Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 AM

16,777 posts, read 8,258,413 times

Advertisements

It's a machine for younger people. When I was in my 20's and 30's my reaction time was much better. I saw the light and sold mine when I hit 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,623,749 times
My condolences to the families of the 7 folks who died. I sold my Harley a couple of years ago because moving it from Hawaii back to the mainland is a hassle. I plan on buying another one soon, probably an Indian.

btw, I'm almost 73, and my thought is I don't have that much time to lose

Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,282,142 times
Guess I'll be the contrarian, I used to ride all the time (rain or shine) and I plan on riding again. My kids ride dirt bikes and I would be ok with them riding street bikes. Being a motorcyclist for so long I've heard the stories (amazing how when folks find out you ride they feel the impulse to tell you every horror story they know), I've seen the videos, I've witnessed first hand, and I've been down a few times myself. But then again 13 church goers in a small bus die when they got head-on'd by a pickup not far from here, almost every day there is a report of someone dying in a auto accident in the local news so there you go, those roads are a dangerous place.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,393,769 times
I see people riding the NYC area, its a death wish on the parkways. There was an incident with a motorcycle tail gating a vehicle in the left lane, when the car moved over to the right the motorcycle did the same to pass and was almost hit They motorcycle pulled up next to the car and continued to argue with the driver for a few miles.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:43 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,757,579 times
I spent almost 5 months in hospital after multiple trauma MC accident....Rebuilt that bike and rode it for years until the widow of a friend gave me his to rebuild and ride.... Crap is going to happen regardless of what you do.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 AM

29,772 posts, read 14,825,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Chances are you are going to be in accident sometime in your life no matter what you are driving. A minor accident in car is major accident on a motorcycle. As one example I have hit two deerduring my 30 years of driving and if I was on a bike at least one of those accidents probably would of been fatal because of the speed I was traveling. I would never suggest people shouldn't be allowed to ride a motorcycle but I think they have to be nuts, it's a very big risk no matter which way you look at it.

I've been upside down in a car, was in a boat that flat spun at 80mph, stuffed my boat at 70ish, hooked my boat at 70ish, had several "offs" on a snowmobile at 50 plus, and wiped out on my dirt bike plenty of times. So yeah, I've been in accidents before. But in all those, the reason was operator error, most motorcycle accidents are caused by someone else, no matter how reactive one can ride. Many of us do dangerous activities, we know the dangers but eliminating just one , especially one that is not controlled by us, is key.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:47 AM

29,772 posts, read 14,825,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
My condolences to the families of the 7 folks who died. I sold my Harley a couple of years ago because moving it from Hawaii back to the mainland is a hassle. I plan on buying another one soon, probably an Indian.

btw, I'm almost 73, and my thought is I don't have that much time to lose

Great choice on you're next bike.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:55 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,628,986 times
I ride 25-30 thousand miles a year. What should be done is to charge anyone who "didn't see them" or otherwise murders a biker through their incompetence or inattention with vehicular homicide and lock them up for long periods of time. Pass and enforce cell-phone laws. Start cracking down on stupidity.

I'll admit-part of it goes both ways. There are a lot of riders that don't ride enough to build the skills, reactions and muscle memory to react properly in any kind of incident. That don't practice things like swerving to avoid an object in the road or emergency braking. And that ride without a helmet.

The biggest thing as a rider-ride as if most people are morons and out to kill you and be prepared to react if they do something stupid.

BTW the driver that murdered the 7 bikers has a long history of incidence including multiple DWIs and driving without a license.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,194,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I've been upside down in a car, was in a boat that flat spun at 80mph, stuffed my boat at 70ish, hooked my boat at 70ish, had several "offs" on a snowmobile at 50 plus, and wiped out on my dirt bike plenty of times. So yeah, I've been in accidents before. But in all those, the reason was operator error, most motorcycle accidents are caused by someone else, no matter how reactive one can ride. Many of us do dangerous activities, we know the dangers but eliminating just one , especially one that is not controlled by us, is key.

I have had my share of "operator errors", in hindsight diving off a 30 foot cliff after drinking a six pack was not the greatest plan I ever had. Almost broke my arm on that, water is hard. Closest I came to death was actually on a mountain bike, ripping through the woods probably going 30 or so and my head missed a tree by inches during crash. Nearly everything is a risk but riding a motorcycle is unacceptable IMO, a lot of the risk cannot be mitigated.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,553,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I guess seven of them won’t be smacking off any more side mirrors.
I read these were a group of ex-marine who had formed a sort of an impromptu group to enjoy riding as a group together. I hardly think these folks were the types to go around smacking mirrors off the sides of cars.

As a veeeery long term biker from the get-go age of 15 to the last year of biking for me being just before my 71st B'day I can attest to the fact that cagers are the problem and not primarily or even for the most part, bikers.

I road raced amateur class campaigning a self built Triton for years before giving that up after high-siding a couple of times and the one serious road accident I had was due to a guy driving an Oldsmobile four door pulling into an intersection right smack dab in front of me after looking at me coming with a 100 watt high beam headlight on full time; his comment "I didn't see you" I was riding an 87 Harley FLHS bagger at the time and was only 50 yards from him when he pulled out. I bailed by putting the bike down and that Harley with me slidiing behind destroyed that Olds. My only injury was road rash on one hip.

Today's distracted four wheel drivers are at a whole 'nuhter level of disconnect so yeah I'd discourage anyone I cared for from ever getting on a motorcycle today to go out there amongst the nutcases that think driving a car is just another text exercise.

We won't even begin to discuss the semi-drivers you witness wandering all over the highway with lane discipline a totally foreign concept to them.

These poor people were killed because they were in a tight group having just pulled onto the highway from where they spent the night. I gave up riding in groups in the 80's after witnessing and almost being involved in a similar accident to theirs. A tight group of riders can all be taken out by one person sneezing or swatting a bee behind the wheel.

These folks are deserving of sympathy; not snark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles