Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM

696 posts, read 1,304,001 times

Advertisements

What's the point of ruining the movie by reading the story first? I have not read the book and I refuse to do so, I want to go to the theater with zero knowledge of the movie. The trailer looks awesome !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,076,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
What's the point of ruining the movie by reading the story first? I have not read the book and I refuse to do so, I want to go to the theater with zero knowledge of the movie. The trailer looks awesome !
Whatever works for you.
I'm a habitual reader and usually (not always) have already read the book; in this particular case it would be helpful because the storyline is complicated.
On the other hand, I can see how you might want to just plunge in with no previous influence or preconceived notions.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM

I hear you, I like to read also but I have switched to reading non-fiction mostly in the last 5+ years. That being said, I will admit I do prefer not knowing the story beforehand just makes the movie all the more interesting for me, especially when watching for the first time.

To give an example, I haven't read any of the "The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo" series books. But I did watch the original/Swedish version of the movies and absolutely loved them. But then I went to watch the Hollywood version (which was nicely done I will admit, for the most part!) and I fell asleep ... in a few minutes, just because I knew what was going to happen it did not interest me enough to sit through it !!

Cloud Atlas looks captivating and I am already looking forward to it. Thanks for bringing the trailer to attenion !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Whatever works for you.
I'm a habitual reader and usually (not always) have already read the book; in this particular case it would be helpful because the storyline is complicated.
On the other hand, I can see how you might want to just plunge in with no previous influence or preconceived notions.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM

668 posts, read 996,311 times
I agree, to each their own; but - do you not listen to a song on the radio because you already know all the words? Are you content to hear someone's description of the time they got to see the Mona Lisa or would you rather see it for yourself? Reading the book allows you to form your own interpretation of the story, while watching the movie will only allow you to form an interpretation of someone else's interpretation. That's not to say such an interpretation is inherently a good or bad thing, but it can be judged and appreciated separately from the original.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Don't know about others, but I do not listen to songs "to know" the words alone, it is because of the emotion that the combined efforts of the words, melody, voice etc. evokes in me, which is why I listen to same songs again and again, speaking of which, I also like to watch some movies repeatedly. Much different from watching a movie for the first time imho. Some people just don't like knowing the story before watching a movie for the first time, that is all, it's a personal preference thing, nothing else. Very different scenario from the examples you gave, in fact, you seem to be missing the point altogether! Watching a movie based on a book without reading the book prior to that is much different from hearing somebody explain the Mona Lisa to you, what a completely out of context example !!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM

668 posts, read 996,311 times
Quote:
Some people just don't like knowing the story before watching a movie for the first time, that is all, it's a personal preference thing, nothing else.
And I have no problem like that. Like I said - to each their own. Typically I have no preference. I was just advocating that Cloud Atlas is a special case and warrants a first hand experience.

Quote:
in fact, you seem to be missing the point altogether! Watching a movie based on a book without reading the book prior to that is much different from hearing somebody explain the Mona Lisa to you, what a completely out of context example !!
I disagree. It's just that in this case the novel takes the place of the painting and the director's film takes place of your friend's story. In both cases you're getting someone else's take on the original art. Case in point - there is an entire generation of Lord of the Rings fans out there who have never heard of Tom Bombadil. Why? Because Peter Jackson didn't think they needed to know.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:55 PM

^ I see movie as a fascinating medium on its own that should not be seen as a seconadary/inferior medium as hearing somebody describe art. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on the last point .

That being said, reading is a fantastic hobby, I grew up reading lots of fiction/sci-fi/fairly tale etc. all my life and I am very thankful to my elders for instilling that habit in me and I plan to pass it on to my younglings !

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies