Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM

18,500 posts, read 15,312,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Oh gawd... here we go with the multiple "people die in accident" type articles.

People die on bikes.

And while sleeping.

And while watching TV.

And while eating.

And while shopping.

And...

Thought this thread was more about, "Hey, riding season's started.. keep your eyes and wits focused and have fun!"

My bad.
Publicizing these accidents is not a bad thing. First, what is there to lose by making people aware? Nothing. And if just one driver sees this and pays more attention because of it, then it was worth showing. The driver says he was shuffling through his papers and not watching the road. I hope all those texters see all the lives they can ruin by taking their eyes off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,227,350 times
Let's face it, one's chances of being killed on a motorcycle in traffic are much higher per unit of time than while watching TV or sleeping. I appreciate every hint I can get to help me stay intact, and I've been riding since 1967.

Texting while driving is unconscionable. Period. Exclamation point!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM

78,718 posts, read 60,905,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Oh gawd... here we go with the multiple "people die in accident" type articles.

People die on bikes.

And while sleeping.

And while watching TV.

And while eating.

And while shopping.

And...

Thought this thread was more about, "Hey, riding season's started.. keep your eyes and wits focused and have fun!"

My bad.
If the typical guy in his 20-40's that you know is dying from eating, sleeping and watching TV then just buy them a supersport and put them out of their misery. Granted, they will likely outweight the bike and will thus slow it down a bit.

If you don't know someone with a couple gradeschoolers without a dad due to some moron smearing them down the highway while texting then you don't hang around many bikers.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,009,290 times
Well thar's Bold Riders, and thars Old Riders, but there is no Old Bold Riders..

There is a big ego problem with some people, not all make, all wanting to start out first riding on a 2big4U. Some of them live to learn it was too much, others die, and some do ok. It's hard to tell.

Most who die do not have a license endorsement. I belive facts will prove that to be true.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 PM

8,364 posts, read 13,510,803 times
People who are chatting on their cell or (omg) texting while driving is definitely abusing their driving 'privilege' imho and should be harshly punished (say $300 ticket and/or getting their license suspended for 3 months should do the trick). I really do not see those type of careless, stupid drivers any better than drunk drivers which I have zero tolerance for. Those texting/chatting people are a threat to every other driver not just MC riders, period!

I always say this, riding a motorcycle made me a better car driver.
I never give the benefit of the doubt to any car driver. I always assume they didn't / don't see me, which keeps me alert and ready for almost anything.
I utilize SEE (Scan Evaluate Execute) on every ride, especially in heavier/faster traffic with intersections.

I prefer to dodge and go through in between instead of slamming my brakes to a sudden stop. Easier to lose control/lock brakes in a sudden stop on a motorcycle. Also as someone mentioned, even if I stopped I do not want to worry about the person behind me stopping.

I dress for the possible crash/fall, not to look or feel cool (I look cool regardless ). If it is too hot to wear a glove/mesh jacket/shoes covering ankles/helmet then my MC stays in the garage, end of story).

I do NOT ride EVER after consuming alcohol (I hardly ever drink anyhow).
I also do NOT ride when I am emotionally not my usual self (sad, depressed, worried, angry or too excited).
I do not ride if I am physically too tired or lacking sleep.
Basically I use common sense even before getting on the bike to ride.

I ride year around cause I love riding, the feeling and joy it brings me is stronger than the fear of how dangerous MC riding is, etc.

If I still get killed one day while riding, tell the cop that it had to be the other a-holes fault and point them to this post!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:00 AM

18,500 posts, read 15,312,600 times
I use one of those headlight flashers, and I really notice a big difference in the way cars react to me from before I got it. Cars are much less likely to pull out in front of me now. The flashing light really gets their attention, and a lot of people think I am a cop, and who is going to cut off a cop? The only problem is when I am behind someone, they sometimes pull over to the side of the road because they think I am going to give them a ticket. LOL.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,009,290 times
A measly 300 hundred, maybe 1,300 would be more realisitic is these days of money for free. I see this sort of thing driving a truck where I can look down and see what's going on in some duffers lap on the interstate!

They have one hand on the phone the other texting and who knows where the third hand is!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
I just took the rider safety course through the NHDOT. I learned just what I have to practice. One thing is I do not like riding so slow the bike must be counter balanced. It just feels weird to turn right and shift weight to the left peg.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 AM

8,364 posts, read 13,510,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I just took the rider safety course through the NHDOT. I learned just what I have to practice. One thing is I do not like riding so slow the bike must be counter balanced. It just feels weird to turn right and shift weight to the left peg.
Assuming your bike is the right size/weight, this should not be too much of a problem as long as the bike is moving albeit really slow.

I'd suggest you find an empty parking lot type area where you can do cookies as long as you need to get used to making those slow turns.
If I am not mistaken the left turns are more of a hassle than the right (clockwise) turns.

Slow turns requires better throttle control and use of rear brakes. Rear brakes are less powerful than front ones making it easier to control your braking and also I believe when you apply the rear brakes it tends to make the bike go into upright position. So the control and combination of rear brakes and throttle control is the key.
My VMax has a lot of power/torque and a super sensitive throttle which makes it very hard for me to have the same turn control I had with my previous bikes. If I sneeze or get hick-ups, it turns into a rodeo on a iron horse!

As long as the bike and/or your feet are NOT down, you are doing good!

Remember, practice makes perfect!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
I start my rides with a parking lot session to develop the low speed skills. I'm getting better at the slow stuff but it is still work. I will keep this bike for a while but I can see us getting a big scooter when the left hand can no longer control this clutch.

This bike can accelerate fast enough to do high speed 70+ stops in a parking lot! Simply amazing for a 30 yr old street machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles