Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Actors- no idea, but how about Leonardo Di Caprio, Will Smith, or Tom Hanks?

They would be good.
Some popular actors have a couple of Westerns under their belts. Brad Pitt starred in the Assassination of Jesse James and Legends of the Fall. Jeff Bridges has been in a bunch of Westerns, and Josh Brolin starred in No Country For Old Men (a modern Western) and in True Grit.

Russel Crowe has been in a couple, and he was great in 3:10 To Yuma, as has his co-star in 3:10, Christian Bale. Viggo Mortenson starred in Appaloosa, and is a natural for Westerns.

Tommy Lee Jones has done a lot of Westerns lately: The Three Burials of Melquadies Estrada, No Country for Old Men, The Missing, and the best of all, Lonesome Dove.

There are a lot of great ladies who are also natural for Westerns.

I can see DiCaprio and Will Smith as Western stars, but not Tom Hanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,596,708 times
Even though he won an Oscar for it,True Grit is not one of my favorite Wayne films.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Even though he won an Oscar for it,True Grit is not one of my favorite Wayne films.
Wayne got the Oscar because he was overdue for one. The Academy does this once in a while.
I agree- though True Grit was the best flick Wayne had done for a long time, he was much better in several that followed in the 70's. I thought The Cowboys and The Shootist were both better, but True Grit was the first where Wayne played an aging man past his prime. It paved the way for the remainder of his career. It also allowed Wayne to be a softer, more thoughtful person in those later movies.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wayne got the Oscar because he was overdue for one. The Academy does this once in a while.
I agree- though True Grit was the best flick Wayne had done for a long time, he was much better in several that followed in the 70's. I thought The Cowboys and The Shootist were both better, but True Grit was the first where Wayne played an aging man past his prime. It paved the way for the remainder of his career. It also allowed Wayne to be a softer, more thoughtful person in those later movies.

Yeah,the Cowboys might be my favorite Wayne film. Love the fight with Bruce Dern,who seemed to be in every western tv series and movie in the late 60s and early 70s. Also loved the Shootist.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,005,305 times
The remake of True Grit came out a year or so ago didn't it?

Westerns are making a comeback, but on cable TV. I just finished watching The Hatfields & The McCoys miniseries on the History channel, which I enjoyed immensely.

Cable TV movies are so much better than Hollywood films nowadays. That's too bad because I miss going to the theater and watching a good intelligent film with a civilized audience.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 AM

22,950 posts, read 28,350,952 times
Even though I'm not a huge John Wayne fan, even I admit that The Shootist is a fantastic movie.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 AM

I think the Sam Peckinpah westerns if made today would be succesful.
Likewise for some of the Sergio Leone Spaghetti westerns.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,697,614 times
I see westerns coming out every month. They may not be high profile or "A" movies but they do come out

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM

28,133 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Yeah,the Cowboys might be my favorite Wayne film. Love the fight with Bruce Dern,who seemed to be in every western tv series and movie in the late 60s and early 70s. Also loved the Shootist.
I am SO not into westerns, but I loved this movie! I always love it when the bad guys get it in the end, and this movie was priceless in that regard.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM

8,351 posts, read 13,499,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I can see DiCaprio and Will Smith as Western stars, but not Tom Hanks.
As someone mentioned, Will was in Wild Wild West which was not a real western to be honest. Leo was in The Quick and the Dead which was more serious though still a fun, over the top Western.

I might be interested in a well made remake of Westworld.

I dunno about Tom Hanks, he might actually pull it off if you put a cowboy hat on him along with one of them mean mustaches like the one Kurt Russell had in Tombstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies