Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Nice little time capsule here. If you ever wanted to see what Hollywood looked like in 1930-1931, this short is for you. The tour includes the Brown Derby and a premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater.

This is great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 10:52 AM

3,191 posts, read 1,283,746 times
In the USA, between the years of 1930 and 1950, just about all color movies and cartoons were shot in Technicolor. It is hard to encounter any other color process being used for movies or cartoons rather than Technicolor itself during that period. Then Eastmancolor came out in early 50s.

Kodak had introduced Kodacrome in 1935 but I couldn't find one single color movie to be shot that way.

If any of you guys know a movie shot in Kodacrome 1, please inform me.

Aside from that, Germans had Agfacolor in 1930s which was used for both color photography and montion pictures.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 12-03-2021 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
In the USA, between the years of 1930 and 1950, just about all color movies and cartoons were shot in Technicolor. It is hard to encounter any other color process being used for movies or cartoons rather than Technicolor itself during that period. Then Eastmancolor came out in early 50s.

Kodak had introduced Kodacrome in 1935 but I couldn't find one single color movie to be shot that way.

If any of you guys know a movie shot in Kodacrome 1, please inform me.

Aside from that, Germans had Agfacolor in 1930s which was used for both color photography and montion pictures.
From 1930 to 1950, almost all movies were shot in black and white on nitrate film stock, which gave a gorgeous picture, far better than what followed in the acetate and polyester stocks. You have to see it to understand. It is a completely different experience.

Kodachrome was initially an EXTREMELY slow and costly film, with all sorts of issues in motion pictures - it got better, but not enough to make inroads. Agfa (which came much later) had color shift, but in a different direction than Eastman (which went vinegar red). I've used Agfa, Kodachrome, the various Kodak "X" films, Ektachrome, Cibachrome, and litho and H&W developers in still photography.

Three strip technicolor was great for archival quality, but a total bear in production.

Please remember that ortho film stock was the standard until the pan film stocks got introduced. You cannot make realistic color until the limitations of ortho are addressed. There were two color and three color attempts made, but with limited success.

I had the great honor of meeting and talking with John Smith from Kodak in the early 1970s, who was the historian of the company and promotor of quality use of the film stocks. I suspect that he could give much more information on how animation was approached and what the challenges were back before the 1950s.

Old 12-04-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
From 1930 to 1950, almost all movies were shot in black and white on nitrate film stock, which gave a gorgeous picture, far better than what followed in the acetate and polyester stocks. You have to see it to understand. It is a completely different experience.

Kodachrome was initially an EXTREMELY slow and costly film, with all sorts of issues in motion pictures - it got better, but not enough to make inroads. Agfa (which came much later) had color shift, but in a different direction than Eastman (which went vinegar red). I've used Agfa, Kodachrome, the various Kodak "X" films, Ektachrome, Cibachrome, and litho and H&W developers in still photography.

Three strip technicolor was great for archival quality, but a total bear in production.

Please remember that ortho film stock was the standard until the pan film stocks got introduced. You cannot make realistic color until the limitations of ortho are addressed. There were two color and three color attempts made, but with limited success.

I had the great honor of meeting and talking with John Smith from Kodak in the early 1970s, who was the historian of the company and promotor of quality use of the film stocks. I suspect that he could give much more information on how animation was approached and what the challenges were back before the 1950s.
Agfacolor didn't come much later than Kodachrome. It was released in 1930s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agfacolor

Edit:

I don't know if you counted Technicolor as black and white above but they were getting color by using those color filters, red, green and blue. I don't know everything to the full detail because every information on internet is in english and english is my foreign language but I accepted Technicolor as color myself. Wrong or True.

I watched too many movies between 1930 and 1950 in Technicolor. Both 2 strip and 3 strip. There are a lot of movies shot in Technicolor during that time. Gone with the wind and The Wizard of Oz are no exception.

In 1929, movies became in sound and before that time, in very, very little parts of the movies were in Technicolor but as the silent movies were over, they started shooting movies in Technicolor to the full with the latest version of 2 strip Technicolor, which was unlike before. But it was after 3 strip Technicolor came, when color films became more commonly made

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hnicolor_films

Last edited by The Grandeur; 12-04-2021 at 02:43 AM..

Old 12-04-2021, 08:08 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
You might enjoy the website of my late friend Marty Hart: American WideScreen Museum - provided as a public service by Martin Hart

Marty was the go-to guy for much of the technical aspects of film history. You may find that his site answers a lot of your questions.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You might enjoy the website of my late friend Marty Hart: American WideScreen Museum - provided as a public service by Martin Hart

Marty was the go-to guy for much of the technical aspects of film history. You may find that his site answers a lot of your questions.
Nice website.

I think Agfacolor is missed.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:01 AM

Earliest natural color film dates back to 1902. No one has mentioned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqZM84vWj-g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies