Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,022 times

Advertisements

[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]Dude, that is because you are a film expert, not a food scientist. Any food scientist will tell you no one can survive a 227 days at sea with only eating four people's meat. Both raw and cook meat rots within a few days. The only way to survive 227 days at sea is to catch fresh fish from the ocean every one or two days and drink collected rain from the sky. The first story is the only way out, that is why Ang Lee put it into 3D, not the second story!![/FONT][/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 AM

22,423 posts, read 29,581,553 times
I can't wait to see it!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,591,171 times
I loved the movie. I wasn't expecting to and actually dreaded that I was going to go see it, but I really did enjoy it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
I am so glad I took my grandkids (ages 3-10) to see this movie! We all loved it. Great for any age.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,160,310 times
We saw it on New Year's Day and loved it! What a beautiful movie!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 AM

46 posts, read 135,421 times
I am planning to see it too, not in 3D - its a bit expensive compared to the usual on hehe but I still have no time, maybe on weekend will do

Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 921 times
Default Movie

Yaa,It is really a very good movie.One will get some great knowledge from this movie.I know 3-4 my friends who are also saying the same that this is the movie to watch out.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 PM

21 posts, read 16,719 times
Great movie, it's special effects makes it more entertaining.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,138,999 times
It's interesting reading different perspectives of this story.

My first impression of this story was that God represents the preference of goodness.
Goodness, being true to one's nature, one's potential.
It is in carnivorous animals' nature to eat other animals - that is how they were created to be.
Humans are not created to kill each other.
Humans have more intelligence, potential and ability to choose, rather than go by instinct.
Choosing the story about the animals, over the other story, is a way of accepting the "circle of life" among animals and refusing to accept such animalistic behavior from humanity.

Pi's experience alone on the boat & raft reminded me of the ultimate struggle - to conquer one's own ego/pride. "The kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within you." Sometimes we have to get to the place where somehow we don't have other gods before God (looking for love in all the wrong places) & are somewhat al-one enough to experience God. As we get deeper in exploring the kingdom of God within us, we must confront every obstacle, so it can be a partly hellish & partly heavenly journey to the depths of our souls.

After thinking about other perspectives, I see more spiritual lessons from this story...
Focusing on the grim reality & trying to get through this life on the belief of self-determinism is lonely, uninspiring & even discouraging.
We cannot help but think in subjectively limited (illusional) ways, we might as well have our illusions/thoughts work for us, rather than against us, especially considering the power of our subconscious, which seems to be accessed best by belief in a higher power.
Yet, there is a delicate balance between focusing on what inspires us & embracing reality, to be able to respond in the most beneficial way.

We need "functional illusions."
It doesn't matter so much what illusions we embrace, as long as they are functional by honoring and loving (striving for what's best for) others as well as ourselves.
That sounds so simple, but it isn't!
Most of us want to cling to something or someone we find inspiring, when really, the most functional illusion (God), IMO, is an ever-changing process, because it is in responding "best" to each evolving circumstancial moment. This is why some type of belief in a higher power is important, however, even such belief needs to be open to expanding to new truth.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 05-06-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,577,247 times
Really great movie! I cannot recommend it enough!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies