Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,497,731 times

Advertisements

I just found my Spouse with 18+ riding experience a Custom HD. More about the bike later...anyways he paid cash for it and it is sitting in the garage because
he had a Motorcycle license for CA but let it expire so now he needs the permit.

My question is, when he goes to register the bike is insurance required then?

Should he go for the permit now or pay to go to a fancy school but they require insurance to have him enroll but waives the permit...I am really confused and he is so happy but we want to make sure we can do this right.

I did search DMV but did not find anything I am asking here, except the practice tests and permit info. Is his ins going to be real high because he let his M endorsement expire?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,229,492 times
i believe the proper steps would be in this order:

1) insure the bike. they should let you insure it even without him having a permit or license. i can't imagine you'd be the first person they'd have that bought the bike first.
2) get a permit and register the bike. he can get both done at the DMV at once. the test is a written one and should be pretty easy with his amount of riding experience.
3) call the insurance company back and tell them he now has his permit.
4) ride the bike

of course, getting the license would fall anytime after getting the permit. he'll want to do that anyway. IIRC, in CA only having a permit means you cannot ride with a passenger, at night, or on the freeway, but I may have that wrong. also, having the license should mean lower insurance premiums, though who knows if that's true with all the voodoo magic that goes into calculating those things. i know taking the MSC will usually get you a discount, though, and it's never a bad idea to take it anyway. also, passing the MSC will bypass the riding portion of the exam needed for his license, though i'm sure you already knew that.

slight rant, but i always find it so odd that states handle motorcycle licenses the way they do. you can go take a written exam and be riding that afternoon without anyone ever evaluating your riding skills. yet if you were to have completed the MSC and thus fulfilled the riding portion of your license exam but had not gotten your permit, you can't ride. weird, isn't it? seems like it should be the other way around.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 04-02-2010 at 05:53 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,110,820 times
Too much temptation. He needs to sign up for the Advanced MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course. Things have changed since the old days.

He will get a refresher, maybe learn something, get a break on insurance, and get his drivers license endorsed for motorcycles with out a DMV riding test, because he will demonstrate he can ride at msf.

Most definately don't get him signed up for the begginers test, since he has 18 years. Cal may have intermediate courses, but some states only have begginers and advanced.

MSF is on line

Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,964,567 times
I took the MSF class simply because the DMV's riding test (needed to get the M1 endorsement in Cali) was designed by someone who's never been on a bike in their life. I didn't take the MSF class to learn how to be a good rider, as parking lot skills were not in my interest. I also took the class prior to having my actual bike and therefore no insurance for said bike. And I lived in Cali at the time.

Look up an MSF class near you. Take the basic class, this gives you a piece of paper you take to the DMV and then you don't have to take the ridiculous riding test (I didn't have to take a written either), get your M1 endorsement and then go from there.

FTR... I've never had to show proof of insurance to the DMV for anything, car, truck or bike. But you do need registration to show insurance companies in order to get insured.

Edit to add: You may want to take the MSF class because certain insurance companies may give you a "safe rider" discount and many accesories stores give ya a buyers discount on gear when ya show 'em your MSF card.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Really, in Cal you can ride and not have insurance? That is only possible in NH of you have better than 10 grand in escrow. That isn't possible in Mass.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Really, in Cal you can ride and not have insurance?

Who ever said that?

You need insurance if you're going to ride... or drive. Does the DMV (or a legit MSF class) ask to see your proof of insurance? They've NEVER asked me. But if you get pulled over and you can't show proof of insurance and registration, you better be in real good shape 'cuz you get to walk home and have your bike/ car impounded.

Guess you could risk riding without insurance or even an endorsement... but why would you want to?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,497,731 times
Thanks for all of the advice, everybody!

The info on the bike is:
year 1990 make HD
body type RS
Class BE

It is custom and is black with a lot of chrome

Insurance company has been called today, we have State Farm for Home and 3 autos so we will get the multi line discount, maybe...
The school is called safe ride 4 u by PSC and it has an Advanced rider course.

Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 AM

canibeyou, I read that from this...."I also took the class prior to having my actual bike and therefore no insurance for said bike.".

I read it wrong. My take was that in Cal if you took the msf, maybe you didn't have to have ins.... It didn't make any sence to me, but not much in cal these days does make any sence to me.

I have been there on a bike and it didn't make any sence to me then either

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
canibeyou, I read that from this...."I also took the class prior to having my actual bike and therefore no insurance for said bike.".

I read it wrong. My take was that in Cal if you took the msf, maybe you didn't have to have ins.... It didn't make any sence to me, but not much in cal these days does make any sence to me.

I have been there on a bike and it didn't make any sence to me then either

I did take the MSF class without insurance. Rode around in a parking lot for 2 days and took a written test. I didn't have a bike at the time, therefore how could I have insurance on a bike... seeing as how I didn't even own one yet? No one at the MSF class asked for proof of insurance. That's not their job. Their job is to teach you parking lot skills. Heck, they only asked for a DL to show proof of identification. 90% of the people in my MSF class were taking the class to see if they even wanted to ride, and they didn't have bikes either. You really can't buy insurance on something you don't own yet.

So, yes, in Cali you can take the MSF class from a legit MSF company without insurance.

Heck... you don't have to even have your own helmet... but it's pretty gross if ya don't as you have to jam your head into nasty, sweaty, used helmets they have there. *barf*

Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM

14 posts, read 32,272 times
If I've been reading the situation correctly.....
I would:
1. Go to the DMV & take the written test & get the permit.
2. Then obtain the best Insurance rate I could find. Now he's legal to drive on the streets.
3. Now register the bike at the DMV. I don't believe the DMV requires P.O.I. to register, but does require that he carries P.O.I. when he rides.
4. Sign up for the MSF course. This will skip the need for the DMV driving test ( a real bear on a large bike for some), and make him elligible for a MSF discount for the insurance.
5. Enjoy the new ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles