Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times

Advertisements

I mean how could u not go see this movie? Even if u r just into X-men a little. My son loved it and he wants to go again to see it. I fell asleep about 3 times in there and the movie still had a long ways to go. I liked the story line though it was just a little long. I say see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
So, what is the conclusion? Worth the matinee admission ($8+)? Watch the online bootleg (crappy) copy from Russia? Wait for Netflix/Red DVD?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Movie is very well done, they spent their money well when they made it. Very impressive. I enjoyed it overall, but it didn't really draw me into the actual story.

Better than most blockbuster movies though

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
I just saw it too. It was surprisingly better than I expected. Overall decent acting and good action, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
A few flaws: Xavier had blue eyes when he was younger!
Very obvious and cheesy looking CGI at one scene in particular:
Spoiler
When the submarine at the end is rolling on the beach (pay attention to the palm trees! Yikes!)

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Great film, a rare action film nowadays worth its admission price. Michael Fassbender as Magneto was very exciting when he was on his own personal manhunt, he is an exciting lead. With the 1960s setting and his coldblooded dashing deportment, Erik really was a lot like the Sean Connery-era James Bond. The sibling-like relationship between Mystique/Raven and Charles/Professor X was sweet but they could have had a few more scenes to share. Kevin Bacon made a good snarky, dastardly man in Sebastian Shaw and the drama/action blend was really great. Probably better than X2, imo, and the best of the series. I hope they continue with a sequel to this film.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I have not seen it but here is an email from my friend who did. He is a huge comic book nerd

"Even though the line up is fubar, X-Men first class is really great. Fassbender as Magneto is incredible. Once the film starts it never let's up. Really want to see it again. Given what they had to work with (the confines ofthw previous Fox films) this is really good. Better then all the others. Even X2 which is pretty damn good. This is way better than Thor. "

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Meh. 3/5 stars. Pretty typical. Nothing special, but it wasn't too bad. It's worth a matinee price, I guess.

Good:
Tolerable acting. Believable, well-paced storyline. Fair special effects.

Bad:
Not a period piece AT ALL. Felt like it took place in 2011 with some 60's props thrown in for kicks. I think the problem was in the script.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Didn't care for it. 5/10. One thing that annoys me is period pieces where the producers don't even attempt top make it look authentic. 1962? Really? Those hair styles look nothing like 1962. C'mon make up/ hairstylists. You can do better than that.
Also repeating the "mutant and proud" mantra got to be a bit tedious and an obvious (and preachy) reference to present day social issues.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Loved it!!!! The acting, the story, the action, the cameos!! Brilliant!! And for me - James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were well worth my money and time (I saw the Midnight show).

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
SPOILER in my posts if you haven't seen it.

I really think it was a solid movie, but could have been SO much better.

First of all, out of all the X-Men films, this one seems to be the one that destroys and disrespects the history of these characters from both the comics and the cartoons the most. I mean it was a travesty to what they did to the histories of these characters. For instance, Shaw is the one who created Magneto's helmet? Mystique and Professor X where like brother and sister? I can name many others. Also, it doesn't match up with the other films as this is supposed to be a prequel.

For instance in X-Men 3 when they recruit Jean Grey, Prof X and Magneto are still running the school together and Prof X is walking and bald. By the end of first class Prof X is in a wheelchair, Magneto and him are no longer friends, still with a head full of hair and Jean apparently has never been thought of. If you are gonna make a prequel make it match up correctly.

Aside from that it was a very solid movie.

I think if they really wanted success, they should have scrapped the whole prequel crap and really rebooted it. Start a new trilogy with the original 5 (Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast and Jean Grey) with Professor X and Magneto recruiting them with I dunno some interesting plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies