Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see Clash of the Titans? I didn't notice if it ever came to town. However "Release the Kraken!" seems to have taken on a life of its own. We seemed to see poor Liam Neeson over and over in the movie trailer on TV saying this well known line Among my friends this has become the go to phrase whenever anyone feigns annoyance (accompanied by a stern face and raised arm ) And it has spawned a host of web parodies.

Release the kraken jokes! -- surveying the coming onslaught of gags involving Liam Neeson's 'Clash of the Titans' catchphrase | MLive.com

MacGruber... Yet another 5 minute SNL sketch stretched painfully into a full length movie. It even got tiresome during Betty White's appearance on SNL when the one-joke sketch ran again and again and again. I didn't notice if this movie came to town or even opened yet Like other SNL sketch movie adaptations, did this one bomb? There was one sketch movie that worked, and that was Wayne's World.

What other recent flicks fell flat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
This is a movie they should of just left alone...I enjoyed the original far more than I did the re-make...
The re-make seemed like a rushed cheap production...the original seems more like a broadway play...it was easier to follow...and seemed more 'genuine'...

I was greatly disappointed...maybe if they had had the producers of the 'Lord of the Rings'...produce and direct this movie...maybe it would of been better...I don't know...I just know I felt let down...

Old 06-12-2010, 05:17 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
On remakes:

If you're going to remake something, then it needs to be the idea of improving it in some way. Jackson's King Kong, for example, not only utilized the latest special effects, but improved on the story in every way imaginable. Even though I love the original, Jackson's remake was superior in every way.

But there are some stories that you just don't touch, because they were perfect the first time.

Citizen Kane. What on earth could anyone possibly do to improve it? It was flawless the first time. There are lots of other films in this same vein: JAWS, To Kill A Mockingbird, STAR WARS, The Wizard of Oz, The Godfather, Psycho, Rocky, Serpico, Planet of the Apes, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai ... there's just no possible way to improve them. They were pitch perfect in their day, and they remain perfect today. Any attempt at a remake is just stupid.

For the Clash of the Titans remake (which I'll admit I haven't seen) there didn't seem to be much of a drive behind the remake other than special effects.

Hollywood's recent love of remakes seems motivated by only one thing: Hey, we own the rights. Let's hire a hack, save some money, and make a few quick bucks.

You know, it's really only a matter of time before we see Sanford & Son: The Movie.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Did anyone see Clash of the Titans? I didn't notice if it ever came to town. However "Release the Kraken!" seems to have taken on a life of its own. We seemed to see poor Liam Neeson over and over in the movie trailer on TV saying this well known line Among my friends this has become the go to phrase whenever anyone feigns annoyance (accompanied by a stern face and raised arm ) And it has spawned a host of web parodies.

Release the kraken jokes! -- surveying the coming onslaught of gags involving Liam Neeson's 'Clash of the Titans' catchphrase | MLive.com

MacGruber... Yet another 5 minute SNL sketch stretched painfully into a full length movie. It even got tiresome during Betty White's appearance on SNL when the one-joke sketch ran again and again and again. I didn't notice if this movie came to town or even opened yet Like other SNL sketch movie adaptations, did this one bomb? There was one sketch movie that worked, and that was Wayne's World.

What other recent flicks fell flat?
I heard that phrase as well. I think it's hilarious!!

It's a radio station here playing it!

Don't make me "release the kraken" on yo azz!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 AM

62 posts, read 120,802 times
I prefer the 1981 presentation of the story line. This one is terrible.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
and the original clash of the titans had boobies, always a plus

Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Who is going to rent these movies, let alone see them in a theater? Not anyone that I know. The do-over of The Wizard of Oz is sacrilegious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies