Tomorrow (2015), Don Hertzfeldt

Did you miss me?

Yes. At birth, I had inherited from you, the memory of myself meeting you right now.

What?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,882,086 times
Planet Of The Apes [the original]
Soylent Green
The Omega Man

I mean, 'c'mon... aside from the delicious effects that are dated, but in a charming way (the brief space travel at the beginning of Apes), to the obsolete views of the future to the cheap but entertaining view of the looming future (ex: the computers in Soylent), to the always entertaining over-acting of Charlton Heston... what's not to love?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:45 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,218,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Soylent Green
The Omega Man

I mean, 'c'mon... aside from the delicious effects that are dated, but in a charming way (the brief space travel at the beginning of Apes), to the obsolete views of the future to the cheap but entertaining view of the looming future (ex: the computers in Soylent), to the always entertaining over-acting of Charlton Heston... what's not to love?
I always think of SG whenever I see a butter knife or spoon with jam or jelly residue, or beef stew. ...

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 PM

421 posts, read 331,501 times
Star Wars movies

Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 PM

33,383 posts, read 26,698,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I like Tremors. That's a fun sci fi horror monster movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. I have a good time watching it.
The original Stargate movie with Kurt Russell is another one I like to watch from time to time.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,192,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Soylent Green
The Omega Man

Well, another reason why I like POTA is.......because I've played my own version of "Taylor". My first acting class, when we were told to pick a monologue, that's the one I picked, that speech. Sort of laid the ground for the parts I would often go after or get.

Ie, have done "Heywood Floyd" from "2010", a few space opera characters, a diver, and then on camera, a senior detective about ready to throttle my junior partner..........which considering that my acting partner forgot a section of his lines while we were rolling and didn't even know it, made it much easier to obtain that effect!

In any event, playing the part in this flick or that often gives me a new appreciation for the movie.

POTA had some interesting lines such as right before the hunt where Landon says, "We got off at the wrong stop" and Taylor responds with, "You're suppose to be the optimist, Landon. Look on the bright side; if this is the best they've got, in six months we'll be running the place.".

As far as "Soylent Green" goes, sort of reminds me of 2nd season Sea Quest. Ie, in the latter, the food supply situation was "brighter" but still pretty dim (beef outlawed, coffee at $120/lb). The thing of it was that "Soylent Green" was a dismal view of the future, through and through. Made that way, presented that way. With Sea Quest, they were showing a dim view in a positive light and they didn't know it. If the rehashed B movie stories and the lousy science didn't kill it, the poor packaging would.

As far as "Chuck's" over acting, I never particularly noticed. Chuck comes from a different era than how I've been trained. His, IMHO, was like what Trevor Howard said, " "we don't have the Method School of acting in England. We simply read the script, let it seep in, then go put on whiskers - and do it" (New York Times, January 8 1988). (IMDB)"

It's rather interesting to see the way they teach now, how I've been taught, and how it was perceived as it is presented in the flicks and such in its transition in the 70's. Ie, "Here's Lucy" in the episode "Lucy cuts Vincent's Price" and "UFO" "Mindbender" in the dailies scene.

Now, that said, I've skipped through Heston's acting diary at 1/2 Price and......what a prima dona!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,641,954 times
2001...Kubrick's masterpiece...works unconsciously within the mind as the powerful images come into view.I'd say the viewing experience is much better on large screens.

The film deals with many things impressed in our minds from millenias gone. Just makes one think on the experience of humanity in the cosmos. And also perhaps where it can and will go.
A film for all time.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM

188 posts, read 210,723 times
Event Horizon.

And I second Tremors. Love that one, too.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,705,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
The Time Machine with Rod Taylor
E.T.
The Terminator
A.I., Artifical Intelligence
Planet of the Apes
Jurassic Park
Them
War of the Worlds both the original and the one with Tom Cruise.
Big second on Them. A true classic. Even acted well. The ants singing in the desert. Lol...goosebumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies