Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking for recommendations on good horror movies. I don't like the new-age cheesy predictable pop up genre that is mainstream today.

I like the twisted, disturbing type horror movies that are just weird, creepy some even artsy: Event Horizon, House of 1000 Corpses, 28 Days Later, Psycho, that spanish horror movie "Rec", Screamers.

I do love a good zombie movie, dark humor, and the occasional paranormal type movie, but I'm looking for movies that are similar to the ones mentioned above. They all have "that feel" to them that I just can't articulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
To this day, the scariest movie I've ever seen is still "The Exorcist". It scared the heck out of me when I was a kid, and I still get that goosebump, hair standing up on the back of my neck feeling whenever I watch it.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
So I'm looking for recommendations on good horror movies. I don't like the new-age cheesy predictable pop up genre that is mainstream today.

I like the twisted, disturbing type horror movies that are just weird, creepy some even artsy: Event Horizon, House of 1000 Corpses, 28 Days Later, Psycho, that spanish horror movie "Rec", Screamers.

I do love a good zombie movie, dark humor, and the occasional paranormal type movie, but I'm looking for movies that are similar to the ones mentioned above. They all have "that feel" to them that I just can't articulate.
If you like zombie films, some good little known ones are:

DEAD AND BURIED (very, very disturbing! Directed by the writer of Alien).
MESSIAH OF EVIL (very Lovecraftian, directed, believe it or not, by the writers of American Graffiti)
THE GRAPES OF DEATH.

My favorite strange, surreal horror film ever is Richard Stanley's DUST DEVIL. But if you get it, be sure to get the 122 minute version, and not the butchered 90 or 80 minute version.

Have you ever gotten into Dario Argento at all? I recommend SUSPIRIA, INFERNO, OPERA, and PHENOMENA, the last of which starred a young Jennifer Connely.

For the Ultimate blend of horror, zombies, dark humor, art and surrealism, try Rupert Everet in CEMETERY MAN.

Michelle Soavi's THE CHURCH

THE KEEP is very different.

I recommend to everyone the ORIGINAL version of BLACK CHRISTMAS

THE COMPANY OF WOLVES has a wonderful, non-linear plot, some amazing images, and an appearance by Angela Landsbury.

Try some of those and if you like them, we'll talk later.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Watch "An American Crime".

Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Let Me In
Frenzy (Alfred Hitchcock )
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Alien
The Thing (1982 and 2011)
No Country For Old Men
Cape Fear
Seven Monkeys

Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
You may like the following:
Pandorum
Eden Log (French)
Mulberry Street
Spiral
The Aggression Scale
The Boy Wonder
Paranoia 1.0
Cube < if you seen and liked it then also check out > Fermat's Room (Spanish)
Headhunters (Norwegian and it is really good)
The Devil's Rock (New Zealand - Nazis and Zombies, good)
The Hunter w/ Willem Dafoe (take places in Tasmania, pretty good suspense)

That should do it for now...

Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
You guys are the best. I will certainly be checking these out.

Turco, I have seen cube and that was a good one.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
You guys are the best. I will certainly be checking these out.

Turco, I have seen cube and that was a good one.
Then, you should like Fermat's Room too even though there is less action and gore since it relies more on the suspense and psychology.

Another one is Exam. The entire movie takes place in a room but it was interesting enough to keep me watching and enjoying it! Had a good ending too.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
The Conjuring is the best horror flick I've seen in years. A very good return to 1970s old school horror.

The Company of Wolves is indeed a great movie. Very surreal. To this day, I'm not sure I understand large parts of it. But it's a great experience.

The Exorcist is classic, although it doesn't scare like it did when I was kid. Of course, I'm a huge Max von Sydow fan, and he is SOOO good in this movie.

The Faculty. A fun modernesque take on the 1950s style alien scare flicks. And you get to see Frodo Baggins stab Jon Stewart in the eye with a pen.

Psycho (the original) is also a classic must see. And I actually liked Psycho II. It lacked Hitchcock's stylistic flairs, but was still a good movie with a nice twist at the end.

Jacob's Ladder. I first watched this in the middle of the night, all by myself, while fighting a wicked case of the flue and completely buzzed on cold medicine. The experience scarred me. To this day, every time a movie has a scene in a dance club, I look for tails.

ALIEN. Best haunted house movie ever. It's a total scare experience, because the great story not only looks gorgeous, combining both sensual beauty and horror, but the music and sound effects pound in the scares.

The Wicker Man. The original British flick. Great movie. And different, because the hero is an uptight unlikeable twit, and the villain (who is a real monster) is very charming and likeable.

The Sixth Sense. Say what you will about Shyamalan's career since --- and a lot could be said --- but this is a great movie that manages to be both very scary and very touching. Haley Joel Osment rightly earned the praise as one of the greatest child actors of all time.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Last House on the Left 1972
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies