Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

68 Mil opening weekend.

Not too shabby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
The spouse and I went over the weekend and enjoyed it. It wasn't nearly as entertaining as the original, but it was still very good.

Then again, I didn't like other, more positively reviewed Pixar films like Up, Ratatouille, or Wall-E.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
I'm glad to hear all the reviews to the contrary. Perhaps I'll have to give this one a shot on our next rainy day.

Mike

Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
I think people have been spoiled by the not only good, but fantastic movies that Pixar has been churning out so when one is only good or pretty good, it doesnt meet expectations.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Once again, a good reason to not listen to the critics. The opening short featuring the Toy Story cast was just down-right hilarious. The animation was, again, top-notch, and I even enjoyed the storyline. The movie theater said that it had been selling out all weekend.
Saw it in 3D today and totally agree! I took my almost 4 year old grandson who laughed the whole time. All the other folks in the audience seemed to like it as well. Not sure why the critics would diss it. It was quite clever and entertaining for anyone of any age.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
Nothing like guns,explosions, scattered plot lines, and environmental propaganda when you just want to take your kids to a cartoon

This is the first sub par effort from Disney/Pixar.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Nothing like guns,explosions, scattered plot lines, and environmental propaganda when you just want to take your kids to a cartoon
Some of us have fond memories of Wiley E. Coyote and the Road Runner.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
68 Mil opening weekend.

Not too shabby.
considering the bad reviews from critics and viewers alike, it's unlikely it'll make a ton more. I would bet big bucks that attendance drops over 50% this weekend (wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 60%). the older crowd are going to see that other "car" movie this weekend, parents may wait until next weekend to send kids off to see Winnie the Pooh instead, and other people still may go for Kung Fu Panda 2 if they haven't seen it yet. it may struggle just to stay in the top 3 soon once Transformers and the last Harry Potter move rolls out, which would be pretty strange for a Pixar movie (they typically have longer staying power. It took almost a month for Toy story 3 to drop out of the top 3).

Cars was Pixar's first clunker (relative to their prior movies); Cars 2 is their second (not even relative to their prior movies, just overall). maybe now they'll drop the whole property and stay focus on that highly rumored Incredibles sequel

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
considering the bad reviews from critics and viewers alike, it's unlikely it'll make a ton more. I would bet big bucks that attendance drops over 50% this weekend (wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 60%). the older crowd are going to see that other "car" movie this weekend, parents may wait until next weekend to send kids off to see Winnie the Pooh instead, and other people still may go for Kung Fu Panda 2 if they haven't seen it yet. it may struggle just to stay in the top 3 soon once Transformers and the last Harry Potter move rolls out, which would be pretty strange for a Pixar movie (they typically have longer staying power. It took almost a month for Toy story 3 to drop out of the top 3).

Cars was Pixar's first clunker (relative to their prior movies); Cars 2 is their second (not even relative to their prior movies, just overall). maybe now they'll drop the whole property and stay focus on that highly rumored Incredibles sequel
You think that it's attendance is going to drop over one of the typically largest movie weekends of the summer?? Hmmm ok.

Well there are a few flaws with what you're suggesting. First, Winnie the Pooh is not attractive to any child over 5. Most kids have already seen Kung Fu Panda 2... it's not even showing in our local theaters anymore. Transformers is rated PG 13 so parents with younger children won't be taking their kids to that movie (if they're decent parents). Same goes for the HP movie, PG-13 and not exactly appropriate for younger children.

Cars is the only family friendly movie out this weekend for kids of all ages that is out in most theaters.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Some of us have fond memories of Wiley E. Coyote and the Road Runner.
That's just what I was thinking! Explosions, guns, politics, racial profiling... gotta love Loony Tunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies