Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,235,452 times

Advertisements

I definitely agree with "The Station Agent", which was written especially for Peter Dinklage.

Others that I find exceptional but do not hear mentioned or rarely so:
Privilege (1967) - IMDb
Romeo and Juliet (1968) - IMDb
A Walk with Love and Death (1969) - IMDb
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005) - IMDb
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) - IMDb

This deserves a mention though it's among the favorite film of many people~much better than romantic films that are much more popular:
Somewhere in Time (1980) - IMDb

Or, maybe I'm just revealing how offbeat my cinematic tastes can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,554,779 times
I loved "Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont" as I love anything that Joan Plowright is in

Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,314,157 times
FANDANGO. Great coming of age movie from the mid-80s. Even more impressive: This was the director's debut. It really is one of the best directorial debuts in movie history.

Not a very good trailer, but it is a fantastic movie. Trust me.

Fandango (1985) Original Theatrical Trailer - YouTube

Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,624,811 times
Boy some very very good movies here.

The Duellists..yes, get it on a blu if you've never ever seen it. Ridley Scott's first. Visually stunning.

These well they'd be off the radar I think... but I recommend. A little different.

One by Peter Greenaway, 'The Draughtman's Contract'..pretty unique 'murder mystery' but it's not like Sherlock or any other!

And one by Raul Ruiz, 'Time Regained', kind of hard to describe about Proust and his great works...like a filmic dream going on... but it may not be everyone's bite of tea and madeline's....;-).....

Enjoy film!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM

643 posts, read 918,739 times
Searching for Bobby Fischer is hands down the no. 1 underrated movie of all time. I also think adventureland is hugely underrated. And yes, my favorite genre is coming of age dramas.

Searching for Bobby Fischer - Trailer - YouTube

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,547,027 times
Dogville seems to fit the criteria. Even though 90% of audience reviewers and 70% of critics on Rotten Tomatoes viewed it positively, it's hard to find someone who has seen it.
It was labeled as anti-American by several professional critics but like most of the audience reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes, I didn't get that at all. The story was not about any particular society's economic problems, rather it was a scathing look at how human decency *can* deteriorate when left unchecked by laws or observation.

Dogville was a movie that left me stunned and made me ponder, for a long time, human nature. I'd like to think such perversions couldn't happen but history says they can and have. Nicole Kidman's portrayal of Grace led me to question to what extent a victim's naiveté plays into those perversions.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,154,511 times
Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970). Carrie Snodgress was nominated for an Oscar.

The novel is great, too.

Unfortunately, no one has put it on DVD yet, because I suppose it won't appeal to a teenage demographic.

VHS tapes of this film have fetched over $100! Thank God there is YouTube!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 PM

30,306 posts, read 23,784,547 times
I don't think this one got nearly the attention that it should have: Waking Ned Devine (1998)

A lottery winner dies of shock when his numbers are called, and the townsfolk scheme to get his money. Filmed on the Isle of Man even though it's supposed to be Irish.

Waking Ned Devine - trailer - YouTube

This is a foreign film, but it is hilarious. The humor is subtle which makes this movie darn near perfect. It takes place in 19th century Denmark. I won't ruin it for you, but it is fantastic.

Babette's Feast (1987)

Babette's Feast Official Trailer - YouTube

Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,547,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Babette's Feast (1987)
Babette's Feast is one of the best movies ever made. IMO it always received deserved acclaim, in fact won the Oscar that year for best foreign film, much fuss was made about it at the time and it was a moderate box office success in a time when most foreign films were completely ignored.

Still, glad you mentioned it, in case the younger generation has missed it. It's a 'don't miss'.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 AM

30,306 posts, read 23,784,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Babette's Feast is one of the best movies ever made. IMO it always received deserved acclaim, in fact won the Oscar that year for best foreign film, much fuss was made about it at the time and it was a moderate box office success in a time when most foreign films were completely ignored.

Still, glad you mentioned it, in case the younger generation has missed it. It's a 'don't miss'.
Really? Huh. Well, I was still a kid back then and had never heard of it. I found it by accident about 7 years ago...maybe just a little less than that. I loved every single second of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies