Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,633,348 times

Advertisements

I've really been into French neo-noir movies with some seriously good cinematography. I've seen Diva, La Femme Nikita and Subway.

The only American film I've seen on this level was Michael Mann's Manhunter which blows them all out of the water actually. But does anyone know of any other great films that share this look? That contrast the heavy dark black with blue tints, has excellent cinematography?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM

22,945 posts, read 28,339,187 times
In terms of characters, plot, and theme, L.A. Confidential is one of the best films of the '90s. But it was purposefully shot so that it would not look like a noir film. It's actually a beautiful, very clear movie full of bright California sunshine.

Blade Runner is noir, and a great movie.

The first Terminator film was actually labelled "tech noir" at the time.

Friedkin's To Live and Die in L.A. is actually a pretty good noir flick from the mid '80s.

I actually didn't like Manhunter all that much. Mann took a very good book and turned it into a very blah movie. Michael Mann films always look great. In terms of cinematography, few directors outside of Ridley Scott can match him. But in terms of story and character, Mann films are a muddled mess. He puts so much thought into how each scene looks that he tends to ignore things like character development or a coherent plot.

I suspect someone will come along and site Leon (The Professional in the U.S.), but again, I find this an extremely over-rated movie. Brilliantly acted, yes, but the story is a mess. Gary Oldman's character is so vile and evil that he could give second-rate comic book villains lessons in nastiness. I half-expected him to tie Natalie Portman to the railroad tracks for the movie's last scene.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,237,210 times
"Dark City" is noir, too, of a different type.

Dark City Trailer - YouTube

In the opening to the trailer, "The Crow" is mentioned. It, too, has many noir traits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzo-F9fIbU

Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times
I think Memento falls into this category, it is in my top 10 list. Would also add Mulholland Falls with Jennifer Connelly's spectacular natural double Ds (before the reduction), Dead Again, Red Rock West (which to me is strikingly similar to the movie U-Turn), and one that was already mentioned, Dark City. Actually, Connelly played in lots of movies in this genre, you could search out films she's played in for ideas. She also played in a movie with Don Johnson that I would put in this category, I just can't remember the title. It was also early 90s if my memory serves me well.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Terminator works. I am specifically looking for the French 80s look like Diva. Blue tints, dark contrast, the cinematography.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,370,247 times
What about Brian De Palma films?
He had more than a few early 80s ones that were very Hitchcock. I liked "Blow Out" with John Travolta (one of his forgotten ones, that is really good), Body Double, Dressed to Kill.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM

All good choices!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,643,984 times
To make things easier, here's this:

List of film noir titles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies