Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,146,486 times

Advertisements

From Dusk till dawn.

All the main characters were thugs. Movie was crazy and Salma Hayek could defrost Alaska in that film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Uhm how about before she went into a coma? She was one of the worlds deadliest assassins, just killing people for money. She certainly had no remorse when she killed people in the movies either. I mean she killed dozens of people and to her it was like nothing. Yeah they had it coming but really she went on a killing spree, I don't consider that to be normal or very good.....

And she didn't know her daughter was alive. So if she really was a good person she would of just started a new normal positive life after she awoke. Instead she decided to go kill people who did her very wrong and seek revenge. I don't consider her a hero. She was just getting revenge. That's the premise of the movie revenge.
The story wasn't about the character she was before the coma. The whole point of the story was that upon finding she was pregnant, she completely turned her back on her old life. She had been a total villain, but was trying to change. Then Bill came in and destroyed all that.

In the first part of the story, it's still hard to call her a good character. She's out for revenge and nothing more. Although I have to point out that she doesn't kill a single innocent. Everyone she kills has it coming.

Then when she finds out her daughter is alive, she makes a genuine change. She's still out to kill Bill, but now she has something else to live for.

Is she a knight in shining armor? No. But I still wouldn't call her a villain. Not by the end of the movie. In fact, throughout Volume 2, she is totally and completely a sympathetic heroine.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM

668 posts, read 995,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In the first part of the story, it's still hard to call her a good character. She's out for revenge and nothing more. Although I have to point out that she doesn't kill a single innocent. Everyone she kills has it coming.
I disagree. After all, the first person she goes after is Vernita Green, who has done exactly what she wanted to do - had a little girl and turned her life around. Does she empathize? Nope, she kills her in front of her little girl.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I disagree. After all, the first person she goes after is Vernita Green, who has done exactly what she wanted to do - had a little girl and turned her life around. Does she empathize? Nope, she kills her in front of her little girl.
But again: That was BEFORE she knew her daughter was still alive. Yeah, she was till pretty much a villain at that point and throughout Volume 1. That combined with the cartoonesque violence are the biggest reason I find Volume 2 are far superior film to Vol. 1.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Reservoir Dogs
I was thinking that film after reading the thread's title.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My other nomination is Das Boot. I just watched it for the first time the other day... I don't think I've ever found myself rooting for Nazis in a movie before!
There was only one Nazi in the submarine in Das Boot. The rest of the crew were simply members of the Kriegsmarine.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,267,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Apocalypse Now

Chef, Lance, Clean, and the boat's skipper weren't good guys?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,322,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But again: That was BEFORE she knew her daughter was still alive. Yeah, she was till pretty much a villain at that point and throughout Volume 1. That combined with the cartoonesque violence are the biggest reason I find Volume 2 are far superior film to Vol. 1.
You act like she knew her daughter was alive for most of Vol. 2. She didn't find out until towards the end. So basically you are saying that 85% of the time in the two movies combined she was a villain, but maybe 15 % of the time and at the END she becomes a good guy?

I dunno killing your daughter's father while she is sleeping literally a few rooms away is pretty brutal and nasty. Especiall when you see your daughter loves her father very much. Not saying Bill didn't have it coming, but the bride didn't seem to care, and really was only seeking revenge.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,227,866 times
The Killing (1956). A very early Kubrick effort that is considered a film noir classic by many fans of that genre.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,645,646 times
Definitely Kill Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies