Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,195,221 times

Advertisements

..... and not just by PIXAR standards:

Cars 2 - Rotten Tomatoes

Typically anything PIXAR makes is a 'pretty good' movie at worst, but this one's not looking too good. Hopefully this will be one of those rare times when I don't agree with the majority concensus on RT, but it's not looking good.

I'm not going to say I saw this coming, but I've been nervous about this movie since seeing sneak previews months ago. It just doesn't look to have the heart that the original (and most other PIXAR films) have. I wondered how they would handle Paul Newman's passing, but I figured if anyone could make it work, PIXAR could.

A sequel just for sequel's sake. That's just too bad.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,020,902 times
The first Cars was, in my opinion, the weakest of the Pixar films, so when a sequel was announced, I had already decided that this would be the first Pixar movie I would not see in a theater. The Monsters Inc sequel (um, prequel?) is the one I'd rather see.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,195,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
The first Cars was, in my opinion, the weakest of the Pixar films, so when a sequel was announced, I had already decided that this would be the first Pixar movie I would not see in a theater.
Based on this RT Total Recall, it looks like you're not the only one who thinks the original wasn't that great:

ROTTEN TOMATOES: Total Recall: Pixar Movies

Kinda odd. Maybe it's because I'm a car guy, but I LOVED the first one and could definitely point to a few other PIXAR movies I was only 'meh' about.

Talked to a co-worker who got to see an advanced screening last night. He's a fellow car guy and said while there are some cool things in there for the gearheads, it really was disappointing. That's too bad.

Mike

Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,007,332 times
Ive seen the firs Cars movie a number of times because the 3 year old always wants to see it. It was a very very good movie. This sequel really looks awful. Going the "spy" route is probably what is going to ruin this movie. Should have gone the "Japan Drifting" race scene instead and dealt more with that instead of some espionage/james bond thriller junk.

Looks horrible.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 PM

156 posts, read 289,281 times
Took my daughter to the drive-in theater to see it last night; definetely not one of Pixar's best, but wasn't too bad. The movie got a few laughs from me, the kiddo and the rest of the audience

Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,214,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ive seen the firs Cars movie a number of times because the 3 year old always wants to see it. It was a very very good movie. This sequel really looks awful. Going the "spy" route is probably what is going to ruin this movie. Should have gone the "Japan Drifting" race scene instead and dealt more with that instead of some espionage/james bond thriller junk.

Looks horrible.
My three year old nephew liked the first one a lot. I don't see how spoofing James Bond films ala Austin Powers is going to appeal to young children. Reminds me of the live-action Flintstones which was unfunny and had an adult plot with affairs and embezzlement.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,366,615 times
My husband and I took our 6 year old to it.

Here's my issue with critics, they are slamming this movie because it focus's on Mater. HOWEVER to most children Mater is by far the most appealing character in the Cars series. He's funny and light hearted and while he's not as flashy as Lightning McQueen he's more fun than Lightning McQueen.

The movie was nothing like a James Bond or Austin Powers spoof, not even close. It was still original and the spy plot was really only a small part of everything that was going on.

We loved this movie, but we also love Mater. The only awkward thing for us is that we live in a town where oil is everyone's bread and butter and the movie was not to nice towards "big oil".

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,672,052 times
Once again, a good reason to not listen to the critics. The opening short featuring the Toy Story cast was just down-right hilarious. The animation was, again, top-notch, and I even enjoyed the storyline. The movie theater said that it had been selling out all weekend.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,017,250 times
I went and saw it and while it isnt as witty or intelligent as some of their recent films, it was a solid movie. The Cars franchise is more geared towards children than their other movies are so you arent going to get the emotional depth TS3 provided or the stunning non-verbal scenes of Wall-E. This was meant to be a more traditional animated movie and it worked. I was entertained.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM

656 posts, read 1,995,201 times
I took my 7 year old son to see Cars 2 yesterday. I wasn't expecting much because I thought the original was a bit boring. I really enjoyed Cars 2 and my son thought it was far better than the first one. I liked the interest placed more on Mater as this character had a much better story line that could be geared to kids. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and glad I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies