Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,319,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm not against remakes, but I think a new version needs to have something truly new about it. Why remake a Western if all you're doing is changing the cast?
I agree. The TBS remake of "High Noon" starring Tom Skerrit is a perfect example. I always thought a contemprary remake of this film in an urban setting could be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM

26,269 posts, read 49,177,773 times
IMO westerns have been done to death, and were always rather formulaic (bad guys do bad things, good guys come in to win the big shoot-out scene and ride off with the babes). These days, you can have a shoot out in any major city or Mexican border town. Not pretty stuff, and it's on your local TV news daily.

Westerns were popular when people in the large eastern population centers along the east coast didn't have the money to travel and see the "west" the way we do now. The interstate highway system and jet travel made it easy to see the West. Once you see these vast, arid, wide open spaces out here, the romantic aspect of "far away places" goes away and the reality sinks in that it's just a HUGE hot dry place where it's hard to make a living and a long way to big cities and all they have to offer.

IMO it's also a generational thing. My father was born in 1905, when much of "the west" was still "the west." Dad died in 1986 and right to the end he was always a fan of the old west and liked reading western-oriented "pulp magazines" with names like "True West" or "Wild West" or "Old West" and a few Zane Grey stories as well. Dad was brought up when the west was hard to get to, like 3 days by train. The emerging Hollywood industry found it easy to set up and film one "oater" after another to please this wanderlust and fascination with an era that was fast disappearing.

These days, I like films about real people who've conquered modern issues and troubles; cattle rustling ain't what it used to be.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM

743 posts, read 2,072,343 times
Two words: "box office". Westerns ain't the big moneymakers they were before. Being that the general public today are conditioned towards recycled garbage from Hollywood, there isn't a big demand for Westerns. They are still being made, but in very small numbers.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,597,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO westerns have been done to death, and were always rather formulaic (bad guys do bad things, good guys come in to win the big shoot-out scene and ride off with the babes). These days, you can have a shoot out in any major city or Mexican border town. Not pretty stuff, and it's on your local TV news daily.

Westerns were popular when people in the large eastern population centers along the east coast didn't have the money to travel and see the "west" the way we do now. The interstate highway system and jet travel made it easy to see the West. Once you see these vast, arid, wide open spaces out here, the romantic aspect of "far away places" goes away and the reality sinks in that it's just a HUGE hot dry place where it's hard to make a living and a long way to big cities and all they have to offer.

IMO it's also a generational thing. My father was born in 1905, when much of "the west" was still "the west." Dad died in 1986 and right to the end he was always a fan of the old west and liked reading western-oriented "pulp magazines" with names like "True West" or "Wild West" or "Old West" and a few Zane Grey stories as well. Dad was brought up when the west was hard to get to, like 3 days by train. The emerging Hollywood industry found it easy to set up and film one "oater" after another to please this wanderlust and fascination with an era that was fast disappearing.

These days, I like films about real people who've conquered modern issues and troubles; cattle rustling ain't what it used to be.
Lots of other subjects have also been done to death too. I'd also say vampire movies are not too relevant to everyday life,but they are made.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,009,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Westerns are a product of Hollywood. Hollywood is run by liberals. There were no gays in the wild west. Hence, no westerns.

And if they included American Indians, they wouldn't be politically correct, unless as a storyline of a candidate for Senate, of course.
You're really making this political?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM

29,228 posts, read 22,455,967 times
It's possible that Westerns could become very popular again. Audiences, I think, are growing tired of the high-concept movies that are loaded with digital effects and action but are sometimes very short on relatable characters and have weak plots.

Good Westerns have always had good characters thrown into life-changing situations and gripping plots. Special effects don't have to cost millions to make them good, as the great American landscape is still there. And these days, as an Idahoan, I'm seeing a lot of yearning from folks who want a Little Cabin Home In The West again.

Westerns have always reflected the mood of their times. Our present is a lot like the early 50's, when there was a lot of civic tension and a lot of worrying over the future, and some of the best Western dramas were done in the 50's. I think re-makes of High Noon, The Oxbow Incident, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and others could find a new audience, and some could be done even better these days. The recent re-make of 3:10 To Yuma was better, I thought, than the original in all respects.

The times are also good for westerns that explore the turn of the 20th century right now. This period wasn't covered during the heyday of the genre very much, but there were many parts of the west that were still wild even after it had been settled. Movies like Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, The Wild Bunch and Legends of the Fall were all framed in this time period and were big hits.

Tom Hanks would be excellent in the Jimmy Stewart role in Liberty Valance. Hanks is a lot like Stewart. While Jimmy Stewart came back from World War II a changed man, and his first post-war roles showed him as tougher and less good natured than his roles before the war, time mellowed him, and by the end of his career he was much the same as when he was a young man. Neither Hanks nor Stewart could ever play a villain convincingly, but Hanks proved he could do serious drama in Saving Private Ryan, and those qualities he displayed would work very well in a Western.

Actors like Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, Ryan Gosling, and some of the young guys all could do well. Pitt and Crowe are both good riders and look very natural in their westerns, and the western is a good way to keep from being typecast.

Mike From Back East's comments are true enough- far too many Westerns followed the stereotype, and indeed, the genre became beaten to death, especially during their immense popularity on TV. But the essentials of a good story haven't changed at all; people still love to watch other people up on the big screen, and a good screenplay can come from any time period and apply to our modern sensibilities just as much as any other time period. I think that good screenwriters are avoiding clichés of all kinds now, and the Western still offers a lot of emotional territory to be mined.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,597,038 times
Another western worth remaking,The Ballad of Cable Hogue(1970). Starred Jason Robards,with supporting roles from Stella Stevens,RG Armstrong,who was in many,many westerns,Strother Martin,the consumate character actor,and Gene Evans,another great character actor.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,236,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I grew up on western tv series and movies. The 'indians' were always the savage baddies. The first film I saw that made me think differently was 'Soldier Blue' shortly followed by 'Little Big Man'.
Long before those two films was "Broken Arrow" (1950), which presented a more positive portrayal of the Apaches. James Stewart and Jeff Chandler starred, with a good supporting cast. Some historical inaccuracies and added Hollywood sub-plots, but based on a true story and considered a bit groundbreaking at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies