Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was your favorite Batman movie of the Dark Knight trilogy?
Batman Begins 6 31.58%
The Dark Knight 10 52.63%
The Dark Knight Rises 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,988,857 times

Advertisements

Probably one of my favorite trilogies in recent memory, definitely a movie where its sequels did not disappoint, which is hard to find anymore. Truly delighted at Bale's acting in these movies, he gives a great performance, and the supporting actors are all top notch as well.

Anyways, I think I'm amongst the minority of my friends and most people when I say this, but I do believe that "Batman Begins" was probably my favorite of the series. It's an EXTREMELY close contest, since they are all top notch movies and probably instant classics. I still can't decide between the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises.

I did enjoy how each movie dealt with a particular theme, in Batman Begins it was "fear" in the Dark Knight it was Casualty and Chaos and in the Dark Knight Rises it was about Hope. The dark nature of Batman Begins where you truly learn who Bruce Wayne is and how he became the man he is was a fantastic story. It wasn't overdone with an incredibly complicated plot, or action scenes that have you scratching your head wondering how his enemies could possibly plan for that. It was very straightforward but with a powerful underlying theme. Just my take.

Go on and share which one was your favorite and why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
I liked BATMAN BEGINS. Didn't love it. I thought the first half of the movie was excellent, but then it got rather silly. I don't understand the reasoning behind the way so many directors handle super hero movie villains. They're making a live action movie and striving to make it as "realistic" as possible. Fine. But then they introduce a bad guy with the most cockamamey silly plan you can imagine. The first X-Men film had the same problem. Evapo-rays on bullet trains and Insta-mutant whirligigs. Please.

THE DARK KNIGHT was just about perfect in every way. Marred only by Christian Bale's silly Batman voice. Still mocked by pop culture to this day. And justifiably so.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES was a bad movie. No excuse for that silliness. Joseph Gordon Levitt was the only watchable part of the movie. One illogical stupid non-sensical scene after another. And I guess Bale didn't want to give up his silly Batman voice, so they had to find a villain with an even stupider voice. This movie wasn't Schumacher bad, but man it was close.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I liked BATMAN BEGINS. Didn't love it. I thought the first half of the movie was excellent, but then it got rather silly. I don't understand the reasoning behind the way so many directors handle super hero movie villains. They're making a live action movie and striving to make it as "realistic" as possible. Fine. But then they introduce a bad guy with the most cockamamey silly plan you can imagine. The first X-Men film had the same problem. Evapo-rays on bullet trains and Insta-mutant whirligigs. Please.

THE DARK KNIGHT was just about perfect in every way. Marred only by Christian Bale's silly Batman voice. Still mocked by pop culture to this day. And justifiably so.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES was a bad movie. No excuse for that silliness. Joseph Gordon Levitt was the only watchable part of the movie. One illogical stupid non-sensical scene after another. And I guess Bale didn't want to give up his silly Batman voice, so they had to find a villain with an even stupider voice. This movie wasn't Schumacher bad, but man it was close.
Curious why you hated the last one so much. Most people really enjoyed it. I do have to agree with you on one point, the voice they gave to Bane was utterly annoying...difficult to understand, completely unnatural sounding, and it wasn't even menacing sounding, that type of voice would not strike fear in me. I thought it was a pretty great story overall.

The Dark Knight was epic, the only thing that slightly turned me off about it was the brilliantly plotted plans of the Joker and how they took every possible mishap into consideration. Sorry, but it all seemed too perfect, I would have liked to have seen the Joker's plans as a little more realistic, they were bordering on too perfect, but I guess that's what made him such a terrifying villain. And the girl who played Rachel in The Dark Knight...God she was annoying, Maggie Gyllenhal?, I really wish they had gotten Katie Holmes to return. The plot was a little erratic, but it worked.

Batman Begins was excellent, Christian Bale put on a great performance. It was only in that movie that you truly witnessed and felt the depravity of the poverty and disparity of people in Gotham City. I know that was most of its focus, but it was a powerful theme, having to do with Fear and overcoming that, something you really don't think Batman has to deal with. Excellent sequels nonetheless, but Batman Begins still gets my vote, just barely.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM

217 posts, read 326,335 times
Like all three and I'd say Batman Begins is underrated now.

Most people will say The Dark Knight, but I actually prefer The Dark Knight Rises. What hurt The Dark Knight for me was switching from Katie Holmes to Maggie Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal is usually the better actress, but that role wasn't for her and it brings down the film for me.

I also prefer Tom Hardy's Bane slightly over Heath Ledger's Joker (which was great acting in its own right).

Anne Hathaway was the cherry on top. I'll watch just about anything she's in. The pacing in the last film was also better than the previous two. I'm a big fan of the ending.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,624,815 times
I have to say that this is so difficult a decision that I really can't vote on it.

It's between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight for me. Those are two of the best comic book movies of all time. I really love Marvel's stuff too but...man do I love the first two films in Nolan's trilogy.

Batman Begins was the first movie I saw in theaters that I couldn't get enough of. I went back and saw it numerous times. At the time everything about it was perfect. Only when I saw it recently did I realize there are a few flaws. For one, the pacing is a bit off to me. I would've liked more time spent on the League of Shadows and on Jonathan Crane. And I really didn't buy into the love story at all. I hated the Rachel character and didn't get how she could love Bruce after being such a jerk to him the whole movie, and why he would like her either.

The Dark Knight had its flaws as well. The pacing was much better but the whole boat scene dragged on too long. Of course the Joker was a great villain and I loved how we knew nothing about him. That was the point - he was an agent of chaos...and yes I liked Rachel being killed off. But it's so relentlessly dark the whole time. Batman Begins had more uplifting moments that worked to relieve the tension without being cheesy. Also Two-Face was disappointingly underused.

The Dark Knight Rises was good too but just wasn't at the level of the other two. Bane did not seem that scary and REALLY didn't after the 'twist' was revealed.
Spoiler
And Talia al Ghul is revealed to just be killed off 2 seconds later in a car accident? Ugh...please.
I did like that the Batman Begins story mattered a lot more to TDKR. It annoyed me that a lot of fanboys went to see The Dark Knight without realizing it was a sequel.

Quote:
WHERE'S RACHEL?? lol

Quote:
Bane was supposed to be Hispanic and I wish they had kept that. Like ColdAilment, I didn't understand the accent they did use very well. I agree that JGL was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Batman Begins was excellent, Christian Bale put on a great performance. It was only in that movie that you truly witnessed and felt the depravity of the poverty and disparity of people in Gotham City. I know that was most of its focus, but it was a powerful theme, having to do with Fear and overcoming that, something you really don't think Batman has to deal with.
You nailed it.

Yeah...I still can't decide. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight felt pretty different to me, in both structure and tone. I still think I liked Ra's al Ghul slightly better than the Joker (!) and both were a lot better than Bane.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,397,469 times
I gotta give it to Batman Begins. I LOVED all three of them, but I watched Begins recently and realized just how awesome it truly is.

The Joker was a good break from the typical villians, he had no goals other than to cause chaos (and laugh at it).

Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The Joker was a good break from the typical villians, he had no goals other than to cause chaos (and laugh at it).
I still found that more plausible than Evapo-Rays on bullet trains.

Remember the whole, "Why don't you just shoot him?" schtick from Austin Powers? Someone needs to show that scene to the writers of super hero movies.

R'as al Ghul wants to collapse society, beginning with Gotham City, so he comes up with this elaborate plan to steal an evapo-ray and put it on a bullet train to evaporate all of Gotham's water, all the while infiltrating Gotham's high society with his assassins. Dude, why not just detonate a bomb? Same result. Less hassle.

The Lizard works from a secret laboratory in the sewers so that he can climb the highest building in Manhattan and turn everyone into lizard men. Why? Umm ... not real sure. Maybe he's lonely?

Magneto wants mutants to rule the Earth, so he comes up with an elaborate plan to kidnap a unique mutant, plug her into a giant whirligig that manufactures mutants, install it at the Statue of Liberty, and turn all the UN delegates into mutants. Dude, why not just detonate a bomb? Same result. Less hassle.

Loki wants to the rule the world, so he convinces a bunch of aliens to and their giant flying worms to disturb Manhattan traffic on their flying motorcycles and do some damage to buildings. Dude, even General Zod in his bad disco outfit had the sense to attack Washington D.C.

And Bane's ridiculous plan in the last Batman flick? I'm still not sure I understand all the rigmarole because I was fighting boredom through what seemed like an 8 hour pointless movie. But again: Why not just detonate a bomb? Why the elaborate machinations?

I'm a little afraid the whole setup of the next Avengers or Superman flick is going to involve the bad guy using his Eludium Q-36 space modulator to try to destroy the Earth.

Seriously. A large reason why super hero movies are filmed in live action rather than animation is to lend a certain realism to the story. But then the filmmakers give the villains the most ludicrious cockamammy plans. It's hard enough buying into all the tights and capes, but then we're expected to buy into a bad guy scheme that would embarrass even the most insane Bond villain.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I still found that more plausible than Evapo-Rays on bullet trains.

Remember the whole, "Why don't you just shoot him?" schtick from Austin Powers? Someone needs to show that scene to the writers of super hero movies.

R'as al Ghul wants to collapse society, beginning with Gotham City, so he comes up with this elaborate plan to steal an evapo-ray and put it on a bullet train to evaporate all of Gotham's water, all the while infiltrating Gotham's high society with his assassins. Dude, why not just detonate a bomb? Same result. Less hassle.

The Lizard works from a secret laboratory in the sewers so that he can climb the highest building in Manhattan and turn everyone into lizard men. Why? Umm ... not real sure. Maybe he's lonely?

Magneto wants mutants to rule the Earth, so he comes up with an elaborate plan to kidnap a unique mutant, plug her into a giant whirligig that manufactures mutants, install it at the Statue of Liberty, and turn all the UN delegates into mutants. Dude, why not just detonate a bomb? Same result. Less hassle.

Loki wants to the rule the world, so he convinces a bunch of aliens to and their giant flying worms to disturb Manhattan traffic on their flying motorcycles and do some damage to buildings. Dude, even General Zod in his bad disco outfit had the sense to attack Washington D.C.

And Bane's ridiculous plan in the last Batman flick? I'm still not sure I understand all the rigmarole because I was fighting boredom through what seemed like an 8 hour pointless movie. But again: Why not just detonate a bomb? Why the elaborate machinations?

I'm a little afraid the whole setup of the next Avengers or Superman flick is going to involve the bad guy using his Eludium Q-36 space modulator to try to destroy the Earth.

Seriously. A large reason why super hero movies are filmed in live action rather than animation is to lend a certain realism to the story. But then the filmmakers give the villains the most ludicrious cockamammy plans. It's hard enough buying into all the tights and capes, but then we're expected to buy into a bad guy scheme that would embarrass even the most insane Bond villain.
You really think detonating a bomb would make for a more enjoyable movie? There is a pretty big line between movies and reality. Movies are made to be dramatic, even though sometimes they look and feel realistic, they are anything but. The normal mechanics of practicality go out the window in movies in exchange for the shock, awe, and drama factor.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
I think Rises just because the Ledger Joker isn't as good as the Nickelson Joker. Plus Bane was awesome and the twist with Talia al Goul was awesome.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times
Christian Bale Reveals The Truth About The 'Dark Knight Rises' Ending

Maybe I missed this discussion. Was there controversy as to whether the end was just Alfred's dream??? If so, I never thought it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies