Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Harley-Davidson Motorcycle would you buy?
Sportster XL883 1 1.85%
Sportster XL883L 0 0%
Sportster XL883C 0 0%
Sportster XL1200N 0 0%
Sportster XL1200L 1 1.85%
Sportster XL1200C 2 3.70%
Sportster XL1200R 3 5.56%
DYNA FXD 0 0%
DYNA FXDC 0 0%
DYNA FXDB 0 0%
DYNA FXDL 1 1.85%
DYNA FXDF 0 0%
DYNA FXDWG 1 1.85%
Softail FXSTB 1 1.85%
Softail FXSTC 0 0%
Softail FXSTF 0 0%
Softail FXSTN 1 1.85%
Softail FXSTC 0 0%
Softail FXSTSB 3 5.56%
Softail FXCW 0 0%
VRSC WRSCAW 3 5.56%
VRSC VRSCD 3 5.56%
VRSC VRSCDX 3 5.56%
Touring Family FLHR 3 5.56%
Touring Family FLHX 0 0%
Touring Family FLTR 0 0%
Touring Family FLHT or FLHTC or FLHCU. 6 11.11%
Own another Harley-Davidson model. 3 5.56%
Don't own a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle. 18 33.33%
Don't own a motorcycle. 8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Ok. If I had to have something from the Motor Company, probably the new XR1200, or a Fat Bob.

That being said, I'd go for a Victory or Confederate "big twin" before most things HD soley due to the poser value. Even if you really ride, you usually will get thrown in with the RUB crowd. Nothing makes me shake my head more than going to a ride, and seeing all the bikes that are trailered in. It's a RIDE, not a pose off. Just for the record, I have my own pair of Vtwins, they just happen to be made by Aprilia.

Harley Davidson - 19th Century technology with 21st Century pricing.

A recent survey found that 94% of all Harley Davidson's made are still on the road. The other 6% made it to their destination.
Been awhile since I heard that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Ok. If I had to have something from the Motor Company, probably the new XR1200, or a Fat Bob.

That being said, I'd go for a Victory or Confederate "big twin" before most things HD soley due to the poser value. Even if you really ride, you usually will get thrown in with the RUB crowd. Nothing makes me shake my head more than going to a ride, and seeing all the bikes that are trailered in. It's a RIDE, not a pose off. Just for the record, I have my own pair of Vtwins, they just happen to be made by Aprilia.

Harley Davidson - 19th Century technology with 21st Century pricing.

A recent survey found that 94% of all Harley Davidson's made are still on the road. The other 6% made it to their destination.
Dunno, maybe things have improved a bit with Victory or the big metric cruisers, but seems like the V-twin design doesn't really cut it for anything longer than a local putt, especially with a passenger.

The look and the simplicity makes it perfect for designing a custom chopper, and the sound & distinctive vibration are admittedly cool around town, but on a long haul, it's hard to compete with a smooth & cushy multi-, or even opposed-jug (beemer) engine design. Not to mention the limits of air-cooling.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Dunno, maybe things have improved a bit with Victory or the big metric cruisers, but seems like the V-twin design doesn't really cut it for anything longer than a local putt, especially with a passenger.

The look and the simplicity makes it perfect for designing a custom chopper, and the sound & distinctive vibration are admittedly cool around town, but on a long haul, it's hard to compete with a smooth & cushy multi-, or even opposed-jug (beemer) engine design. Not to mention the limits of air-cooling.
You need to expand your definition of V-twin to include Ducati, Aprilia, KTM....all have dedicated high-power, liquid cooled, long distance ability.

Why would a flat twin be significantly better than a v for passenger hauling?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:

This my pick as one of the best long haul engines ever built AND it'll make the big twins hunt a hole when it comes to running hard.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Honda. 1500cc's of six cylinder goodness. Brought to you by your local Valkyrie. Sorry to see it gone.

Of course the new 1800 is pretty nice too.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You need to expand your definition of V-twin to include Ducati, Aprilia, KTM....all have dedicated high-power, liquid cooled, long distance ability.

Why would a flat twin be significantly better than a v for passenger hauling?
Sorry, thought it was clear I was talking about traditional 45 degree, air-cooled v-twins (Harley), instead of 90 degree "L-twins" (Ducati), liquid-cooled 60 degree twins (Aprilia), or liquid-cooled 75 degree twins (KTM). In any case, there's still the issue of more vibration than multi-heads, but I guess "comfort" is relative.

Flat twins combine the high torque advantages of all twins, with the smoothness of opposing heads (cancels the vibrations), plus the low center of gravity (easier to handle). Although even BMW twins had to eventually go to liquid (oil)-cooling to reliably allow for larger displacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post

This my pick as one of the best long haul engines ever built AND it'll make the big twins hunt a hole when it comes to running hard.
Ah yes, Goldwings! Big cubes, low center of gravity, and there's probably still no end to what they can push that engine out to. Can't tell... is that the Valkyrie motor?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, thought it was clear I was talking about traditional 45 degree, air-cooled v-twins (Harley), instead of 90 degree "L-twins" (Ducati), liquid-cooled 60 degree twins (Aprilia), or liquid-cooled 75 degree twins (KTM). In any case, there's still the issue of more vibration than multi-heads, but I guess "comfort" is relative.

Flat twins combine the high torque advantages of all twins, with the smoothness of opposing heads (cancels the vibrations), plus the low center of gravity (easier to handle). Although even BMW twins had to eventually go to liquid (oil)-cooling to reliably allow for larger displacements.

Ah yes, Goldwings! Big cubes, low center of gravity, and there's probably still no end to what they can push that engine out to. Can't tell... is that the Valkyrie motor?
Yes it is...that is my current ride too...99 Interstate.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Honda. 1500cc's of six cylinder goodness. Brought to you by your local Valkyrie. Sorry to see it gone.

Of course the new 1800 is pretty nice too.
I have yet to ride an 1800,but I have a friend that has one and it seems to run like a scaulded dog.We are kind of a weird bunch around here...we run the heck out of these big bikes(AND maxi scoots too) and I LOVE them myself.It makes my "secret spot" tingle to pin the ears back on that thing and roll around a group of HD weekend warriors with the Allmans cranked up,cig in my mouth and just flat disappear as they struggle along making a racket.It's one of the few sinful joys I have left in my life since I quit drinking and running around with women of low morals and no class (they couldn't have had any class or they wouldn't have been with me in the first place)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yes it is...that is my current ride too...99 Interstate.
FYI, an interesting Wing conversion:
Goldwing Retriever

Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Muleskinner, you are a good man! Make me laugh anyway and remember my own largely misspent youth "swimmin' with bole-legged wimmen"!

Mateo, that Goldwing hitch is really radical. Great bikes beyond any doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles