Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 08:06 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times

Advertisements

In Lafayette, Louisiana on Interstate 10 there was an accident involving two motorcycle riders. It was reported that one of the two may have been doing tricks (speed limit 70mph) when he lost control and was killed. His accident took out the other motorcycle putting that rider in the hospital in serious condition. If you can talk to young people looking to ride please tell them to not try tricks at all, but if they are going to try tricks, to not try them on public roads. I'm not an anti-motorcycle car guy. I just know motorcycles, like trucks and SUVs, are not for me. I respect motorcycles. If I were to get one it would one of the entry level starter bikes. I'm a conservative driver and I'm only 5 feet 5 inches tall. I'll stick with my midsize family sedan but please keep the tricks off the public roads.
One killed in I-10 accident | theadvertiser.com | The Advertiser
I know the above article doesn't mention any tricks but our local TV news and witnesses did mention tricks but didn't specify what kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times
I've been a motorcycle rider for 40 years, and I agree completely. When I'm out on a ride and I see another biker doing that, I think about the great PR motorcyclists are getting. It's just stupid. (My heroes are the motorcycle road racers.)

Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,042,247 times
Pretty much just the "natural selection" process . . and there is a long waiting list for organ donations.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Yeah, that selection process doesn't do us any favors either. When they snuff themselves, insurance goes up, and it's ammunition for the anti-motorcyclists.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,473,506 times
Actually, if it's got an engine, there's probably always gonna be somebody doin' something stupid with it!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,177,564 times
I'm a 62 yr old retired guy that still rides a motorcycle. We have some of those riders like you describe in the area. I've seen them personaly doing their tricks on the highway. Especialy when they get around another motorcycle rider that is riding in a responsible manner. Riders like me.
Then they are dumb enough to post their videos on You Tube or other places if a buddy happens to be using a camera to capture their daring rides. I don't think these peoples elevators go all the way to the top. First, they are crazy enough to do these tricks on public roads, second, they are dumb enough to post for all to see. Including LEO's.
The cops have used these videos occassionaly to identify and charge riders doing this crazy stuff. Some others have been identified at the hospital or morgue.
There are quite a few old motorcycle riders.
There aren't that many old, bold, motorcycle riders around. They don't last long enough to get old.
There is inherent danger even for safe, responsible riders. To compound the danger by being stupid is something I have never been willing to risk. I've been lucky for over 40 years because I realize the danger and try to minmize it. Tricksters aren't real motorcyclists. They are just stupid show offs that make all riders look bad in the eyes of those who have never known how enjoyable riding a motorcycle is for us who just like to ride responsibly. I don't like to see anyone get hurt. But "stupidy" is supposed to hurt. And it usualy does sooner or later.
I'm not including the pros who race bikes or do stunts in a controlled area meant for that purpose. I admire their talent and skills. I'm talking about the idiots who endanger themselves and others on public highways.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
i love motorcycles. however per CA DMV motorcyclists 16 times more prone to die in a traffic accident than driver of a car.
dont do that to mommy, live ---she worked hard to see you live, show respect for her
die for your family, die for your country but not for tricks they are not for kids.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,187,229 times
the squids who pull these stunts can never and will never be talked out of it. they're just too stupid/ignorant. the only thing that'll ever stop them is if they go down or if someone they know goes down (and even that doesn't guarantee anything). like tortoise said, you just gotta let natural selection weed these 'tards out.

Mike

Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,655,670 times
It's one thing to be dumb enough to do some of these things but to endanger others is so sad. I've seen them on the highway just screaming in and out of traffic. Just so immature...

Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Yeah, that's nuts, and it offends me because the next motorcyclist a lot of those drivers see, they're going to think, "There's another of those idiots".

I like to go fast once in a while, but I always find a place with little or no traffic out in the hinterlands, and I slow down when I see anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles