Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 AM

126 posts, read 210,589 times

Advertisements

My wife often goes out for the day and I am pleased to have her enjoy the day with one or more of her friends. We are both retired now with an empty-nest and are on old-age pensions. When she gets home in the late afternoon or early evening I aim to have a meal ready so she can veg-out, as we say, in front of the TV for the evening. Her energy-levels are low by 7 p.m. and with about three hours to bed-time it’s all down-hill for her to the land of sleep.

At 8:30 a movie came on the title of which is the name of this prose-poem. I watched ten minutes of it before returning to my study where I usually spend the evening until after midnight. The same movie was repeated after midnight on another station and I watched another ten minutes of it. What follows below is a prose-poetic commentary on this movie and my reaction to it.-Ron Price with thanks to: 7Mate TV and 7Two TV, 10 and 11 April 2011 respectively.

In the past 100 years, 1900 to 2000,
our world underwent changes more
profound than any in its preceding
history, changes that are mostly little
understood by our present generation,1
and this movie explored this complex
issue in a way which you could say was
metaphorical: physical reality being thus.2

The movie, based on a comic book series
which began publishing the year I retired
from full-time teaching in 1999, came out
eight years ago, but I have been busy with a
new life, recreating myself as writer & editor,
publisher & poet, journalist & even scholar;
so this—the movie and comics was all news
to me until last night both before & after 12!

I did read about Alan Moore who created the
comic book series & his story was much more
interesting to me than the movie: thanks Alan!!!3

1 Century of Light, Foreword, The Universal House of Justice, Baha’i World Centre, 2001.
2 John Hatcher, “The Metaphorical Nature of Physical Reality,” Nov. 1977, Baha’i Studies, No.3.
3 For a detailed account of the comic book series and Alan Moore’s life go to Wikipedia.

Ron Price
11 April 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
I really wish I understood this post....

Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,036 times

YouTube - Sean Connery discusses women slapping

Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Belated Thanks Folks

Don't worry, plwhit, if you don't understand a piece of poetry. That is often the way with poetry. Just take in what you can and what you can't: "not to worry" as they say Downunder.-Ron

Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I really wish I understood this post....
phew, I was scared that it was just me and I blew a fuse in my head.

As an aside, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen really sucked. Seriously, Tom Sawyer? Seriously?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
phew, I was scared that it was just me and I blew a fuse in my head.

As an aside, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen really sucked. Seriously, Tom Sawyer? Seriously?
The graphic novel was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, the film adaptation seriously sucked. I've watched it 3 times now, hoping I was missing something, but nope, it still sucks.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,839 times
That movie was about as good as the first Hulk with Eric Bana. I remember that interview with Barbara Walters. Although I disagree with him I give him credit for standing by his beliefs. I think Barbara thought he was going to either sugarcoat his original response, or change his tune altogether. She seemed surprised when he said he did not change his opinion.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Default Thread Still Going

Interesting to see this thread still going after all this time. Funny how often it takes two or three views of a film to confirm, to revise or to obtain a different take or the same take on its content. I won't say anything more about this film. I think we have exhausted the commentary after nearly a year.

I'll add a piece below in this thread, though, about couch potatoes and some changes in the last 4 billion or so years. Perhaps this piece will inject a new life into this thread, perhaps. Wishing you all well in 2012 from Downunder.-Ron in Tasmania
--------------------------
THE WEST WING AND THE COUCH-POTATO

The NBC network’s popular TV serial drama The West Wing was broadcast in America from 22 September 1999 to 14 May 2006. In that same week of September, when the show began in the USA, I began my life in a new town near the Bass Strait, an extension of the Great Southern Ocean. I had just taken a sea-change and retired after a forty-year working life: 1959 to 1999. In total, The West Wing won three Golden Globe Awards and 26 Emmy Awards, including the award for Outstanding Drama Series, which it won four consecutive times from 2000 through 2003.-Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 24 January 2012.

I don’t think I saw one complete
episode of all the 150+ that came
onto the TV in those first years of
my sea-change from the job-world.

I was fully-settled into my life by the
river’s edge in this oldest town on this
oldest continent1 when The West Wing
hit my TV screen with its rave reviews.

It was not that I did not like this portrayal
of the daily work of the USA government,
its President, First Lady, & the President's
senior staff & advisers who made the cast.
It was, rather, that I don’t tend to watch
TV until midnight when my computer is
shut-down. My wife and son think it best
for me to have a quiet-ending to my day,
to shut-down my brain with some alpha-
waves,2 to ensure I get to sleep at a decent
hour and have as normal a life-narrative as
possible in retirement, in life’s evening-time.3

I was happy to have my son adjust the setting
on my computer so it turns-off automatically
at midnight so that I can turn into a zombie4
and enjoy my last hour as a couch-potato.

1 I live in George Town, the oldest in Australia. Two older towns are now cities, whereas George Town is still a town of about 7000 people. The oldest continental crustal rocks on Earth have ages in the range from about 3.7 to 4.28 billion years. Of these oldest rocks, the very oldest have been found in the Narryer Gneiss Terrane in Western Australia. Some zircon, a mineral belonging to the group of nesosilicates, has the chemical name zirconium silicate with the corresponding chemical formula is ZrSiO4. It has been found in this Narryer Gneiss Terrane of WA. Its age is as great as 4.3 billion years.

2 While watching television, the brain appears to slow to a halt, registering low alpha wave readings on the EEG. This is caused by the radiant light produced by cathode ray technology. Liquid crystal display TVs seem to emit less alpha-waves. Even if one is reading text on a television screen the brain registers low levels of activity. Once again, regardless of the content being presented, television essentially turns off your nervous system.

Alpha waves are brainwaves between 8 to 12 HZ. and are commonly associated with relaxed meditative states as well as brain states associated with suggestibility. Researchers have said that watching television is similar to staring at a blank wall for several hours. Television: Opiate of the Masses

3 I have an eight hour day devoted to reading and writing, editing and research, scholarship and journalistic activity in these years of my retirement. By midnight I need to shut my intellectual labours down to prepare for sleep and TV has proved to be a useful tool in this way. I also take 2 medications for my bipolar disorder and they have, in combination, a soporific affect resulting in my sleeping for 6 hours at night and 2 in the day out of 11 in bed on average every day.

4 A zombie is a term often used figuratively and applied to a hypnotized person bereft of consciousness and self-awareness, yet ambulant and able to respond to surrounding stimuli.

Ron Price
24 January 2012
Updated for City-Data Forum
On: 20/1/'12

Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The graphic novel was actually pretty good. Unfortunately, the film adaptation seriously sucked. I've watched it 3 times now, hoping I was missing something, but nope, it still sucks.
I think so too. Normally I LOVE anything steampunk, but LOEG (even the acronym sucks ) was true movie garbage.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
That movie was about as good as the first Hulk with Eric Bana.
Nah. HULK, despite its many flaws, was a far better film. LoEG was a complete train wreck of a movie with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Easily the worst movie that came out that year.

Connery famously turned down The Lord of the Rings, because he said, "I didn't understand it." After LotR was a monster hit, he really regretted that decision. So when the filmmakers showed him LoEG, he didn't understand it either, but took it anyway. Big mistake.

All Connery had to do was look at Peter Jackson's resume vs. Norrington's. That would have told him all he needed to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies