Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,331,288 times

Advertisements

Survival of the Dead...

I'm sure most horror movie goers know by now that George A Romero is the one responsible for the whole 'Night of the living Dead' genre...or at least is the one that got it right...

He was to Zombie films what George Lucas (star wars) was to space sci-fi...

He brought a certain realstic edge to the screen, concerning zombies, that was un paralled back in 68...so ye, this director has been around for a while...

I'm not done with 'Survival of the Dead' yet...but in watching it so far...if I must compare the first one he did, with this, his most current...I'd have to say...in this case, wine doesn't get better with time...The original Night of the living Dead is for more scarier, and much more of a classic, than Survival of the dead will ever be...

I'm like 'George, what went wrong, your suppose to get better, not worse'...

Survival of the Dead feels more like a made for tv special...some kids afternoon school special or something...from the bubble background music constantly playing, to the cast of characters...it all just has a 'Sabrina, the Teenage witch' feel to it...not good...

I'm die hard horror...and when I buy or rent a horror movie, I expect it to creep me out in ways every day life cannot...an escape of sorts...

And I hold zombie movies to the same standard...28 days later (infected people) prooved that movies made in that genre can still frighten you if written, produced and directed right...

And or Will Smiths 'I am Legend'...so ye, Zombie type films can still work and be very effective...

I don't know if this film was or is suppose to be some kind of a half hearted 'spoof', kinda poking fun at his own previous work...I do know it just doesn't have that same level of suspense and believability that his previous films had...

It feels more like Gilligans Iland meets zombies...and so far I'm thoroughly disappointed...from the cast of dull, unattractive, uninteresting characters, to the silly studio musical scores to the story line...this Halloween film just doesn't live up to it's punch...

Gore? sure there's lots of gore...but it feels more like video game gore...gore just for the sake of gore...

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/79326_1.jpg (broken link)

And that sums it up perfectly...you will get about as scared watching this movie, as you would playing a zombie video game...
(I wouldn't be suprised if gamers had a role or influence in the films make-up...gamers need to stay away from directing or writing movies...trying to adapt video game cg or scenerios to real life scary movies, just doesn't work)

From a 1-10 on the scary factor...I give it a 1...

Although, I don't know how they did it...but somehow, in the film...they cross movies...in other words, there's another zombie movie scene in a film that came out a few years ago...and some how they worked a cross scene of that movie into this one...that was clever...but the other movie they crossed scenes with, was actually better and more compelling...

Anyhow..that's my review...I'm not done watching it yet...but I doubt it will get any better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,286,563 times
Go watch the crazies instead! No zombies but similar concepts

Old 10-11-2010, 08:09 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,331,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Go watch the crazies instead! No zombies but similar concepts
I've seen the Crazies...and I kinda enjoyed it...It had more of a realistic feel to it than George Romeos movie...

I really wish I could get funding to write, produce, and direct a good horror film...

I have one in mind titled 'Follow the light'...and has to do with Near Death experiences...

I should go ahead and write the story anyhow...I know how to make a movie scary...

And musical scores is one of the main factors...

A truly scary movie will not have any kind of 'pop' music in the background...instead it will have sounds...creepy sounds...but no music...no hollywood studio rock or funk music...

And all people cast for roles, will have a ordinary everyday look to them...

Scary has to be believable...it's amazing how many new writers or directors forget that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies