Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 08:13 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
An idiot can just as likely rent a sailboat on the Chesapeake (saltwater) and many inland lakes. And I don't care what powers a boat but one should know the rules.
Sure, but any inexperienced idiot knows it's easier to operate a powerboat i.e. start the engine and steer. Hence why it's more likely to find powerboaters who don't know (even) the basics in safety/signals and are unable to identify the stand-on vessel (and act accordingly). It's something I just don't (typically) see/experience relative to sailing; then again, there's a certain (general) comraderie among us due to a shared passion for the sport.

Quote:
And, BTW, sailing is as much an "activity" and as much fun (I suppose but I don't see it) as any activities that can be done on a powerboat (But I don't see the point of water skiing or wakeboarding either).
Sailing is a sport relative to various skill-levels/expertise (which is acquired through instruction and/or experience); hopping into a powerboat and steering is not a sport. There is nothing wrong with water-skiing (or fishing); my point was simply: sailing is the sport in and of itself i.e. there's no point to it otherwise, whereas powerboating is (often) the means to an endgame.

Quote:
And no, the average saltwater "sailor" does not invest any more time/money/instruction/sharpening of skills/etc... then one with a power boat. I have no idea where you came up with that idea! Either one you have those who are interested and fully want to learn and those who really don't give a care.
There are simply fewer people, as a whole, who haven't taken at least a day or two to understand the basics re: safety and acquired at least a minimal skill-set. Else, they aren't going to get very far; meanwhile, the average powerboater hops in and considers himself invincible. Point being, if you don't 'give a care' about sailing (obviously), you aren't going to go sailing -lol. You do the easy thing and rent a powerboat.

Quote:
I have seen more so called "sailor's" doing that then powerboaters by far. have been called number 1 and yelled at so many times by these idiots it's not even funny.
Perhaps you need a new hobby as well (as OP's friends); you don't strike me as the type who would remain calm in the situation and respond as necessary (without yelling back, lol); else, you (most definitely) would see the humor in it (relative to your posts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 10:07 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Perhaps you need a new hobby as well (as OP's friends); you don't strike me as the type who would remain calm in the situation and respond as necessary (without yelling back, lol); else, you (most definitely) would see the humor in it (relative to your posts).
Yea! Whatever. I'm one of the most calm people out there. BTW, boating for me is not a hobby. It is a lifestyle and one that I enjoy. (except when the calm forecast turns out to be 30 plus on the nose and you have 200 miles to go, or when someone clogs the head , or a motor blows in the middle of nowhere) I've been doing it professionally for the last 30 years and still enjoy just being out on the water. I am out there around 200 days a year, from back bays and inshore ocean trips on my little boat to running others sportfishermen out 100 miles or so. And have a couple dozen trips or so from FL to/from Venezuela, assorted islands, Panama, CR, Mexico up to Mag Bay (above Cabo) as well as other fuel stops along the way. In order to successfully do those trips you must remain calm, laugh off the idiots and do your thing.

I don't blast by those boats at all as I let them know my intentions clearly. If they don't want to help themselves, screw um. I'm bumping it up a tad so I can go on by them. Its not my fault they refuse to slow down a bit for 10 seconds so I need to bump it up the extra 2 or so knots to pass, going from no wake to pushing a good bit of water. And of course I give a polite wave and a smile as I go by because I'm a nice guy and they are calling me number 1.

Going for a basic "cruise" to enjoy being out there is no different on a power boat or a sailboat. And from what I've seen, the majority of sailboaters aren't in it for the so called "sport". They are in it because they can get a sailboat considerably cheaper then a comparable sized power boat. They have no clue, don't follow the rules and do stupid things like cross channels in front of approaching commercial vessels, anchor right in the center of a narrow channel and give anybody who uses a motor of any kind the big stink eye!

Perhaps your style is a bit skewed because you are in it for the sport, so of course you probably associate with similar "sailors". Understandable as I associate with people who are into boating for the reasons I'm into it. Fishing is a serious sport and I enjoy it a lot but take it seriously as people are paying me to take them, same thing with running a boat. But I see the majority of people (no matter what kind of boat the have or what kind of sport they are into don't have the knowledge one gets with years of experience. But I still give the majority of them a break as I was once one of them. anybody with years of experience should remmember their own early days.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 01-26-2021 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Heh, I've not experienced it; then again, (saltwater) sailing is a different animal than freshwater boating (which, from my perspective, tends to be full of weekend crowds/traffic and nowhere to go). Sailing is often just as much about the destination i.e. exploration as it is about the skill (as well as the tranquility and/or adrenaline rush/challenge) in getting there.

That said, perhaps the people on your list need a new hobby. :-)
Quote:
It's not a matter of purchasing a boat; in fact, that's the point. The typical 'holiday' freshwater powerboater can rent a boat/hop in (often with little to no knowledge/concern for rules/signals) whereas due to the skill-level required, the average (saltwater) 'sailor' has invested much time (if not money as well) relative to instruction i.e. learning and/or sharpening his skills in practice scenarios (and has likely purchased a sailboat to do so). It's a no-brainer the former is more likely to lose control/stress/cuss (as described by the OP) due to frustration born of ignorance or inexperience.

There's also a difference between sailing (which is the sport in and of itself) vs. powerboaters who are more concerned, generally speaking, with activities/fun on the water (per the thread) i.e. parties, water-skiing and so on.
Dang, I'd probably be able to buy a custom Carolina Sportfish if I had a dollar for every time I hear the Coast Guard calling about a missing sail boat off our coast. I have baled dolphin (Mahi Mahi if you're PC) off several overturned sailboats over the years. Then their was the one with full rigging up that acted as a fad and our whole charter fleet was putting solid catches of bigeye tuna on board over the course of a week. Then there are those that end up on the beaches. And we can't forget the ones who don't read the water in our coastal bays and anchor up (to avoid marina fees) and end up hard aground when the tide goes out. And we only have about a 2 foot tide here!

Yep, those examples sure knew what they are doing.

And yes, I know there are examples of powerboaters being the same way. I think I could add a tower, teak, upgraded electronics and larger motors to that sportfish if I included another dollar per capsized pontoon boat I've seen being towed back in through the inlet or any boat in general that capsizes when they realize they made a mistake trying to go out the inlet and they then try (like an idiot) to turn around.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:02 PM

778 posts, read 503,975 times
It's been my experience that sailors will go out for the day with no destination in mind, other than getting in a good sail, while most powerboaters are heading somewhere. They don't usually just motor from point A to point B then to point C. Burns a lot of fuel. One thing I do like about powerboats is predicted log racing. Any skipper that can do well at that endeavor is going to know his boat, and its environment, very well.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Yea! Whatever. I'm one of the most calm people out there. BTW, boating for me is not a hobby. It is a lifestyle and one that I enjoy.
Given your name, I figured the (real) sport for you was fishing rather than tooling around in a powerboat.

Quote:
I don't blast by those boats at all as I let them know my intentions clearly. If they don't want to help themselves, screw um.
Yeah, this is what I meant (and is much as described by OP, from my perspective); it's 'reacting' to a potentially dangerous situation i.e. 'screw um' rather than responding appropriately (via COLREGs).

In other words, the stand-on vessel has the right-of-way; the specific scenario/boats (and positioning) will define what one does so it's (already) clear to everyone sans yelling or 'making your intentions clear'.

Quote:
Perhaps your style is a bit skewed because you are in it for the sport, so of course you probably associate with similar "sailors".
Everyone who is into sailing is into it for the sport of sailing (whether cruising or racing :-); else, why take the time to learn/master it? That's the point I've been making i.e. all it takes is a few bucks and a few hours to hop on a lake after a couple of beers with a powerboat i.e. 'screw' knowing the basic rules relative to safety.

Many drivers are inexperienced/don't have a clue re: manual transmission (in the same way many potential boaters don't know how to sail). How many would rent a car with a MT for a two-hour drive to enjoy the scenery with a friend(s), when they can get an AT? It's logical reasoning.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Given your name, I figured the (real) sport for you was fishing rather than tooling around in a powerboat.

Yeah, this is what I meant (and is much as described by OP, from my perspective); it's 'reacting' to a potentially dangerous situation i.e. 'screw um' rather than responding appropriately (via COLREGs).

In other words, the stand-on vessel has the right-of-way; the specific scenario/boats (and positioning) will define what one does so it's (already) clear to everyone sans yelling or 'making your intentions clear'.
You do know something was invented a couple of years ago called a radio. It's amazing what one can do with it. One can actually call the vessel in front of him, upon approaching, and let him know your intentions without raising ones voice, and politely ask for him to slow down a little bit for a few seconds. Professional captains (on sail, trawlers, sportfish and motor yachts) know the drill and since you say sailboaters are always well informed and know what to do, I guess those who don't are just being pricks. And those who flip me off because I have asked politely, by radio, and they refused, making me bump it up just a tad to glide on by must be pricks because I have learned in this thread that it can't be due to lack of experience because sailboaters are so much in the know! They see me approaching and do to inexperience they panic upon seeing a big boat speeding up on them. Little do they know that upon approaching, we slow down and our wake gives us a nudge right on by, then when they are in our V we throttle back up and continue on. Whole process should take a few seconds and they'll never rock! But when we have to pass them with throttle at 8 knots because they are doing 6 it will take a bit of time while they are getting rocked the whole time. They have been informed of our intentions. I am talking about narrow channels such as our intercoastal from the Chesapeake to S. FL, not open water such as the main Chesapeake or the Atlantic where we all have plenty of room to do our thing (usually)

Quote:
Everyone who is into sailing is into it for the sport of sailing (whether cruising or racing :-); else, why take the time to learn/master it? That's the point I've been making i.e. all it takes is a few bucks and a few hours to hop on a lake after a couple of beers with a powerboat i.e. 'screw' knowing the basic rules relative to safety.
Wow! Wow! Wow! A few bucks and beers and anybody can drive a power boat. No need to learn anything and gain any experience but sailboaters? Yep, they know all and are in it for the sport.

Wow! Got us yahoos figured out, don't you. Yep! I really don't know what to say. You win. Sailboaters are godlike and powerboaters are drunks. Sailboaters are in it for the "sport" and powerboaters are in it to , um, yea, barhop and drink beers.

Sailboaters "race" (still don't know how anything moving not much faster then a sick slug can be called racing but....) and powerboaters rush to get to point B. Got it!

You do know that many power boaters just go out for a cruise to enjoy a day on the water? Don't you. Nice to take my shallow draft boat way up in the marshes and watch the herons, eagles and osprays. Cruise down the backside of the barrier Islands and watch for wild pony's. Cruise up anmd down the coast taking it all in.

You also know that not anybody can drive a boat. Driving a powerboat is a lot more complicated then just pulling out of a slip and going. A sailboat is no more complicated to do that in either. Most of the time they are running on a motor anyway.

And yes, marlin fishing (charter, private, tournament and travel) has been my career, life, and interest for over 25 years) but that is a young mans sport so now it is my own little outboard CC running a guide service with the occasional freelance offshore trip or tournament) But I also enjoy just taking useless cruises to kill time.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You do know something was invented a couple of years ago called a radio. It's amazing what one can do with it.
Point being, COLREGs. A recreational powerboat is most often near the bottom of the list in terms of higher manueverability re: determination of the stand-on vessel (and how to respond accordingly). There is no need to radio (or state your intention, lol) - unless, perhaps, a (larger) boat i.e. the give-way is not doing so (and there is potential danger).

Quote:
Wow! Got us yahoos figured out, don't you.
(Grins) Happy Sailing!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Point being, COLREGs. A recreational powerboat is most often near the bottom of the list in terms of higher manueverability re: determination of the stand-on vessel (and how to respond accordingly). There is no need to radio (or state your intention, lol) - unless, perhaps, a (larger) boat i.e. the give-way is not doing so (and there is potential danger).

(Grins) Happy Sailing!
And that is all a sailboat is typically. A powerboat, as they are typically moving under power. (NRCFSPS) Quite stupid to go sailing down the narrow channel north/south highway called the intercoastal waterway. And that sail being up at times doesn't fool anybody as we know that motor is what's pushing it along. So again, that sailboat is nothing but a power boat!

And many over on this side of the country have curtesy so we use the radio to inform of our intentions/ask for accommodations because we know many are clueless, don't know the rules and don't know why that big boat is approaching on plane at such speed! Surprising how many professional delivery jockeys who know the deal will call us and tell us to just go on by as we start to slow down as the wakes not a problem.

And here's a coke as I have no alcohol! Not the drunk you think I am, huh! Happy powerboating to you!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
And that is all a sailboat is typically. A powerboat, as they are typically moving under power.
Sure, when a sailboat is not under the operation of its sails, it is considered a powerboat per COLREGs (and other factors, i.e. positioning, come into play in determining the stand-on vessel).

Quote:
And many over on this side of the country have curtesy so we use the radio to inform of our intentions/ask for accommodations because we know many are clueless, don't know the rules and don't know why that big boat is approaching on plane at such speed!
As I stated previously, saltwater sailing is a different animal (in regard to radio protocol as well, apparently).

Quote:
And here's a coke as I have no alcohol! Not the drunk you think I am, huh!
I didn't state I didn't drink (or that you did); but I don't drink and drive (or sail). Many 'holiday' powerboaters do (and they're a danger); it's not rocket science.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:45 AM

Quote:

I didn't state I didn't drink (or that you did); but I don't drink and drive (or sail). Many 'holiday' powerboaters do (and they're a danger); it's not rocket science.
That is why I'm not going to be open for the 3 major boating holidays this season (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day) It just isn't worth the risk. Add cluelessness and alcohol and there is a possibility the day won't end well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles