Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I have to think the Foundation novels came up on this already. So far not happening. I think I know but I figure they could handle the CGI stuff at the least.
Foundation is in the pipeline already. I don't see it translating well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,396,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Foundation is in the pipeline already. I don't see it translating well.
I don't think it would transfer well as a movie either, but as a miniseries, it might, if it had an excellent screenwriter.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 PM

7,254 posts, read 7,111,006 times
Technically this is fantasy but the first three books of Dragonlance.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 AM

37,806 posts, read 41,094,709 times
I'm going to go with one old short story and one fairly recent book and I'll tell you why I picked them.

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist is the book. "If you are 50 (women) and 60 (men) and are single, childless and don't have a job in a progressive industry, you are sent to The Unit where you can live out the remaining years of your life and make new friends, enjoy state of the art recreational facilities, parties, eating places and beautiful gardens. The only catch is that since you are a "dispensable" you are expected to sacrifice for the "necessary" people on the outside by submitting to tests (like tests of potentially dangerous new drugs) and making organ/body part donations until you are called upon for the final donation (like heart and lungs)."

For the summary:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unit-Ninni.../dp/1590513134

I pick the futuristic "The Unit" not just because it was creepy but because it may draw single older people to see it in addition the younger audience if they market it to appeal to older people, too. Plus, the writer is Swedish so the movie from the book may have appeal in Europe, too, if the book sold well there.

The short story I pick is horror writer F Paul Wilson's "Lipidleggin", a futuristic short story written in 1978. I read it back when it was first published and to my surprise I found it on line. What makes it creepy is that "the unthinkable future" in the story is entirely seeable in the present, 36 years later. It's about the food police. I could actually see this as a TV show. The story is here if you want to read it. It will only take you a few minutes.

Doing Freedom Fiction: Lipidleggin'

I pick it because it will appeal to high school students who hate their forced healthy lunches, to people who think the government makes a grab at personal freedom as well as sci-fi readers who love it when past sci-fi/horror seems to accurately predict the future which in this case could be today.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 PM

589 posts, read 1,350,373 times
I don't think Hollywood could do it right, but I would love to see Lucifer's Hammer done with a major big budget.

I would love to see some of Robert Heinlein's work put to film properly (we will NOT discuss Starship Troopers). I would be first in line for the Lazurus Long franchise!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 AM

29,630 posts, read 14,763,799 times
Many many years ago in my youth I was a huge Alan Dean Foster fan. Several of his books still remain on my mind. I think quite a few of them would transition onto the big screen , if done right.

Cachalot
I think this one would work in today's green thinking society, especially with what is going on in our oceans and the life within.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cachalot_(novel)

Icerigger (1 of a two book story)
This was a great book and would be awesome to see on the big screen. Great character development and the joining of two races working together. The book has a sequel and is part of a multi book universe that ADF created.

Splinter of the Minds Eye
Being a Star Wars geek, any of the Expanded Universe novels should be movies. This was one of the first ones and back then there wasn't too much to offer after Star Wars debuted. At that time no one knew if there was really going to be a sequel so this fit the need for more SW.

Another auther Hugh Howey wrote great post apocalyptic series. I had heard it was supposed to become a movie but haven't heard anything new.
Wool (book one of Silo series)

And I know this was already made into a movie in the late 70's , but the book was so good they need to do a remake.
Logan's Run

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
I don't think Hollywood could do it right, but I would love to see Lucifer's Hammer done with a major big budget.

I would love to see some of Robert Heinlein's work put to film properly (we will NOT discuss Starship Troopers). I would be first in line for the Lazurus Long franchise!
FWIW, Larry and Jerry both recently had small strokes. Thankfully, both seem to have recovered most function. The golden age of sci-fi inevitably is drawing to a final close though. I fear that their Lucifer's Hammer would be just another apocalyptic film at this point.

There is ANOTHER different Lucifer's Hammer that TOR put out that is less well known that has the makings of an excellent film with some cautionary reason d'etre. It posits a Colossus, Forbin Project type event with the entity intent on its own survival and humans as ants in its way. It predicted remote controlled insect-like mini-drones with remote vision and telemetry. The plot is thin enough that Hollywood could work with it and make it look good. The title would be problematic though.

Heinlein's loose sexuality would have played better in the 1970s than today I think.

Kuttner/Moore did some super-power hillbilly short stories that were a delight to read and would fit into today's market if handled properly.

Surprisingly, Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes author) did some sci-fi. His "Professor Challenger" character could be a franchise.

Ooh! Almost forgot "1632" would work well.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,460,474 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Heinlein's loose sexuality would have played better in the 1970s than today I think.
Podkayne of Mars might attract the YA fan and the RAH fans.
Hollywood wouldn't like the original ending though ...

Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 PM

37,806 posts, read 41,094,709 times
Quote:

I still have my original paperback copy of Lucifer's Hammer published in 1977. It has survived 5 moves and 3 states, a divorce, a retirement and the pages are yellow tinged but I'd definitely see the movie if they made it.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM

255 posts, read 536,583 times
Crompton Divided and Mindswap by Robert Sheckley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies