Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,045,254 times

Advertisements

Word is that this trailer might be taken down because it was released too early or something like that, but right now it is up, and the movie looks true to the source material. Cloud Atlas is one of the best books I've ever read. The trailer will seem confusing for those who have not read the book, but the story, once you get into it, is original and engrossing.

5 minute trailer for Cloud Atlas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
I've never read the book, but I've never liked a Wachowski movie. The trailer looks very Benjamin Buttonish.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I've never read the book, but I've never liked a Wachowski movie. The trailer looks very Benjamin Buttonish.
Not sure what you mean about Benjamin Buttonish, but if you've never liked a Wachowski movie (I myself have not liked all of them) you might not like this one. I know you like the George RR Martin books so you might like to at least read Cloud Atlas, then check out the reviews when the movie opens.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Not sure what you mean about Benjamin Buttonish
Great special effects utilized largely for navel-gazing life lessons. My reaction to that tends to be Zzzzzzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I know you like the George RR Martin books so you might like to at least read Cloud Atlas, then check out the reviews when the movie opens.
Cool. Thanks! I'll put it on my library list.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,323,279 times
This movie seems a little to heavy for me. I am not too crazy about movies that span different periods of time. I don't know why I just don't.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,916,539 times
I loved that book! For those who didn't read it, it's a book or several short stories, that loosely tie together into a single novel. It leads the reader to understand that the protagonist in each story is the same person, but reincarnated into different lives. You move from the 1800s, through a few lives in the 20th century, the present day, into the future, and the post-apocalptic distant future. Each lifetime adds something, some experience, some lesson, to the main character, but they never really come out and say "Hey! It's reincarnation!"

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,631,678 times
This movie has to be 12 hours long to make any sense based on the trailer.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 PM

668 posts, read 995,239 times
Cloud Atlas is highly regarded as one of the best novels written within the past 12 years (see The Millions : #3: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell). Do yourself a favor and read the book before seeing the movie so that you won't be influenced by preconceived notions of the Wachowskis (who produced, not directed) or any of the actors involved. I admit that at times it can be a trying read, but it does reward its readers in its second half. Then, once you have read it go see the movie to determine how much they either lived up to the high expectations or absolutely butchered it.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Cloud Atlas is highly regarded as one of the best novels written within the past 12 years (see The Millions : #3: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell). Do yourself a favor and read the book before seeing the movie so that you won't be influenced by preconceived notions of the Wachowskis (who produced, not directed) or any of the actors involved. I admit that at times it can be a trying read, but it does reward its readers in its second half. Then, once you have read it go see the movie to determine how much they either lived up to the high expectations or absolutely butchered it.
Well said, although I probably will read reviews from my favorite film critics before venturing to the theater.

This is definitely a situation where it would be helpful to first read the book, and yes, Cloud Atlas is not for those with short attention spans, but very rewarding.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
Default Looks...

Very dramatic and fantastical. Nice to see something intriguing and different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies