Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,128,855 times

Advertisements

Wow, sounds good. I was really hoping to see Lone Survivor this weekend, but the wife is stuck on Her. I've heard really good things about this film, and you've just reassured me that it's a good one.

I like it when a movie sticks with you after the credits roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,423,555 times
I actually didn't go into this movie expecting much, I did however come out of it impressed.

You'll have to let us know what you think after you've seen it.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 8,216,068 times
A favorite of 2013.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:22 AM

26,821 posts, read 26,966,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
my first thought about this was...'hasn't this already been done by Ryan Gosling in that movie with the mannequin?"
It's actually nothing like Lars and the Real Girl.

It was quite good. It was long, interesting, and made you really think. I didn't realize that part of it was shot in Shanghai. Amy Adams is phenomenal.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,993 times
Agree 1,000% about both the film and Amy Adams; definitely among the most orginal and way out-of-the-box films in recent memory.

Major props to Spike Jonze for an extremely satisfying movie going experience, with originality to burn.

Scarlett Johansson was wonderful as Samantha as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,392,892 times
I saw this tonight and I liked it. It really hits the issue of technology replacing a traditional relationship, if it's possible.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,753,645 times
Actually a movie that I want to see.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,497,248 times
I saw this yesterday and thought it was quite wonderful, really the best movie I have seen in years.

I went with the expectation that it would be a clever cautionary tale about over-reliance on technology and how it isolates us from reality and human interaction.

It was clever all right, and funny. But not cautionary or didactic. It was sweet and oddly uplifting (which is the last thing I expected from a Spike Jonze movie).

First, Jonze makes it very clear that we humans do a perfectly good job of isolating and shutting ourselves off from one another without any help from technology.

Jonze also illustrates very compassionately that grief and loss can be so overwhelming and awful as to render us incapable of connection. And that friends, family, loved ones (you know - the people in our lives who are supposed to help us through the rough patches) are generally impatient with this fact, which renders them equally incapable of connection. (In the movie's example, Theodore's well-intentioned friends set him up on a date -- a sort of "Get back up on that horse and ride!" kind of gesture, even though he is clearly still too raw and wounded over his pending divorce. The date ends disastrously, of course).

This movie actually celebrates technology in ways that I find really refreshing. (I won't say how, because I don't want to give away too many plot points). But this resonates with me in so many ways. For example, I am sick to death of having to defend my preference of an e-reader over a printed book -- sick of the argument that this preference somehow makes me less of a bibliophile. Technology improves lives, in myriad ways. Embrace it.

I would say that you need to go into "Her" with an open mind, and an open heart. Suspend your disbelief, and then enjoy.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM

3,990 posts, read 5,026,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Lots of rave reviews. The concept of sentient machines is not new, Though we seem to be headed toward this or at least a similar development like the poster above me states. One thing is certain though-Joaquin is a really great actor and I am sure he embodies the main character and makes it believable.

I feel so old-I remember when beepers were the "sophisticated" tech to have. Now we all have computers in our pockets. Quite an advancement.
I feel so old that I remember when Joaquin Phoenix was called Leaf and was in movies like Parenthood!!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM

643 posts, read 920,086 times
I loved it! Super original idea with great performances all around. I do agree with Olivia Wilde's character that Joaquin Phoenix's character is "creepy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies