Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 05:15 PM

11,668 posts, read 6,094,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Is it just my luck, or do others have issues with the DVDs from Netflix? A high percentage of mine stop, skip, jump, or just plain won't play. Some of them I've sent back because it's next to impossible to watch them at all, others we've just skipped ahead or whatever it takes to make them play. But we shouldn't have to do that. And, no, it's not because we have an old player, we just got a new Blu-Ray player a while ago.
Does anyone else have this problem, or am I the only lucky one??
I used to have the same problem.

Heavily used DVDs develop physical scratches and other damage that causes this.

I have mainly solved this problem by cleaning each Netflix DVD before using it. This creates a high probability the DVD will play all the way through, and it keeps my DVD player cleaner.

Go buy some "Plexus" anti-static plastic cleaner protectant & polish. Spray it on the silver down side, not the label side. Then wipe briskly with a fairly clean microfiber cloth. You don't need a new microfiber cloth for every DVD. You can clean dozens of CDs before you need to clean or replace the microfiber cloth.

You can buy Plexus at motorcycle shops. I don't know where else to find it. Hardware stores maybe?

For an example of what you need, here is a link to Plexus on Amazon. Good luck. I have had fantastic luck with this most of the time. I mean, if the CD is cracked, there is nothing you can do. But for surface damage, this fixes it 99% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Ozplex...990835&sr=8-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 05:17 PM

11,668 posts, read 6,094,136 times
Egads. Old thread is old. Who re-opened it?

Well, even 10 years later, Plexus still works to fix damaged Netflix DVDs, so there is that.

Then again, I am probably the only person who still takes CDs instead of streaming. But then, there are movies on CD that aren't avaible to be streamed, so...

Old 07-05-2020, 05:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 8,192,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Sounds like it needs a firmware upgrade. Look at this thread, it might not be your exact player, but it's for Samsung:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...et/td-p/921298
All of Samsung's Blu-ray players which were connected to the net crashed about 2 weeks ago and are stuck in a start up loop so you can't update them. Samsung had gotten out of the Blu-ray player manufacturing business nobody noticed the continued support needed as they all their players and some other home entertainment products have become bricks.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,261,151 times
I believe I have had one that was not the fault of a player and I have been with Netflix since about 2008 when I moved to UT and there were no Blockbuster stores within a few hundred miles.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:13 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,389,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Egads. Old thread is old. Who re-opened it?

Well, even 10 years later, Plexus still works to fix damaged Netflix DVDs, so there is that.

Then again, I am probably the only person who still takes CDs instead of streaming. But then, there are movies on CD that aren't avaible to be streamed, so...
Agree! We do the CD’s. We can get many movies that our friends with streaming can’t get. Of course, they get some new stuff we don’t have access to. However, for $8.55 a month, I am happy.

Have only had one disk in 3 years that we had to return. Another we fixed by wiping it lightly with alcohol on a cotton swab or ball. Worked fine after that.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 AM

5,471 posts, read 8,203,627 times
I've been getting DVDs and Blu-rays continuously from Netflix since 1999, more than 2000 discs, and have had very, very few that were unplayable. And part of this time I lived in the Alaska bush, 400 miles from the road system, where they went through hell to get to me. About the only thing they weren't carried on were dog sleds.

Most of the ones that didn't play were cracked.

In the beginning, they tried different packaging, including padded envelopes, before they decided on the current red envelopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies