Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,110,820 times

Advertisements

inventor, more or less these laws are to gain funds for the so called public servants, by the so called public servants, otherwise called revenue.

I live in NH, with similar lid laws as you have. I own 3 lids and one skull. I decide which days and which lids I will wear and which days my skull needs none at all.

On my rural back roads I tend to see moose more than cars, and ride as if a moose is in the road just around the next bend.

Heading to silly cities I grab and wear a lid. Cagers have very poor driving habits as compared to some 30 plus if you like years ago.

I have been in 3 bike crashes, 2 in lid and one bare headed, and never lost a skull or a lid yet. I sure did break up other parts in one of the crashes, and broke a few bones in another, but the lidless crash I went with just a few pulled ribs and rode home the same evening.... That crash did involve a moose and a jeep. I hit the jeep over the moose on the bike, but I had time to decide which I would hit. LOL

There is that gene pool thing that some riders never get past. It happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,730,846 times
In my 35yrs of bike riding every mile was with a helmet on and other safety related gear,my rationale being if for some reason i come off the bike in an accident chances are high my head will contact something hard at a great rate of speed so i feel safer wearing a helmet than not wearing one,
i never understood why some one wouldnt wear a helmet but as long as my tax dollars arent paying for your medical bills if you have an accident that involves major head injury due to not wearing a helmet then its your choice,
I did the last 5 Daytona Bike Weeks, i'm easy to spot,i'm the only guy wearing a helmet

Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM

I guess maybe I have done the last 9 in a row or so Laconia Bike Weeks, wearing a lid down in that area. Out of there, say on Rt 113 where I might see 2 cars in one hour, I am willing to take my chances, if the weather is real nice.

Another point being that above speed x, lid or no lid may not save you and if it does in what condition will one be in?

To me there is a point where I would not want to be saved if I couldn't have a certain quaility of life still.

I guess if my bike is insured for a grand over it's worth, due to added on items like more red lights and other safety items, my injuries shouldn't cost tax payers a cent, and if it does, it's because of the Bleedinhearts that just won't leave dead, dead.

At 60 years I have already out lived a great number of Squids.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,364,465 times
I live in Tennessee and its a requirement and I work in Virginia (live near the state line) and its a law in Virginia as well. Its not a law in South Carolina though and when we go there to visit relatives, it looks so strange to see people not wearing them when riding their motorcycles. We were actually there over the weekend and left yesterday (Sunday) and passed at least 50 bikers and NOT ONE had on a helmet. I think last year I seen one person wearing a helmet in the state of South Carolina.

My cousin crashed bike in SC back in 2004. He was wearing a helmet and thank goodness he was. They said had he not had it on, he would have been killed instantly. He still suffered severe injuries and was in the hospital for months.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,364,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy15 View Post
No, I live in Georgia and wearing you helmet is as important is wearing your seatbelt. The nearest state to me that doesn't have a helmet law is Florida, but I'm sure they have more motorcycle crash injuries than the states that have the law.
South Carolina dont require it either, so you have at least two bordering states then that dont require it. Tennessee does require it... not sure about Alabama.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:20 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,730,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I guess maybe I have done the last 9 in a row or so Laconia Bike Weeks, wearing a lid down in that area. Out of there, say on Rt 113 where I might see 2 cars in one hour, I am willing to take my chances, if the weather is real nice.

Another point being that above speed x, lid or no lid may not save you and if it does in what condition will one be in?

To me there is a point where I would not want to be saved if I couldn't have a certain quaility of life still.

I guess if my bike is insured for a grand over it's worth, due to added on items like more red lights and other safety items, my injuries shouldn't cost tax payers a cent, and if it does, it's because of the Bleedinhearts that just won't leave dead, dead.

At 60 years I have already out lived a great number of Squids.
Thats a lot of convoluted logic Mac,why not just put a helmet on..

Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,545,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
South Carolina dont require it either, so you have at least two bordering states then that dont require it. Tennessee does require it... not sure about Alabama.
Helmets are required in Alabama...on both motorcycles and bicycles.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats a lot of convoluted logic Mac,why not just put a helmet on..
I own 3 lids and a skull and I decide which days or parts of days to wear one. Like today I started off with none and later in the day wore one, all on the same ride.

All any LAW does is give the cops (Revnewers) a chance to wack yer wallet. Now my wallet might benifit for havin a lid I guess too.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,082,142 times
Missouri has a helmet law. I don't find it personally intrusive, but I'm a lid wearer. Personally, I'd rather see the law go away and let people decide for themselves if they're going to wear a helmet or not. Typically you hear someone's loved one explaining how their son or daughter would still be alive had they been wearing a lid, and this is the reason states should have and enforce helmet laws...My thoughts though are "The state didn't force your child/friend/loved one to NOT wear a helmet. Helmets are sold in every state in the union and overseas alike, if your (whatever) didn't wear a helmet it's their fault, and no one else. Stop blaming government for providing you with the freedom of choice, and then choosing poorly"

Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Missouri has a helmet law. I don't find it personally intrusive, but I'm a lid wearer. Personally, I'd rather see the law go away and let people decide for themselves if they're going to wear a helmet or not. Typically you hear someone's loved one explaining how their son or daughter would still be alive had they been wearing a lid, and this is the reason states should have and enforce helmet laws...My thoughts though are "The state didn't force your child/friend/loved one to NOT wear a helmet. Helmets are sold in every state in the union and overseas alike, if your (whatever) didn't wear a helmet it's their fault, and no one else. Stop blaming government for providing you with the freedom of choice, and then choosing poorly"
I can buy that...... NH has a lid law for those 18 and under. My wife is 999% wearing her lid, but I decide by the minute. I prefer no law for me at 60, and if I were in some other state where the law says I must, still I might not... Live Free or Die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles