Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I got a chance to take it out a few days last week. There was a day where we had some pretty hard rain that washed away all the salt, and the next couple of days the temperature was in the upper 30s, which to me is pretty warm. Having the clutch on the right side was interesting. Between that, the suicide throttle, and having to use hand signals, it was like learning to ride all over again. At first, it kept stalling when I put it in gear, so I figured the clutch plates were suck. I rolled it down my driveway and popped it in gear. That fixed the problem, and the clutch has been fine ever since. I'll tell you though, it was A LOT of fun. the bike has some power to it, and it handles really well for a bike made 40 years ago. I do plan on riding it through the years. I was thinking about keeping it down to about 1000 miles per year or less, changing the oil every 3 months or so. I think that is reasonable. What do you think?
Cool. Clutch is on the right hand handlebar? I would beleive right hand shift and left hand rear brake (or more correctly, foot rather than hand) but I have never seen a bike that had the clutch lever on the right hand handlebar, at least not stock. Someone could have done that in the past, although as original as this bike looks I would doubt it's been modified much.

I think you got a *really* good buy on this bike. Really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Yeah, the clutch being on the right side would throw me for a loop. That's strange.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I bought a new naked Gold Wing in 1975(?). Not even a windshield. Actually it was a great bike but no personality. No vibration, no sound and according to my girlfriend at the time no excitement. I actually bought it with her in mind because I thought it would be more comfortable than riding on the P-Pad on my Sportster. After one week end she wanted to go on the Sportster the next trip. I sold the Gold Wing after just a few weeks.

GL2
She probably missed the vibration the most.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Cool. Clutch is on the right hand handlebar? I would beleive right hand shift and left hand rear brake (or more correctly, foot rather than hand) but I have never seen a bike that had the clutch lever on the right hand handlebar, at least not stock. Someone could have done that in the past, although as original as this bike looks I would doubt it's been modified much.

I think you got a *really* good buy on this bike. Really good.
Sorry for the confusion. I must have been in a rush when I posted. The clutch lever is on the LEFT. The foot shifter is on the RIGHT. The front brake (hand) is on the RIGHT. The rear brake (foot) is on the LEFT. And if you think it is confusing now, you should try riding the bike.

They were kind of inefficient back then. I also have 3 plugs to drain when I do an oil change, yet it is a dry clutch. Go figure???

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I must have been in a rush when I posted. The clutch lever is on the LEFT. The foot shifter is on the RIGHT. The front brake (hand) is on the RIGHT. The rear brake (foot) is on the LEFT. And if you think it is confusing now, you should try riding the bike.

They were kind of inefficient back then. I also have 3 plugs to drain when I do an oil change, yet it is a dry clutch. Go figure???
Yes it was a dry clutch on the 1970 XLCH but the clutch was sealed inside the hub. The chain from the front sprocket to the clutch hub ran in an oil bath. On mine I added extra plates to the clutch so it could handle all the extra horsepower of the 77 cubic inches. It was still a dry clutch but it had two extra plates in it, one metal and one of the fiber (asbestos?). The stock cases on the Ironhead Sportsters were prone to cracking with a stroker. The transmission could pull right out of the cases if you didn't beef them up. I remember adding an extra inch or so on the worm gear on the right hand side that pushes the internal clutch rod against the clutch stack to release the clutch. It made clutching a two finger operation. Once after I had suffered a sprained wrist in a dirt bike accident it made a huge difference. Damn every time I see your bike I want to get a basket job to build another stroker. With some of the ignition and fuel injection systems available now I'd bet you could build an old Ironhead into a high ten second street machine. I would probably lose my license and be the laughing stock of the geriatric crowd at the coffee shop LOL.

GL2

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM

136 posts, read 423,959 times
WOW,that is a rare find ! Enjoy !

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I just got my NJ "Historic" license plate in the mail. It adds a nice touch, I think, and now I dont have to get the bike inspected. I was surprised that they required pictures, and said that it had to be completely unmodified. I guess I passed.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Very nice indeed! It's a beauty, for sure.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 PM

18 posts, read 31,381 times
Wow , i wished i had it..... Enjoy it. And be safe riding...

Janey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles