Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 05:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,752,832 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about this, because I haven't encountered many people like this growing up. My parents were the type that worked hard and earned a good living, without having anything handed to them. They were motivated to do better than their parents could do for their children. I don't ask for loans or to move in with relatives or to have them cosign for things as an adult. I wouldn't feel good about putting that on another relative. It's another thing if someone is in a bad spot due to a car accident or medical emergency. But not ok, to do just as a way of getting through life.

Anyway, I know someone who's family is regularly doing foolish things like loaning money to relatives who can't pay them back, signing 20k+ car loans for relatives who would obviously not be able to pay based on their past behaviors. There is this pattern of one relative presenting a problem they created from their bad habits or poor money management skills or just plain old unwillingness to live withing their means. Then another relative responds to their sob story and bails them out, figuring all they need is a bit of help and they will be fixed. And that leads to loans not being paid, rent not being paid, bad feelings damaged credit. Time passes and they do the same thing again. What exactly is going on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,752,832 times
nevermind everyone. go about your lives. i delete the post. carry on.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:32 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,589,192 times
Without more info its impossible to judge, answering why. Clarify circumstances for the borrower and lender relative(s); does the borrower have addiction or gambling problems, child support payments, unemployment, low wages? Does the lender or lender(s)have deep pockets; or perhaps whats an issue to you....doesnt bother the lender.

Really....its Sat evening and you're looking for on demand poster responses. Wow.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:07 AM

3,980 posts, read 2,580,153 times
My sister bailed me out several times. I had moved to go to.school that I didn't complete. I lived on student loans and credit cards bec I could find no job. It was bad- I did find some short lived part-time jobs, sold things on craigslist, got help from churches. But it wasn't enough. That is when my sister asked if she could help. She helped me to the tune of 1500.00 over a year or so. Even at this point, I had no idea how I was going to make it.

Finally I did get a full time job and saved up money to move back to WI. But I didn't have enough money and my sister helped me a couple of more times before I got back on my feet.

Don't judge people for taking help or others giving it. It is not anyone's business then the giver and the receiver.

I would not be where I am if not for her help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology