Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM

689 posts, read 976,248 times

Advertisements

14Brick -Taking on everyone who disagrees with your perspective - on a movie thread! You seem one brick short of a load to me....

Why does everything always have to boil down to left vs right? The Salon link I posted was not merely (liberal) conjecture. The facts were backed with confirmed information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 PM

17,655 posts, read 13,445,419 times
This movie was not about war, it is about warriors and what war does to them. I don't care what anyone thinks about the politics, but respect the warriors!

I loved the movie. I did not serve in the military due to medical reasons. Many friends and relatives did.

All I can say is that when we went to see American Sniper there were many vets there who were sobbing at the end.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,171,635 times
Quote:
"Some people watching were just concentrating, but others were screaming 'shoot him! He has an IED, don't wait for permission!!'"
What moviegoers in Baghdad think of 'American Sniper', usatoday.com/, January 29, 2015

Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,395,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This movie was not about war, it is about warriors and what war does to them. I don't care what anyone thinks about the politics, but respect the warriors!

I loved the movie. I did not serve in the military due to medical reasons. Many friends and relatives did.

All I can say is that when we went to see American Sniper there were many vets there who were sobbing at the end.
Yeah, I think some of the criticizers of the politics protest too much. This a fictional account of a real person with artistic license thrown in.
Many on the left in Hollywood and some liberal political writers and movie critics want to criticize a fictional movie for portraying some events inaccurately but for years have had no problem with supporting Michael Moore getting Oscars for supposedly factual documentaries that are full of outright falsehoods and misrepresentations.
So a pro-American fictional movie has to be accurate , but left wing documentaries don't? This is irrational.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:02 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times
Another thing I find ludicrous is the thought that this movie somehow glorifies war and makes a hero out of a murderer (not my thoughts but the kind of stuff floating around these days).

This movie could very well have played well with the anti war and maybe some liberal types (because contrary to what some believe, not all liberals hate the military or are anti war).

There were several scenes in the movie (complete fabrications) that seem to convey the idea that the war in Iraq was pointless. Kyle killing a young boy (he never killed a boy in Iraq). Kyle meeting up with his Marine brother on the tarmac in Iraq, and the brother, with a pale and shaky look, tells Kyle, "f**k this place" (they never saw each other in Iraq). Kyle's SEAL teammate seemingly getting into a debate with Kyle about the pointlessness of the Iraq war, right before they go on a mission (never happened).

And as mentioned before, the movie in fact deliberately changed the demeanor and tone of Chris from the book. Gone are the inflammatory and unrepentant remarks made by Kyle in his book about killing and Iraqi's. The movie Chris is more somber, less bravado, a man gradually shaken and disillusioned from what he's experienced throughout his wars in Iraq and reduced to a crying, emotional wreck on an Iraq rooftop (he never made that call to his wife on the final mission, in fact that roof top sequence never even happened at all).

Even Clint Eastwood mentioned that "American Sniper" is anti-war, alluding to the military members that experience these wars and have to go back to their families.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,817,151 times
Michael Totten has spent years reporting from the middle east, to inform his readers of his experience imbedding with the U.S. Army. He shares his thoughts on this movie in a widely read New York City Journal...

Michael J. Totten
The Truth About American Sniper
Chris Kyle wasn’t a savage; he killed savages.
30 January 2015

The best line in the read was this quote...
Quote:
“I get a lot less liberal when people are trying to kill me.”
...but you'll have to read the article to find out who said it.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:29 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
I didn't finish reading Totten's critique of the movie--
he admits that the character who uses a drill on Iraqui civilians (including a child) is ficticious--
then uses that ficticious character's behavior to justify Kyle's actions??? which didn't happen because Kyle couldn't search for a man who didn't exist or kill a man (the sniper who shot his friend) who didn't exist--what part of FANTASY does he not understand???
how accurate is that???

The movie is a pastiche of facts from Kyle's book written with two ghostwriters and my perception based on Kyle's comments about Jesse Ventura and other comments he made that another Seal took exception to I think his memoire could be stitched out of some truth and some elaboration---
Eastwood and the script writer then used dramatic license to further create a senario that made Kyle a SuperMan type of hero vs a SuperBad type of enemy---

no one is denying that fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan wasn't bloody and deadly and often fraught with complications since too many times US soldiers were fighting people who looked like civilians--
but it WAS a war against civilians--some of whom maybe had been in Saddam's army and some of whom just didn't want the US invading THEIR country...

The Iraquis didn't fly into the twin towers--and they didn't have weapons of mass distruction that threatened our country--
and the afghans we found in afghanistan weren't really in a position to attack the US either--
they couldn't even keep their electricity turned on...
the truth that no one wants to face is that the war was wrong--
soldiers might have fought bravely, surffered hugely for basically no legitimate reason, and are now being given too little assistance from the government that caused the war in the first place--

the fact that some left over stockpiles of dangerous chemicals were discovered by us military after the war was almost over--and soldiers were left to bear the brunt of the cleanup w/o correct government assistance--
that sounds par for the course--a mismanaged, misdocumented, mistaken war...

Chris Kyle understood NONE of the truth behind the war--probably didn't want to know anything different than the straight party line--and probably handled the war better than many returning soldiers--certainly better than the one who shot him...

using his story to generate support for a belief system that would have us likely return to another war under similar circumstances and provocations makes me sick---
and I saw the movie--

Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,171,635 times
American Sniper trivia:

...to bulk up 40-plus pounds, Bradley Cooper ate around 8,000 calories a day.

...only the 10th male actor in Oscar history to land 3 consecutive Oscar nominations with American Sniper (2014). He was previously nominated for American Hustle (2013) and Silver Linings Playbook (2012).

Old 01-31-2015, 04:22 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,703,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
American Sniper trivia:

...to bulk up 40-plus pounds, Bradley Cooper ate around 8,000 calories a day.

...only the 10th male actor in Oscar history to land 3 consecutive Oscar nominations with American Sniper (2014). He was previously nominated for American Hustle (2013) and Silver Linings Playbook (2012).
Both AH and SLP were way more entertaining than AS, though I'm not so certain what's so great about BC's acting.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:18 PM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I didn't finish reading Totten's critique of the movie--
he admits that the character who uses a drill on Iraqui civilians (including a child) is ficticious--
then uses that ficticious character's behavior to justify Kyle's actions??? which didn't happen because Kyle couldn't search for a man who didn't exist or kill a man (the sniper who shot his friend) who didn't exist--what part of FANTASY does he not understand???
how accurate is that???

The movie is a pastiche of facts from Kyle's book written with two ghostwriters and my perception based on Kyle's comments about Jesse Ventura and other comments he made that another Seal took exception to I think his memoire could be stitched out of some truth and some elaboration---
Eastwood and the script writer then used dramatic license to further create a senario that made Kyle a SuperMan type of hero vs a SuperBad type of enemy---

no one is denying that fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan wasn't bloody and deadly and often fraught with complications since too many times US soldiers were fighting people who looked like civilians--
but it WAS a war against civilians--some of whom maybe had been in Saddam's army and some of whom just didn't want the US invading THEIR country...

The Iraquis didn't fly into the twin towers--and they didn't have weapons of mass distruction that threatened our country--
and the afghans we found in afghanistan weren't really in a position to attack the US either--
they couldn't even keep their electricity turned on...
the truth that no one wants to face is that the war was wrong--
soldiers might have fought bravely, surffered hugely for basically no legitimate reason, and are now being given too little assistance from the government that caused the war in the first place--

the fact that some left over stockpiles of dangerous chemicals were discovered by us military after the war was almost over--and soldiers were left to bear the brunt of the cleanup w/o correct government assistance--
that sounds par for the course--a mismanaged, misdocumented, mistaken war...

Chris Kyle understood NONE of the truth behind the war--probably didn't want to know anything different than the straight party line--and probably handled the war better than many returning soldiers--certainly better than the one who shot him...

using his story to generate support for a belief system that would have us likely return to another war under similar circumstances and provocations makes me sick---
and I saw the movie--
Very similar to the situation we faced in Vietnam. After we came back, we realized why there were protesters. We had been lied to and were fighting for nothing. Not only did many of us have PTSD, we were pissed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies