Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,485,796 times

Advertisements

So today he got the insurance for the Harley paid with a credit card for the rest of this year! It was close to $200.00, and tomorrow or next day he will go to DMV to register and take his test for the permit.

Ins co did not even ask if he has a license either, so I guess it is because we have 2 cars plus 1 home insured through them with 0 claims and we both have 0 infractions.

Anyways, he had been good, not riding it much just in the cul de sac to practice turns, but he did say he went 100 mph today on our block, the motor is 1340 whatever that means, it is a big bike and weighs 633 lbs, but he has the experience, thankfully!

Now he wants me to take a Life Ins policy out on him for 1 million dollars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,990,176 times
1340 is cc's of engine displacement somewhere around 90 cubic inch, or 1 liter 340 cc's.

He won't get the msf insurance credit, too bad. MSF is the way to go and can be before you buy any bike.

Cuts out the DMV road test. That test is a pass fail test and if you fail it which is mostly at walking speed designed for Rebel like bikes, you get to make another appointment and pay again.

As I said he should sign up for the advanced courses. I don't care how old a guy is and how many years he rode. There is always something new to learn.

I know of guys in their late 70s who were race riders in the 30's and 40's, who still are 'at' learning new tricks.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Another vote for taking the MSF course on the bike they provide. You are pretty likely to drop the bike at least once in the class, better to drop their bike.

You can of course take the MSF course without having insurance on your own bike, since you don't need to ride your own bike. If you want to ride your own bike during the MSF course you might or might not need insurance.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks Guys,

My guy got his Ins and permit and he is ready to practice and next step is for him to get his license...

Thank again now he is legal.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Mitch this rider has 18 years riding as it is told. Maybe there was a long time between.

Taking the DMV test on a full sized bike should prove very interesting. I have no idea how Cal does this.

In NH you ride a short track making circles with the forks lock hrad both ways, starting and stopping at marks painted on the tarmack, and other pretty tricky things to do at slower than a walk.

Putting a foot down gets you bad points and putting a foot down 3 times send you home to try again at more expence.

Now down in Mass it was different. You supplied a car and a driver to chase you around and the DMV gives you a radion to hear with with only.

That works like sssssssssskk turn right here, sssssssssssssskk accerate and ssssssssssk ssssssssssssssssk eft ssssssssssssssk sto sssssskkkk you fail ssssskkk

jus sssssssk ull sssk over sssssssk

Not much fun.

MSF folks are in person and are teaching tips, explaining things. There is 3 courses.

bare bones I don't know nuthing, I can ride and have ridden 4,000 wobbly miles , and I want to ride like the motorcycle cops do.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 PM

He is going to take the class that waives the practical DMV test and he will take the written test for DMV. He will also use the Bikes provided by the class he signs up for (250 cc) so he can pass the test at the school that waives the DMV practical.

So, this is the 1st week he has his permit. he rode his bike 1 time to work on the freeway, and also 1 time today after work and he drove the car today. He will drive the bike to work on Sat and try to avoid the freeways on rush hour days. He told me it is not safe and he has not death wish either.

He grabbed it and laid on top of it while it was on the pavement, and it spun a few times and he ended up picking the bike back up and he rode it outta the wreck.

At least he has some experience.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 AM

14 posts, read 32,092 times
As an FYI, I believe the permit is not legal for freeway travel in CA.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Mugsy, Sorry I misread i guess. I really go after Ins Co discounts.. To me that's a big deal.

The fact that I live in NH about as far as you can get from Cali, I have no idea what law is there. I ride in that state about 18 days, so I still don't know what's what.

I didn't like the traffic a bit. Seems like everyone is out to kill or be killed.

Last summer I hit a jepp cherokee that hit a moose and rode the bike from the scene with my uninjured wife... I was very lucky. The error was that nothing stops like it does when it's a moose. No brake lights, just whamm stopped. I laid down 81.5 feet of rubber and hit the jeep just a touch. At that instant the moose rolled off the hood and the rear bumper locked the bike still standing. 98% of the damage was from pulling the bike out from under that bumper.

The price of a fender in paint is at a historical level! $532, and I am deciding just how bad I need a fender. I have the skills to fix it, but then the paint is a major part of that dough. I can paint the whole bike in something different for far less, but now is the season! I had the idea a fender in paint would be under $200.00 Oops!

This blasted bike refuses to speak to me and tell me what color(s) it wants to be..

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Yeah he knows it is not legal to ride with his permit on the highway here in Ca. He is an outlaw though. Anyways, he tells me if he keeps it at 70 and has his orange vest on the cops just assume he works for the military, which is not far from true...

But seriously, the CA car drivers here are A-Holes. Which is why he will decide whether to ride the bike or drive the truck to work.

So, next is to get the bike registered, I had to cash out some hours at work to cover that, DMV would not take a credit card!
Then he will go to the Basic school and then the Advanced one also.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM

I think in Cal if he looks mex, he doesn't need any regii he can tell the cops his name is Juantaride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles