Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:17 AM

22,937 posts, read 28,322,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
High Noon, and The Duke's The Alamo. I think I might have become a (somewhat) different person if I hadn't been exposed to both movies at a tender age. Of course they both express essentially the same thing: "There's right, and there's wrong. Do the one, and you're living. Do the other, and you may be walking around, but you're dead as a beaver hat." (David Crockett in The Alamo)
I first saw The Alamo when I was 10 years old. I watched it in a hotel in San Antonio. We went to the real Alamo the next day. That's the way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,625,827 times
Quote:
Have any movies caused you view the world differently or live differently than you once did?

f.2 noted movies are 'fantasy'. I think in a way they're also like going into a 'dream'. I also think they do help in having the viewer 'see' the world differently. You know there's a thraed that asks why we watch some movies over and over,. if you ask me that's a clue that films and their themes are certainly important to some. Has to be soemmting to it iof you keep watching mit! It must fulfill some need in all of us! Anyway, film is a great art. It entertains, teaches and does orient ourselves to the world in a few ways.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:55 PM

211 posts, read 373,512 times
Goodwill Hunting.

"I had to go see about a girl"

Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 AM

8,058 posts, read 10,656,443 times
"Grease"

Said my own mental "goodby to Sandra Dee" right there and then.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,005,338 times
Splendor in the Grass defined a significant part of my life. I nearly lost my mind after the first love broke up with me.

But that was then. I'm cool now.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,845,768 times
I saw "The Enchanted Forest" in 1945.
It has been a major influence on my life.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM

420 posts, read 698,763 times
Didn't define my life but changed captured my life up to that point. I was 15 when it came out.

KIDS.

Similar sentiments for La Haine (French).

Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Splendor in the Grass...forgot about that movie....thank you.
Schindler's List excellent choice.

"Brother Sun, Sister Moon"...profound love for God of St. Francis

"The Greatest Story Ever Told"...profound human love

"Robin and Marion"...profound human love.

"Dead Man Walking"....profound human love shown by Sister Prejean

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,924,773 times
It's a Wonderful Life

I always remind myself how we all touch the lives of so many others, positively and negatively whether we know it or not. When I have to make a decision, and after going through all my usual pros & cons and consideration I'm still stuck, I ask myself "Which choice am I more likely to regret? Which will I feel better about in the future, when looking at it in retrospect? If I don't do X, what would be all the potential consequences?" I envision being shown how things would be if I, or my decision, were taken out of the picture (like the angel showed George Bailey in the movie). It usually helps, and I've been doing it since my late teens, the first time I watched the movie all the way through.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM

7,387 posts, read 12,697,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
It's a Wonderful Life

I always remind myself how we all touch the lives of so many others, positively and negatively whether we know it or not. When I have to make a decision, and after going through all my usual pros & cons and consideration I'm still stuck, I ask myself "Which choice am I more likely to regret? Which will I feel better about in the future, when looking at it in retrospect? If I don't do X, what would be all the potential consequences?" I envision being shown how things would be if I, or my decision, were taken out of the picture (like the angel showed George Bailey in the movie). It usually helps, and I've been doing it since my late teens, the first time I watched the movie all the way through.
Can't rep you, but it's a wonderful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies