Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times

Advertisements

The 70's Carrie was great....should have left it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
The movie is a horror classic, but it has the same weakness as the book: Carrie's mom is ridiculously over the top. She's more caricature than character.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
I am. I watch it on cable most times it comes on. Sissy Spacek was great as Carrie in every aspect. You identified with her and her struggles and the tormenting teenage villains really came across as such.

You will know her name....... : )

Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I read this a while ago (before the remake of Carrie) thought some would be interested.
Sissy Spacek got the part because her husband was the set designer and asked De Palma
if she could play the role. Once De Palma saw her, he said that "she looks just like Carrie
should look."

P.J. Soles Reminisces About the Original Carrie -- Vulture
That's interesting because although I love Sissy Spacek, I never thought she fit the part.

I had read the book a year or two before the movie came out - I pictured someone much more homely and heavy set, much more of a "misfit" like the ones in my high school in that era. There was one heavy girl in particular, with greasy hair, glasses and bad clothes, that always walked the halls with her head down, pushing her glasses on her nose, at my high school and was picked on, that I had in my mind when I read the book.

To me, Sissy was way too slim and pretty for the role to be believable as an "outcast".

Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I read this a while ago (before the remake of Carrie) thought some would be interested.
Sissy Spacek got the part because her husband was the set designer and asked De Palma
if she could play the role. Once De Palma saw her, he said that "she looks just like Carrie
should look."

P.J. Soles Reminisces About the Original Carrie -- Vulture
The casting of Sissy Spacek couldn't have been more perfect. She was how I imagined Carrie to be when I read the book.

When I saw the new Carrie poster I had to roll my eyes; the problem with young actors today is that they all look alike. There is nothing awkward, quirky, or unique about the new Carrie, unlike Spacek's Carrie who was so memorable. She looks like another ho-hum actress who belongs on the CW channel not in the movies playing an iconic character.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:07 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
That's interesting because although I love Sissy Spacek, I never thought she fit the part.

I had read the book a year or two before the movie came out - I pictured someone much more homely and heavy set, much more of a "misfit" like the ones in my high school in that era. There was one heavy girl in particular, with greasy hair, glasses and bad clothes, that always walked the halls with her head down, pushing her glasses on her nose, at my high school and was picked on, that I had in my mind when I read the book.

To me, Sissy was way too slim and pretty for the role to be believable as an "outcast".
But it seems like the "mean girls" would hate someone like Carrie because she really is potentially attractive, and more of a threat to them because of it.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The casting of Sissy Spacek couldn't have been more perfect. She was how I imagined Carrie to be when I read the book.

When I saw the new Carrie poster I had to roll my eyes; the problem with young actors today is that they all look alike. There is nothing awkward, quirky, or unique about the new Carrie, unlike Spacek's Carrie who was so memorable. She looks like another ho-hum actress who belongs on the CW channel not in the movies playing an iconic character.
I thought the poster looked cool, Have not seen the remake. Question: Does the new Carrie to toss around the Jersey shore cast and the Kardashians in this film? I will certainly watch the remake then!!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:

As much as I love Sissy Spacek, and as much as I think she did a splendid job playing Carrie, I have to agree that Ms. Spacek did not fit the physical description of Carrie from the book. But she did such a great job portraying an insecure, bullied teenager that it ended up not mattering one bit.

I read the book not long after it came out, and was very excited for the movie, but for the most part I was disappointed in how the book's unique narrative was adapted for the screen. The one scene, though, that really rang true was that last one, even though it didn't happen in the book. It still gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Haven't read the book in awhile; I should read it again soon.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As much as I love Sissy Spacek, and as much as I think she did a splendid job playing Carrie, I have to agree that Ms. Spacek did not fit the physical description of Carrie from the book. But she did such a great job portraying an insecure, bullied teenager that it ended up not mattering one bit.

I read the book not long after it came out, and was very excited for the movie, but for the most part I was disappointed in how the book's unique narrative was adapted for the screen. The one scene, though, that really rang true was that last one, even though it didn't happen in the book. It still gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Haven't read the book in awhile; I should read it again soon.
Yes, she did not fit the book description exactly. But sometimes the film director has a better idea of a character's appearance, for the film he is trying to create.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:

Well, apparently while you chose just the "heavy" kids to be picked on, other children were picked on for a number of reasons. And having a nutball, religious mother could go a long way to making her a social outcast, no matter what she looked like. Besides, that made the story even more. She could have been that attractive, popular girl, had she not had the restrictive upbringing she had.

I thought she was perfectly cast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies