Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM

547 posts, read 940,759 times

Advertisements

I saw 12 Years a Slave back in October. It was a good, well acted movie. But some parts were hard to watch, and I personally felt white people back in the day were idiots for allowing slavery to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 6,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Any film that allows one race to freely mock and make fun of another race without any consequence offends me.

For example "White Chicks" by the Wayans Brothers made a few years ago. Two black guys dress up and act like white girls for whatever reason. Never saw it so can't tell you the plot. How is it that the Wayans brothers got away with making something like this but if a couple of white guys make a movie and call it "Black Chicks" and have white men wearing black face makeup we would have riots in the streets?

Equality goes both ways. You shouldn't be allowed to make fun one one race and leave another untouched simply because it's not politically correct. If you're going to make a racial comedy than toss out the rules and anything goes!
I take it you never saw the movie "Tropic Thunder." Robert Downey wore black face in the movie. You must have also forgotten about the 1986 movie "Soul Man" starring C. Thomas Howell who also wore black face for most of the movie. Did you hear of any "riots in the streets" when these movies were released? That's right. There weren't any.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,184,952 times
Usually, the only thing that bothers me is blatant distortions of history. That's why I absolutely hated "The Conjuring". If the director and producers did not claim that it was based on a true story, it would not have bothered me. However, that is exactly how it was promoted. A couple of "paranormalists" (which I believe is Latin for "con artists", by the way), who are portrayed as knowledgeable authorities, blatantly state that the people executed in the Salem Witch Trials were actually practitioners of witchcraft. Sorry, but I'm not going to passively ignore that coming from a film that wants to be taken literally. Also, there is a lot of blatant misogyny in the film. All evil in the film seems to be the end result of some woman's wrongdoing. Not to mention the fact that only women seem to be susceptible to demonic possession.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,163,171 times
I get offended by the type of sports or learning movies where the black man is always the victim. Then during the movie, the white teacher, sport person whatever realizes how good/ decent black people really are and la la la la la. Then everyones breaking out in dance or singing Kubaya..I think it insults the intelligence of all involved. These movies if any grate at my nerves. Its seems like they perpetuate racism in my mind. They keep it going. We know racism existed and still exists, but let's not act like it is only white people who are racist. What gets me even more is as a white guy I have endured racism by other races, yet I've never done anything to them. Both sides of my family weren't even around in the slavery days. So why should I be looked at like I'm the white devil? My fathers side came from Italy in 1943. My mothers side is French Canadian. None of my families participated in slavery. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely am appalled what black people had to go through. At the same time I myself just don't feel responsible. But every time I see one of these movies where the black man had it so bad and all the whitey's were evil it grates at me. They've done a movie about just about everything at this point. Schools, football, basketball, etc. etc. What's next, "they wouldn't let Jerome go into the pool room. So Jerome had to learn pool at home on a beat up pool table and started beating everyone out. Now Jerome is accepted and they love him. It's just lame in my book. My middle names Jerome by the way.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 12-29-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,608,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I get offended by the type of sports or learning movies where the black man is always the victim. Then during the movie, the white teacher, sport person whatever realizes how good/ decent black people really are and la la la la la. Then everyones breaking out in dance or singing Kubaya..I think it insults the intelligence of all involved. These movies if any grate at my nerves. Its seems like they perpetuate racism in my mind. They keep it going. We know racism existed and still exists, but let's not act like it is only white people who are racist. What gets me even more is as a white guy I have endured racism by other races, yet I've never done anything to them. Both sides of my family weren't even around in the slavery days. So why should I be looked at like I'm the white devil? My fathers side came from Italy in 1943. My mothers side is French Canadian. None of my families participated in slavery. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely am appalled what black people had to go through. At the same time I myself just don't feel responsible. But every time I see one of these movies where the black man had it so bad and all the whitey's were evil it grates at me. They've done a movie about just about everything at this point. Schools, football, basketball, etc. etc. What's next, "they wouldn't let Jerome go into the pool room. So Jerome had to learn pool at home on a beat up pool table and started beating everyone out. Now Jerome is accepted and they love him. It's just lame in my book. My middle names Jerome by the way.
This is the worst post I've read in months.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,947,902 times
I had this thread a while ago. Not exactly the same topic, but about movies with themes or messages that angered me (and offended me).
I think a lot of the posts from that thread fit this topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/movie...you-angry.html

Old 01-01-2014, 04:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Hunger Games. The entire premise.
TRosa
I think the question being by the person questioning, you put was not about the fact that you were offended, but why? Most other people have at least mentioned a sentence of why they found a movie offensive. You said the entire premise. Clearly, you saw something that at least a few of us didn't, if it's the entire premise. I'm confused as to why you won't explain. Some of us actually would like to know. Not as a point of ridicule, but one of discussion. Isn't that the point of these boards? Otherwise, you're simply making a statement, with nothing to back it up.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,487,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
TRosa
I think the question being by the person questioning, you put was not about the fact that you were offended, but why? Most other people have at least mentioned a sentence of why they found a movie offensive. You said the entire premise. Clearly, you saw something that at least a few of us didn't, if it's the entire premise. I'm confused as to why you won't explain. Some of us actually would like to know. Not as a point of ridicule, but one of discussion. Isn't that the point of these boards? Otherwise, you're simply making a statement, with nothing to back it up.
Namaste, 2014 let it go. My appologies for making the unsubstantiated statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies