Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,200,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My biggest gripe with Disney is that they are stuck in formula. They can still turn out some truly beautiful animation. Songs are sometimes good. But when was the last time a Disney story surprised you? Within 10 minutes of the movie, you can predict the final 90 with surprising accuracy. And the cutesy magic friends in every freakin' movie.

It's why I no longer fork up the cash to see a Disney film in the theater. Why bother? I can see the trailer and know everything about the movie already. I'm content to wait for the DVD.
I caught that in Meet the Robinsons with Goob and Bowler Hat Guy. However it wasn't the typical villain battle that you see in most Disney movie.

Frozen was the last to surprise me, I thought there was NO WAY it was the best Disney movie since Lion King, it was the best ever in my book. Storyline wise I was indeed caught off guard by it. I was also caught off guard with Tangled how things happened too.

Wreck-It Ralph was a weird story. It wasn't the same story that you heard from other Disney movies but familiar enough that people could get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,614,582 times
I haven't watched a Disney movie in a long time, but I haven't heard a single negative thing about Frozen, so I guess I'll have to watch it sometime.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,061,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I haven't seen Frozen yet. But if you leave out Pixar, The Lion King was the last GREAT animated movie Disney made. They've made some good ones since then, but nothing approaching a classic.
I agree. I've seen most of the post-Lion King ones, but never felt like seeing any more than once. Of course, LK came out when I was 12, so that makes sense.

Also, the songs haven't been nearly as good since Lion King. I haven't seen Frozen, but I know a lot of people like the songs, which is a good sign.

I'd rate Wreck-it Ralph a bit higher than Tangled and Princess and the Frog, which were both pretty good.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,200,074 times
After Pocohontas, Disney animation had a few gems here and there including Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, Meet the Robinsons and Bolt between the second golden age and this current renaissance. I loved Oliver and Company and that was the primer to the second golden age (Mermaid-Lion King) just like I consider Robinsons and Bolt for this new renaissance. That being the parts are there to show something is coming but the movies aren't held in that high regard as the later films.

Frozen's songs are classic Disney. Tangled and Princess and the Frog are not quite classic song-wise but Frozen truly was. Let It Go, Do You Want To Build a Snowman and First Time In Forever will be the songs we remember especially Let It Go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies