Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:56 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,660,723 times

Advertisements

Just had an opportunity to ride a Harley for the first time. Been on Honda sport bikes for 29 years and never thought I'd get hooked on anything else but ...WOW. What a sweet feeling. The bike I rode was a 2005 Night train 88 incher and it was nothing like I expected. The thing was way easier to ride than my current CB600F4 despite the fact that it weighs twice as much. Way less rider input required to get it's head pointed where ya want it. Since I'm getting a little older now this style of ride has a lot of appeal over the road rockets I've been on for so long. So...any one have thoughts on what the best bang for the buck is for a Harley or leaving the money issue out whats your favorite pick? Any stories to share or tech talk on bikes of any kind. Just looking to road rap as it were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,232,564 times
LOL......gotta love the enthusiasm (sp)! So, are you looking to buy a Harley now, or are you gonna stay with the road rockets? Now is a great time to buy, a lot of the dealers have dropped their prices, and have huge inventories. I was looking at the 09 heritage yesterday...they were asking less than 19k....
If you get a chance, go to your local HD dealer and take a ride on the cross bones....

Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
im going to get one. i will buy one that is not running with major problems. polish it real good and park it in front of a starbucks and stand around posing in front of it in harley attire. guaranteed i wont die on it. worst thing that can happen is i drink too much coffee.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 AM

52 posts, read 215,866 times
I rode sport bikes most of my adult liffe. I changed to a cruiser last year and went into a curve, lost it and totalled the bike out. I spent 3 days in the hospital, went back to Memphis and bought the exact same bike. Crusiers and sports aren't the same...believe me. Your center of gravity is totally different. I bought a Yamaha 1100 Custom and it is a sweet bike. It's easy to customize and has plenty of power for the interstate. There are 2 drawbacks, when you change the oil you have to completely take off most of the exhaust system to get to the filter. And sometimes at higher speeds the bike feels like it needs a 6th gear. Other then that I would not have any other bike and I've owned everything from HD's to BMW's. As far as drinking and riding all I can say is DON'T. I've had several friends who drink and drive and thought they could drink and ride. Neither is safe but on 2 wheels you are at even more risk.

Whatever you ride.... Ride safe.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,660,723 times
I will be looking to get a Harley within the next year or so. Lol my wife isn't as enthusiastic bout forking out for another bike right away unless I can sell my current one ( it's paid for any way) and have a REAL good down payment. The difference twixt my Honda and the Harley I rode was night and day. Seems I'm doing a lot more on my CB than I was on the Night Train. Could have just been the more laid back ergos but I felt totally in control and tuned in on the Hog ..just more relaxed about it. That also could have been due to the fact that there was no one on the street that didn't know I was there cus of the pipes. Lol way louder than my Honda. having tangled with a car once before and still carrying the scars riding is a thing that I never take for granted. I don't drink anymore anyway but I never let my guard down even on country backroads. Gotta tune in when you get in the saddle. Gonna go up this weekend with my riding buddy and check out some bikes at the local dealership...oh, what a drag. Stay frosty ya'll!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,555,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I will be looking to get a Harley within the next year or so. Lol my wife isn't as enthusiastic bout forking out for another bike right away unless I can sell my current one ( it's paid for any way) and have a REAL good down payment. The difference twixt my Honda and the Harley I rode was night and day. Seems I'm doing a lot more on my CB than I was on the Night Train. Could have just been the more laid back ergos but I felt totally in control and tuned in on the Hog ..just more relaxed about it. That also could have been due to the fact that there was no one on the street that didn't know I was there cus of the pipes. Lol way louder than my Honda. having tangled with a car once before and still carrying the scars riding is a thing that I never take for granted. I don't drink anymore anyway but I never let my guard down even on country backroads. Gotta tune in when you get in the saddle. Gonna go up this weekend with my riding buddy and check out some bikes at the local dealership...oh, what a drag. Stay frosty ya'll!!!

We just recently upgraded from a FatBoy to a Road king and what a difference.
The Rd King is the smallest in the touring bikes and you'll see the difference right away from the softails.

Think about what you want from the bike. If you are just gonna take 100 miles rides around wear you live, the Fatboy or smaller will be fine. But if you plan to make long treks, I would go with the Touring bikes in heartbeat.

They are heavier but the balance and shocks are geared towards...well...touring. lol

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 PM

947 posts, read 3,412,349 times
Why do the Majority of riders on Cruisers Not Wave??? Is it cause I am a Girl!!! I don't get it...!!!

Anyway, I am just on my first bike. Been riding for about 4 years now. I took the Motorcycle Safety course, Great! But still needed a "mentor" for the real world for a while but I ride all the time now!
I love to ride.

Are many of you here weekend riders? Or do you ride very often to work, school, stores, etc?

I try to ride to work most days. I have bags for my Bandit 600S.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,852,573 times
Here in North Idaho, EVERYONE on bikes waves to each other. And my riding group is 3 Harleys, my Ducati, a Road Star, and a wild custom chopper.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,412,349 times
Well, then, they just don't like Me, I guess...

Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Why do the Majority of riders on Cruisers Not Wave??? Is it cause I am a Girl!!! I don't get it...!!!
On the east coast everyone waves to everyone else. Once I moved to AZ, I quickly realized that my BMW is invisible to Harley riders. Never once have I gotten a wave back from one in AZ. In CA yes, not in AZ. I just stopped waving to them. The crotch rocket guys always wave back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles