Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 269,563 times

Advertisements

Dead Man Down: Anyone else seen this new movie? I saw it yesterday. It was really good in my opinion. I'll give it 8.5 or 9 out of 10. There were a few twists and turns that I didn't expect, and it had great action and acting. The storyline kept me intrigued and guessing at what would happen next until the end. Anyone else seen this movie, and liked it or have a different opinion about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM

668 posts, read 997,754 times
I decided to see it last night based on it's relatively high IMDB rating despite seeing several bad reviews on it. I knew as soon as I saw that it was from "WWE Productions" that I needed to set my expectations way low. Once I did, I thought it was ok, but it really was a movie equivalent of a professional wrestling match: the stars were pleasing to look at and the action was well paced and choreographed with a few exciting "holy crap!" moments, but ultimately the plot proved to be at best implausible, and at worst utterly ridiculous.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 269,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I decided to see it last night based on it's relatively high IMDB rating despite seeing several bad reviews on it. I knew as soon as I saw that it was from "WWE Productions" that I needed to set my expectations way low. Once I did, I thought it was ok, but it really was a movie equivalent of a professional wrestling match: the stars were pleasing to look at and the action was well paced and choreographed with a few exciting "holy crap!" moments, but ultimately the plot proved to be at best implausible, and at worst utterly ridiculous.
I respect peoples' opinions, but I would disagree. I didn't think it was a ridiculous plot. I thought it was an original idea.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM

668 posts, read 997,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
I respect peoples' opinions, but I would disagree. I didn't think it was a ridiculous plot. I thought it was an original idea.
Fair enough, but I thought the only original element was Noomi Rapace's character, and I felt that at the end, what was developing to be an interesting character was turned into the typical damsel in distress by the end of the movie.

The issues I couldn't get past, and what I would qualify as ranging from "implausible" to "ridiculous" plot points were:

Spoiler

- The fact that Alphonse not only had his men try to intimidate Victor's family, but then put a hit out on them when they were going to testify, and yet not a single one of them recognized him, despite the fact that all he did to change his appearance was to shave his beard. Then, in less than 3 years Victor is able to recover from his wounds, become a weapons expert, and somehow worm his way into being a member of Alphonse's inner circle. How did not a single person recognize him? They never address this.
- When Victor sent his note that it's "not the 7's" that implicate his mysterious tormentor, Alphonse didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize that only a handful of people were in the room when he made his comment, and at least 1 of them was now dead.
- When Darcy is doing his investigation and learns from the homeless man that a "gypsy cab" had dropped Paul off, he is able to somehow figure out the cab company and determine he next took him to the cemetary next. The whole point of gypsy cabs is that they are unlicensed individual drivers who don't work with a centralized company, and likely wouldn't keep records. How he would have even been able to figure out the cab in question is never addressed.
- Once Darcy does make it to the cemetary, we immediately see him focusing on Victor's supposed burial site. He never says why, or how he came upon this one gravesite out of who knows how many, or how the name matters.

All of these scenes seemed to exist merely to move the plot along, and the director was asking you to just not worry about the details. It could have been handled better, and thus make a better, more compelling movie. Instead, you're left with a whole bunch of implausible events that are supposed to qualify as plot.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,500,370 times
I liked it. I thought it was an interesting twist on the revenge genre. And Colin Farrell is always a pleasure to watch .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies