Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times

Advertisements

AnesthesiaMD: I don't know how you got from motorcycles being a mix of components from different countries to "cheap Chinese crap" at Walmart, etc. I agree with much of what you said, but that seemed like a non sequitur.

For good or bad, the world has changed since the 1930s. When the components of nearly every bike come from several countries, protectionism doesn't make as much sense. I'd love for a manufacturer in the USA to make a bike that fits me, but none does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM

18,486 posts, read 15,293,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
AnesthesiaMD: I don't know how you got from motorcycles being a mix of components from different countries to "cheap Chinese crap" at Walmart, etc. I agree with much of what you said, but that seemed like a non sequitur.

For good or bad, the world has changed since the 1930s. When the components of nearly every bike come from several countries, protectionism doesn't make as much sense. I'd love for a manufacturer in the USA to make a bike that fits me, but none does.
Catman, I am just 1 person, doing what one person can do to keep the $$$ in America and keep and create jobs in America. Our grandparents had it right. You do what you want, but I will continue to buy American as much as I can. Even if I pay more for it, and even if it isn't exactly what I want. Logic dictates that the more people that do this, the better off America is, no matter what kind of smoke and mirrors and excuses that get created by the corporate structure. In this old thread we have already established that we went too far off topic, so I dont really want to get into it again much more here. Perhaps in the business forum or DM if you really want to explore it further, but to me it is simple and black and white.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 PM

AnesthesiaMD: You're certainly right about having drifted the thread! I'll just say that when all else is equal, I buy American, sometimes even if it isn't by a little. But there simply aren't enough American motorcycle manufacturers. Especially now that Buell is gone, which I regret. H-D and Victory both make the same general sort of bike.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
AnesthesiaMD: You're certainly right about having drifted the thread! I'll just say that when all else is equal, I buy American, sometimes even if it isn't by a little. But there simply aren't enough American motorcycle manufacturers. Especially now that Buell is gone, which I regret. H-D and Victory both make the same general sort of bike.
You are right. Even when Harley tries to make a different style bike, people dont buy them. It seems to me, if someone wanted to start an American sports bike company, the field would be wide open, but I think most people that are into sports bikes are young people, without such concerns of nationalism.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM

136 posts, read 424,434 times
The drive train is rubber mounted and you do not feel the vibrations as you ride!

Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 AM

301 posts, read 1,548,200 times
I have started to write a reply to this post several times.But have stopped because most would not care.As last reply they are rubber mounted.I'll bet the OP was just taking a jab at the company.Most nonHD riders do.Either you like them or hate them.One thing for sure you won.t find many post started by HD riders pocking or jabbing the metric bikes.I own 4 American V-twins and nothing else and no plans to change.29 years on a HD.They will put me to rest with my boots and colors on.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 PM

I'm a non-HD rider, but I have nothing against HDs. I've heard plenty of bad-mouthing both ways, and I dislike it. United we stand...Support the AMA (the mootorcycle association which protects our right to ride)!

Old 04-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm a non-HD rider, but I have nothing against HDs. I've heard plenty of bad-mouthing both ways, and I dislike it. United we stand...Support the AMA (the mootorcycle association which protects our right to ride)!
I am an HD rider and I agree with this statement 100%

Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 18,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny427 View Post
Mikeyyc: the new bikes that are not rubber mounted are smooth as any other bike on the market.
I heard the new ones come with ABS brakes. Is that true? I went to HD's website and I saw nothing on that. Can't remember where I saw or heard that.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,993,822 times
They don't callem paint shakers fer nuthin... But they are made that way, a very old way, but it is what HD riders want.. If these were not made that way then none would sell.

They come right out of that shake as soon as RPM goes up.

I banter around with the HD guys because i can... Mostly it is in just good fun. The wind is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles