Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,171,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
More and more, the Academy rewards sociopolitical agendas of which it approves and promotes and nothing else.

The vast majority of my favorite movies, the best movies IMO, are not the "buzz" on Oscar night. Unforgiven was just another in a long list of disappointing lowest common denominator movies, as all more recent Eastwood works tend to be. Put another (unknown) name on most of these films and they stay on the long list of movies that nobody's ever seen or heard of.
Your comments on Unforgiven puts a lot of your comments in perspective. .... ....

I put American Sniper in Eastwood's top 10, and with further thought it could be in the top 5, which has nothing to do with box office or Oscar nominations (or awards).

I was building a house.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 01-27-2015 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,723,037 times
I would agree this is definitely one of Eastwoods top five directorial movies. Bradley played the role quite well and I like how Eastwood didn't dive too much into why he wanted to serve. From Eastwoods directoral background I was a little on the fence when he did Invictus and Hereafter but he has been redeemed.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,703,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Fox News has been promoting this movie endlessly ever since the movie was released. Every news progam on Fox News has at least one segment devoted to American Sniper. I can't help but wonder if Fox was the movie company that made this movie. With that kind of 24/7 coverage, it' s no wonder this movie is breaking so many box office records. I would take the movie with a grain of salt. With Fox so much involved with it seems contrived leaving me to think there's some kind of an agenda with this movie, just like there is with nearly every controversial topic that Fox News can hype up in its own folksy, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, patriotic way.
Your consternation is well placed -- without all this tension in the Mid East they'd have less to talk about, and then people like O'Reilly or Hannity would be forced to talk about other things that should actually be on the minds of Americans, such as unbridled immigration, outsourcing of manufacturing, why WTC building #7 collapsed into its own footprint although it was never hit by a plane, who shorted the United and American Airline stocks a few days before the 9-11 attacks, what the Mossad knew about the 9-11 hijackers and why they didn't alert U.S. officials, and other topics they're too lazy/cowardly/stupid to cover.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM

689 posts, read 976,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Your consternation is well placed -- without all this tension in the Mid East they'd have less to talk about, and then people like O'Reilly or Hannity would be forced to talk about other things that should actually be on the minds of Americans, such as unbridled immigration, outsourcing of manufacturing, why WTC building #7 collapsed into its own footprint although it was never hit by a plane, who shorted the United and American Airline stocks a few days before the 9-11 attacks, what the Mossad knew about the 9-11 hijackers and why they didn't alert U.S. officials, and other topics they're too lazy/cowardly/stupid to cover.
You're kinda going off the deep end here and certainly off the thread topic - but I really do like the way your mind works...

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,163,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree, it was good, but I wasn't wowed or overwhelmed with emotion or anything.

There were other liberties the movie took that I was, quite frankly, disappointed with.

American Sniper True Story vs. Movie - Real Chris Kyle, Taya Kyle

'American Sniper': The True Story of Chris Kyle

Glad to know that he didn't really kill in kids in Iraq like they potray in the movie, which was disturbing. Othe than that I thought the movie was good not great.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Saw it today. Got to the theater an hour early and there was a long line waiting to get in. I loved it and at the credits, no one said anything. A few people clapped. Then everyone exited in silence like we were at a funeral.
Same here.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Not going to get into the "us vs them" with you, but can't resist in saying you have an elitist attitude, and thank God there are plenty of people who don't think like the "left coast".

Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,629,263 times
Re:
"War movies are always hard to watch but always so intriguing, especially for someone like me who doesn't fully understand the minds of navy seals, marines, etc. They are very brave men and women and I know this movie doesn't do justice to what they have to endure (especially BUDS training!)"

I think as the years have gone on I think film has really made strides especially since the war years in portraying the grim realities of war and its effects on its participants. One film which in a way I think was very key in helping to understand soldiers , war and the practice of going to war was Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Really FMJ knows that war is hell but it also shows the viewer the way soldiers must be to survive and come out alive. For that a soldier knows he has to kill and to kill well. If there's anything more atypical in the human condition that has to be it.

I haven't seen Anerican Sniper yet. But I'm sure I'm going to see Eastwood's portrayal of a soldier under tremendous stress and how he goes about coming to terms with that 'atypical' human behavior.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
The article below addresses many of the realities about who Chris Kyle really was and Hollywood's distortions about his life and character. I now have a better understanding of why I did not see the movie I had hoped for. He was a tough, hardened soldier with no remorse whatsoever.

7 heinous lies “American Sniper” is telling America - Salon.com
Lol, Salon? Yeah because they don't have an agenda(liberal) to push.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Ok, he shot people from long distance, we could see their eyes. I don't like any movie or book that glorifies war. There is no glory in war. only horror and sadness. Most of the guys I served with, came back and led normal lives. There was nothing normal about Chris Kyle. According to the excerpts I have seen, In the book he said he loved killing. He was mentally ill. The VA failed him. He should have had treatment.
Did you even watch the movie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies