Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:09 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Day After Tomorrow is probably my favorite disaster movie. I like all of it, from beginning to end.

Other faves are:
2012 -- But only the first 3/4, really. The last 1/4 doesn't much appeal to me. But I like the disaster scenes, even if it is obvious in a lot of places that they are faker than fake.
Deep Impact -- Armageddon was probably the more popular of the two asteroid movies, but I liked Deep Impact better.
Volcano - Bad and cheesy, I suppose, but I liked it. Liked it better than Dante's Peak, which came out at about the same time.

I don't really think of Independence Day as being a disaster movie, even though the aliens unleash massive destruction.
Dean & Roland said that ID4 was meant to be a throwback to disaster movies of yore when it came out.

I would argue that Armageddon is not a disaster movie. It was more of a straightforward action flick. It didn't follow the storylines of anyone not involved with planning and executing the asteroid destruction. It's like what The Towering Inferno would be if it only focused on the fire dept. fighting the fire.

I like the really old cheesy ones like Earthquake, The Posideon Adventure, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Threads-A film about nuclear war and the long-lasting devasting consequences.
I'd like to get that one, but it's only available in nonUS format - maybe when I get the all regions dvd player that's on my wish list LOL

Old 08-31-2010, 06:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'd like to get that one, but it's only available in nonUS format - maybe when I get the all regions dvd player that's on my wish list LOL
It's available on Youtube in it's entirety. It's the only place I've been able to find it.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
It's available on Youtube in it's entirety. It's the only place I've been able to find it.
Unfortunately I'm stuck with a sucky net connection at present and streaming is nigh near impossible...........but I'll keep it in mind for later - thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Day After Tomorrow I liked.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Default Best disaster movie?

It's gotta be the Poseidon Adventure. The origional, not the crap remake.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM

891 posts, read 2,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Towering Inferno. It doesn't get better than Steve McQueen and Paul Newman in the same movie.

Without question the best disaster movie.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Annika, just wanted to update to say it appears I was able to stream all 12 parts of Threads on youtube with only a couple of "buffering" pauses..I started watching part 1 and I was still in front of my pc at 4 am watching the ending..........sigh

I have to say though that it comes across as more "real" somehow than being what I think of as a "disaster movie" - it was certainly thought provoking and chilling. I'd still love to be able to have it as a dvd.

Thanks again for the info

Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
The Day After Tomorrow
2012- I only liked the disaster scenes. The california earthquake was my favorite disaster scene because I live there lol

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
My favorite slow disaster movie is "Testament" about the effect of nuclear fallout on a small town and one family in particular. While you never see the blast and while you never see what's happening outside of the town, you are aware of the bigger impact on the country, as people in the town slowly get sick and die off after you get attached to the characters and they try to live life as normally as possible. It's probably the saddest movie I've ever seen.

Testament (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most wildly popular disaster movie in my day was "The Day After" a two night 1983 TV movie about a nuclear attack - the story takes place in Kansas.

The Day After - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies