Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 PM

713 posts, read 3,440,097 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever go to the Riders Edge MSF? Planning on going there to get my training and am wondering what they exempt since I know that some facility's will exempt you from either the writing portion or driving portion at the DMV office. The next test date is in April for $159 so that does not seem to bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,186,288 times
that's not up to the school. contact your state's DMV office to see what the MSF gets you out of. in CA, the MSF gets you out of the riding portion, but you still have to take the written portion. same in NC.

slight rant, but one of the messed up things about the DMV in many states is that they will let you have a motorcycle riding permit just for taking the written. highly dangerous, IMO, as just about anyone can spend a bit of time studying the handbook and pass the written test while still knowing NOTHING about how to ride. yet, if you take the MSF (and thus fulfill the riding portion of the exam), that gets you absolutely nothing until you take the written portion. what bass ackwards logic, eh?

Mike

Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
I suggest any mid size used UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) around 400 to 600 cc twin cylinder (with balance shaft if possible) engine between 5 to 10 years old. Consider this to be the tool you use to learn how to safely ride a motorcycle. After you learn to ride you will know what kind of riding you prefer. Then buy a newer bike to fit that use.

I agree with not buying a 30 yr old bike like I just did. Wait until the need for a first childhood becomes overwhelming. I will need to learn a lot about riding big, heavy rocket ships. I bought a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1300. This is powered by an inline six cylinder engine that makes more power than several cars I have owned. This is going to be interesting.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,718,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I agree with not buying a 30 yr old bike like I just did. Wait until the need for a first childhood becomes overwhelming. I will need to learn a lot about riding big, heavy rocket ships. I bought a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1300. This is powered by an inline six cylinder engine that makes more power than several cars I have owned. This is going to be interesting.
Fwiw, you can but a 30 yr old 400 pound bike - plenty of them around.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,718,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
For brand I would like something not fast since I wan't it for the freedom and wind in my hair and am not the kind to worry about how long it takes to get from point a to point b. Something that can get me around town and even to other city's since I have family that live a few city's away. Looking for bikes under $5,000 if there are any.
I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the Suzuki SV650 is a great bike. It falls into the category of naked or touring - more upright riding position, so its more comfortable, but you still have your weight over the pegs, which offers control. Its a good bike to not only start on but ride for life as its big enough to grow with you, with decent highway power. For $5000 for a bike, you can easily get one less than 10 years old and have a nice modern bike. Another good option is a Honda 599, they are a bit harder to find, but very reliable. Just be sure and budget enough money for gear - helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants - you want to be covered head to toe (especially on the highway!).

Here's a good overview on the different types of bikes - http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm

Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 AM

I'm all about saving money and I found a used Rebel at a local dealer here in my town that has only 1,223 miles on it for only $2,899.00 Don't know if I should buy it now just so no one else does since I have to wait till April or just wait and get it.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,186,288 times
not sure of how great a price that is since i never shopped Rebels, but again, spend a lot of time sitiing on various bikes to see what fits you. you could very well be too big for a Rebel.

and beginner bikes like that tend to be a dime a dozen. if you miss out on that one, another will be along shortly.

Mike

Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM

The Honda Rebel was suggested to me since its good for beginners only having a 250cc engine. Max speed in the 80s and good for my height since i'm only 5'5''. Also to answer my own question about the waiver of the drivers portion of the test, in Texas taking the MSF will waiver you from having to take the drivers portion of the Class M license. Also a buying a brand new Honda Rebel cost $3,999 so I save about 1K.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,330,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Just managed to acquire my class c license and now am seeking on getting a class m license so I can ride a motorcycle. I am wondering what motorcycle brands or types are good for a first time rider about the age of 18?

Honda Rebel

Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,990,176 times
The Rebel could serve you very well. The best way to buy it is with a fist full of dollars. The way I live life this is the only way I buy bikes. I took a bank note once one one bike and I wrecked it, under insured no less, never again, That was a 1970 I think, Triumph Trident 750 triple.

With no bank note and the fist full of dollars if you play the cards right you might get the bike for less than that asking price. The main question for you is "What is the lowest price "OUT the DOOR" counting any taxes if there are any.

I live in NH, a no sales tax state, so I have no idea how that is where ever you are Tx right?

I had the idea Rider's Edge was harely based training, maybe not, so look into any discont on insurance. Ins bases things on stats. You male right ? -20 points... You live at home -20 points, you are 18 -2000 points, the Rebel is 250cc's +1 point

Ins is steep bucks... even for old geezers like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles