Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,132 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Graphic Motorcycle accident....wear your helmet!

I travel I-10 in North Florida which is 70 mph ,and regularly see Riders going 100 mph and occasionally at an estimated 140 mph + for miles on end without letting up. The ones ive witnessed have all been Crotch-Rocket Bikes with guys who look to be in their 20's (when im able to make any sort of an identification) . Im simply appauled at their carelessness for their own life ; if i didnt know better, I would think they were on a Death-wish.

I posted the above YouTube Video as it is the most sad example that I have ever seen., and hope it will serve to make people value their life a little more. The next time i witness a Rider going that fast, I will feel compelled to report the incident to the Florida Highway Patrol. What else can be done to try to curtail this sort of insanity ??? I hear its really bad in California on the mountainsides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
IMO, yes. Motorcycles are cheap, in many states you don't actually need a license or to have taken any training, and they are seen as "cool", as evidenced by all the unprotected riders on top of SS bikes they can't handle and don't respect.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,173,845 times
Yes there are a lot of foolish, untrained, apparantly unaware of reallty, riders out there.
Some get on a motorcycle, ride it a couple miles and think they are experts. They don't take the safety classes, they don't think anything will ever happen to them.
I rode my first motocycle over 40 years ago. I still ride at almost 63 yrs old. I still learn new ways to be safer and help avoid getting into a dangerous situation. I still don't consider myself an expert.
I retake the training class every few years just to correct any bad habits I might have picked up.
I''m still around for several reasons. I've been lucky. I don't overide my skill level or the bikes limits, and I know what can happen if I get careless or complacent or take for granted any situations. I ride to enjoy and I ride carefull and am always trying not to put myself in more danger by doing something stupid.
A lot of these young show offs might not be able to ride 40 yrs due to their own self destructive riding habits and thinking they are immortal.
Riding is inherently dangerous enough without adding to it by being stupid.
Bad things can happen to even good, safe riders.
People shouldn't increase the chances of somehting bad happening by riding like an idiot.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
I've been riding since 1967, and I have to agree with Robhu. The bikes get faster every year, and the recent popularity of "stunt riding" causes some of the more imbecilic riders to ride down the highway on one wheel, etc. It makes me angry to see them because it is such bad public relations when they behave badly, as it reflects upon all motorcyclists in the minds of some.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 PM

190 posts, read 681,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
What else can be done to try to curtail this sort of insanity ???
They are curtailing it themselves. Natural selection will weed them out.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:09 PM

371 posts, read 938,701 times
I like to think they are thinning the stupid gene pool...Young guys on crotch rockets scare the crap out of drivers and when I go by on my nice touring bike driving normal I get the dirty looks!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
I like to think they are thinning the stupid gene pool...Young guys on crotch rockets scare the crap out of drivers and when I go by on my nice touring bike driving normal I get the dirty looks!!!
I dont think the general public is gullible enough to lump all Riders together ; I think they know that young Men in their 20's with a high powered Bike is a recipe for eventual disaster to themselves and possibly others. When im in my car and see a nice Bike with a responsible person on it who is obeying the road laws and showing courtesy, I have to tip my hat to them because I can see that the Bike doesnt own them .

Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 PM

392 posts, read 1,859,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Young guys on crotch rockets scare the crap out of drivers and when I go by on my nice touring bike driving normal I get the dirty looks!!!
I don't think they scare people anymore than the loud pipe crowd. I've seen more people jump when one of them decides they need to blip their throttle next to an open window than someone that flys by and is gone.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
There is some truth to that. Those who 'fly by and are gone' are not the same as those who shriek down the highway at night in packs at 110 mph or so, weaving in and out of traffic. I see it often. There is fast riding and then there is fast stupid riding.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,402,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I dont think the general public is gullible enough to lump all Riders together ; I think they know that young Men in their 20's with a high powered Bike is a recipe for eventual disaster to themselves and possibly others. When im in my car and see a nice Bike with a responsible person on it who is obeying the road laws and showing courtesy, I have to tip my hat to them because I can see that the Bike doesnt own them .
Actually, I think a good portion of the general public is that gullible. They do not make distinctions - all they see are bikers regardless of age, gender, or type of bike.

I see it where I work, these are high up managers in a government setting. When they find out I'm a 'biker' they are very surprised and shocked and treat me differently from then on. It is what it is. Best I can do is try to educate the masses, but there will be those that fear all bikers as an evil presence on the road regardless of the truth. And guys like the one in this video will make the news, while safe riders do not - so the gullible's vision is collaborated by the news - all riders are bad and ride dangerously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles