Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

What movies have you seen that you thought accurately represented reality and the way things really are?

I thought of this thread when I was pondering Milos Forman's "Loves of a Blonde", that so perfectly portrayed the life and times (Eastern bloc Czechoslovakia) it brought tears to my eyes. Then I thought of a few more, but they were all foreign films, too.

Among American titles, "Thirteen" is the only one that quickly comes to mind. Another one might be "Ruby in Paradise".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,591 times
2010 Oscar nominated "Winter's Bone " is one I felt was a very realistic look at the Meth culture in rural counties ( especially the south ).

Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What movies have you seen that you thought accurately represented reality and the way things really are?

I thought of this thread when I was pondering Milos Forman's "Loves of a Blonde", that so perfectly portrayed the life and times (Eastern bloc Czechoslovakia) it brought tears to my eyes. Then I thought of a few more, but they were all foreign films, too.

Among American titles, "Thirteen" is the only one that quickly comes to mind. Another one might be "Ruby in Paradise".
Thanks...I'll add "Ruby in Paradise" to my movie collection. I've always like Ashley Judd since watching "Double Jeopardy."

Top of my list is "Fiddler on the Roof"

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
2010 Oscar nominated "Winter's Bone " is one I felt was a very realistic look at the Meth culture in rural counties ( especially the south ).
This ^^ was the film that I immediately thought of as well. I also thought The Fighter was pretty realistic.

I think that any film that incorporates and uses the neighborhood/city/state/general setting into the plot and character development of the film tends to be more realistic as do biopics that are based on the extraordinary real-life experiences of people or events in history. Here are some more favs that are very realistic:

The Straight Story
Goodfellas
All About Eve

Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Relatively Recently some of my favourites for realism:

Winter's Bone
Downfall
La Haine
A Prophet
Meek's cutoff
Nil By Mouth
The Class
Das Boot
No Man's Land
Wendy and Lucy
The Lives of Others
The White Ribbon
This is England
Caramel
Life is Sweet
The Death of Mr Lazarescu
Tsotsi
Lebanon

Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I loved Ruby in Paradise.
I agree with the other choices mentioned, though I'm not exactly an expert on Southern meth subculture.

Mean Creek seemed very real to me. Kids can be such jerks to each other, and they just don't always see where things are headed.

The Pursuit of Happyness was a compelling film based on a true story, and I thought the acting and direction really brought home a man's predicament and how he saw his way through it. There were intense, emotional moments, but the sequences that really got to me the most were the socially awkward ones--they just felt so real.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Two-Family House, if I remember correctly.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,491 times
I watched Alive the other night. According to survivors of the 1972 plane crash, this movie is pretty much true to life. I think Alive is a forgotten gem of a movie. Check it out.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
I watched Alive the other night. According to survivors of the 1972 plane crash, this movie is pretty much true to life. I think Alive is a forgotten gem of a movie. Check it out.
Good call.
That plane crash was one of the most terrifying moments I've ever had while watching a movie. And we were home, we weren't even watching it in a theater.
I had previously read the book and the film did seem to follow what happened, perhaps leaving out a few subtleties. It was a grim subject treated with respect and honesty.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
The completely dysfunctional, yet loving and supportive family in Little Miss Sunshine struck a chord of realism with me.

The movie Office Space took many of the stark realisms of the workplace and over-exaggerated them to very humorous effect. It's funny because so much of it rings true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies