Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:52 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i actually agree with all the above. the movies i brought up earlier were more of an insult to my intelligence than an offense. i do still find the underlying premis behind Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - that if a black man works hard and becomes a doctor or a Senator, then maybe, just maybe, he'll be good enough to marry some air-head white girl - to be a little offensive though.
A RICH, air-head white girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
LOL....you obviously have not yet seen Lord Of the Rings: Twin Towers?

They got talking trees! And they are as dumb as a door knob!
Well, would you think talking trees would be smart?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
There's this movie, LIFE with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence, that disgusted me. It's supposed to be a comedy but I saw nothing funny about two black men being railroaded by white men and can't do nothing about it. I'm white and I see nothing funny about the way the blacks were treated in the past.
I agree, that movie was not funny. The overwhelming feeling I had watching it was sadness.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times
For me its Eat Pray Love. For the exact same reasons I had problems with the book. The woman came off as very self centered and rather shellfish. She decides she doesn't want to be married anymore and travel around the world to "find" herself. During all of this she still gets paid by her job!!! Amazing. Even more amazing is the fact that this is based on a true story. It says a lot about today's view of marriage in general. That relationships are "disposable", and working on them is really unnecessary.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I just thought of another one that angered me more than offended me - House of Sand and Fog - but I actually thought it was a good movie. I was really angry at the Jeniffer Connelly character in that movie. The problem is, I don't know if that was the intent of the screenwriter/director. Her irresponsibility was the reason that everything bad in the movie happened. I was actually really mad when I left the theater. I suppose if a movie evokes any kind of emotion, it's well done, but I wonder to this day if that's what they were going for. A California friend of mine had an entirely different sympathetic reaction to that character.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Modern movies that act like they're super-enlightened about race such Driving Miss Daisy, The Blind Side, and The Help are just as bad.
You must be the only person in the world who was offended by "Driving Miss Daisy".

Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
You must be the only person in the world who was offended by "Driving Miss Daisy".
Spike Lee said he wasn't bothered that Do the Right Thing didn't win Best Picture, but instead that DMD did.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I have to go with Identity Theft - I was offended by the title alone and saw nothing humorous about stealing someone else's identify and ruining their credit. I refused to even see the movie, but my daughter and husband went. He was sorry he wasted the time.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
The American President was good acting and a cute plot if they would have stayed away from the whole gun control grandstanding issue. Ruined the whole movie for me.
And high fidelity, good movie, except the part where the actress discloses she has had an abortion. I found it disturbing how cavalierly the issue was treated. Yet everyone seems to have overlooked it and said how great the movie was. It was good, except for that part which ruined it for me, I thought it was supposed to have been a comedy

Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
The American President was good acting and a cute plot if they would have stayed away from the whole gun control grandstanding issue. Ruined the whole movie for me.
And high fidelity, good movie, except the part where the actress discloses she has had an abortion. I found it disturbing how cavalierly the issue was treated. Yet everyone seems to have overlooked it and said how great the movie was. It was good, except for that part which ruined it for me, I thought it was supposed to have been a comedy
I don't remember anything about gun control in The American President. I believe it was focused on a crime control bill. What I remember is Annette Bening being an environmental lobbyist. And High Fidelity was a comedy. Just because "abortion" is mentioned doesn't mean the movie isn't classified as a comedy. You know that in many comedies, they talk about death, right? Does that mean the movie has to be classified as a drama because death was brought up? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies